• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another Flex Decision...

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12 team Standard (MBBRL-B)

QB - Russell Wilson
RB - Doug Martin
RB - Frank Gore
WR - Roddy White
WR - Torrey Smith
TE - Antonio Gates
Flex - Cecil Shorts
D/ST - Texans
K - Greg Zuerlein

Bench - Ryan Mathews, DeAndre Hopkins, Joique Bell, Christine Michael, Carson Palmer

Waffling between Shorts, Mathews and Hopkins for Flex. Cecil seems like the safest choice with the Chargers sucking against the Texans and Hopkins not getting enough playing time...thoughts, anyone?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12 team Standard (MBBRL-B)

QB - Russell Wilson
RB - Doug Martin
RB - Frank Gore
WR - Roddy White
WR - Torrey Smith
TE - Antonio Gates
Flex - Cecil Shorts
D/ST - Texans
K - Greg Zuerlein

Bench - Ryan Mathews, DeAndre Hopkins, Joique Bell, Christine Michael, Carson Palmer

Waffling between Shorts, Mathews and Hopkins for Flex. Cecil seems like the safest choice with the Chargers sucking against the Texans and Hopkins not getting enough playing time...thoughts, anyone?

I think you can safely rule out Hopkins since he is just getting back from concussion. Check this blurb from rotoworld:

* DeAndre Hopkins passed his concussion protocol and has been cleared to play, but coach Kubiak describes him as “in a catch-up period right now” after missing two weeks due to his brain injury.

I agree that Shorts is safer, but this is a tough call. I think you have it right though.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh... I'd start Mathews, just to ensure at least a handful of points. Both might get more than a handful, but it would be very weird if Mathews didn't get at least 15 touches, whereas it wouldn't be all that weird if Shorts was only thrown a couple of catchable balls.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthews as well.

He will carry the load and although Houston's defense is tough it's a PPR and I think Rivers will have to be checking down a lot. woodhead will steal some catches but I think Matthews will get a couple shots at a TD at some point tomorrow

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mathews. I wouldn't say a WR for an injured thumb-Gabbert is a safer choice over a starting RB. Yeah, Woodhead will see the field, but I think you're guaranteed (like Will said) 15 touches, whereas Shorts can't guarantee anything but the hope of busting a screen, or beating coverage "and" getting the ball thrown to him. I'd hold off on Shorts at least until Henne takes over.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mathews. I wouldn't say a WR for an injured thumb-Gabbert is a safer choice over a starting RB. Yeah, Woodhead will see the field, but I think you're guaranteed (like Will said) 15 touches, whereas Shorts can't guarantee anything but the hope of busting a screen, or beating coverage "and" getting the ball thrown to him. I'd hold off on Shorts at least until Henne takes over.

I am not sure you are guaranteed anything from Mathews. If the Texans go ahead early, Mathews will be on the sidelines. Woodhead is the 3rd down back and the come from behind guy. I would actually consider Woodhead ahead of Mathews this week.

Also, the idea that Shorts is better with Henne than he was with Gabbert is a myth. The Shorts breakout started against Oakland. Counting that game, and the next 3 with Gabbert,

Shorts averaged 5.25 catches for 89 yards with .5 TDs over those 4 games.

In 5 games with Henne, he averaged 5.2 catches for 83.6 yards and .6 TDs.

Those numbers are remarkably similar. Blackmon will benefit greatly from Henne, but Shorts is good either way as he developed an outstanding rapport with Gabbert. The issue is whether or not Gabbert is healthy enough to throw the ball effectively. I would assume that we would see Henne anyhow if Gabbert is ineffective.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I am in the vast minority, but I am more interested in upside with this decision, and I just don't see much with a guy who rushed 184 times for 3.8 YPC and 1 touchdown last season against a very good Texan's D. Shorts is more likely to get shut out than Mathews is, but I would hate to rely 2 Charger starters when I think the team may have trouble hitting double figures on Sunday. If you want the safe 5 points, then Mathews is your guy. If you think you might need 15 out of your flex spot to win, then you need to go with Shorts.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Chargers get the ball inside the 10 yard line a couple of times and Matthews gets a shot at a TD.

Hard to say he would be anything but my flex but I am not sure Gabbert can even et the ball to Short as he looks to be their only receiving weapon I am sure he will have decent coverage. But thats the great thing about FF. It's fucking guestamations half the time.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Chargers get the ball inside the 10 yard line a couple of times and Matthews gets a shot at a TD.

Hard to say he would be anything but my flex but I am not sure Gabbert can even et the ball to Short as he looks to be their only receiving weapon I am sure he will have decent coverage. But thats the great thing about FF. It's fucking guestamations half the time.

Isn't it though? It is such a great game because of that. My flex scrub can out-produce AP in a 1 week sample.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the input, guys. As of right now i've got Mathews there, but it might change again. I was pretty much thinking along the same lines as Tlance, that if Houston gets ahead early, Mathews becomes irrelevant. On the other hand, Gabbert is no picnic without a splint, let alone with. If not for the catching up Hopkins has to do, I think I would have taken the shot with him.

I can't wait until tomorrow. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue is whether or not Gabbert is healthy enough to throw the ball effectively.

I agree, except I'd insert talented for healthy.

I'm being a little stubborn, but I just can't swing my head around the Jags. I would chalk up the "breakout" from Shorts with Gabbert was more of surprise to the opposing defenses, and more importantly, that's what did happen, not what's going to happen. The Chiefs have 8 guys for MJD and 2 for Cecil, who's left? Hali sacking Gabbert?

Mathews might be horrible, and the Chargers might be playing catch up, but I don't think Woodhead would be out there 90% of the time or anything... I have little doubt the Chargers will give every opportunity to a healthy Mathews to prove something and make their 1st round trade up finally count. Not saying that happens in one game, and certainly not against a solid Texans' D, but I'm just going on opportunity.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see...i'm down 30 points with my opponent having Alfred Morris going tonight, so things aren't looking too bright. I've got Mathews, Gates and the Texans D going...maybe a little counter-productive?

I think i'm gonna bench Mathews and start Hopkins. Don't think I have a lot to lose at this point.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see...i'm down 30 points with my opponent having Alfred Morris going tonight, so things aren't looking too bright. I've got Mathews, Gates and the Texans D going...maybe a little counter-productive?

I think i'm gonna bench Mathews and start Hopkins. Don't think I have a lot to lose at this point.

That may maximize your potential. I would wait to see what Alf does though. If he has a quiet game, (unlikely) you may be better off with Mathews. Hopkins would be the Hail Mary play that wouldn't hurt your D.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That may maximize your potential. I would wait to see what Alf does though. If he has a quiet game, (unlikely) you may be better off with Mathews. Hopkins would be the Hail Mary play that wouldn't hurt your D.

Good idea. Pretty much a crapshoot at this point, but ya never know...