• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another Comeback Possible?

indyflyr

Da Oracle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the "empty locker" issue rule has been in effect long before holmer took the reigns.

can you say mike rathje?

at least pronger took us to one cup final. rathje just took us for a ride.

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought that Pronger and Homer had a deal that he will retire when its time. Its not now but maybe 2 years from now its time. He got the 7 year contract to space out the money for the average cap hit like the Kovy deal. Kovy is only making 2-3 million in the last few years of his contract which he will not be playing.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought that Pronger and Homer had a deal that he will retire when its time. Its not now but maybe 2 years from now its time. He got the 7 year contract to space out the money for the average cap hit like the Kovy deal. Kovy is only making 2-3 million in the last few years of his contract which he will not be playing.

problem is pronger's contract is a 35+ contract.. it doesn't come off the cap when he retires

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
problem is pronger's contract is a 35+ contract.. it doesn't come off the cap when he retires

I did not know that...then yes, that really blows

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not know that...then yes, that really blows

yep yep.. homer put all his eggs in the pronger basket.. its not secret that i hate pronger, but it has to concern even the most ardent pronger backers that with 6 years left on his contract he's re-breaking things* and has a bad back

*the flyers refuse to say it happened, but he definitely rebroke his hand taking shots in practice a few weeks ago

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep yep.. homer put all his eggs in the pronger basket.. its not secret that i hate pronger, but it has to concern even the most ardent pronger backers that with 6 years left on his contract he's re-breaking things* and has a bad back

*the flyers refuse to say it happened, but he definitely rebroke his hand taking shots in practice a few weeks ago

Yeah, I have mixed feelings. Homer did put all of his eggs in hopes of winning the Cup. He came sooo close but no close enough. All we can do is hope that Pronger can stay healthy. Maybe he needs to have his minutes cut way back in the regular season so that he can be relatively healthy for the playoffs.

indyflyr

Da Oracle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
he is 4.9 mill per year. it's not astronomical and he does provide value for the money. clearly we are a better team with him than without. will he age as gracefully as chris chelios? maybe not. but a broken hand is nothing you can pin on age. it's just bad luck.

now if we were on the hook for 6.3 mil a year (timonen's) i'd be ver nervous. but pronger will be a great second pairing stay at home dman, and a real threat on the power play even as he ages. we would pay 3-4 mil for that kind a guy anyway.

i'm not saying you are off base awaz. but there are other aspects of this team that alarm me more than our aging defense gorilla.

i am all for keeping nodl and powe, they come cheap and are decent 3-4 liners. we should resign leino (unless he asks for the moon-on his bum hip). but gone should be zherdev, carcillo, odonnell (who has laid a real egg in the post season vs the reg season), boynton, leighton and boucher.

the only person in the equation, who we can afford to lose due to depth, and who would give us alot of cap room, is carter. hate to say it again - but moving him makes a lot of things at least possible.

....easier said than done. but that's how i see it.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is 4.9 mill per year. it's not astronomical and he does provide value for the money. clearly we are a better team with him than without. will he age as gracefully as chris chelios? maybe not. but a broken hand is nothing you can pin on age. it's just bad luck.

now if we were on the hook for 6.3 mil a year (timonen's) i'd be ver nervous. but pronger will be a great second pairing stay at home dman, and a real threat on the power play even as he ages. we would pay 3-4 mil for that kind a guy anyway.

i'm not saying you are off base awaz. but there are other aspects of this team that alarm me more than our aging defense gorilla.

i am all for keeping nodl and powe, they come cheap and are decent 3-4 liners. we should resign leino (unless he asks for the moon-on his bum hip). but gone should be zherdev, carcillo, odonnell (who has laid a real egg in the post season vs the reg season), boynton, leighton and boucher.

the only person in the equation, who we can afford to lose due to depth, and who would give us alot of cap room, is carter. hate to say it again - but moving him makes a lot of things at least possible.

....easier said than done. but that's how i see it.

i agree that things could be worse, and that there are other aspects that need improved too.. but 4.9 mil is a lot to be on the hook for if he retires before 42 years old, or if his skills (continue to) diminish.. 5 mil is 1/12 of the cap..

that being said, this team IMO has the talent, skill, and depth to win the cup as it stands now.. the problem right now is leadership.. the team has looked lost since the all-star game.. the forwards and defenders seem to be on completely different pages night in and night out.. its just downright depressing to watch a team with the talent to win the cup piss it away and get destroyed by a team with less talent.. i'm not trying to take away from the bruins, but the flyers have more talent/depth.. but the bruins have shown they are the better team.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just cause i've read some posts that reminded me of some things..

you guys all still think trading 2 first round picks, sbisa, and lupul, for pronger was a good deal? anybody still think his 7 yr 4.9 cap hit is a good contract?

he's a 36 year old that is already slowing down (taking penalties doesn't make you a 'physical presence'), has a bad back/hand.. i think the flyers will be the first to be bit by this ridiculously long contracts.. i personally cant wait to see what homer does when 4.9 mil of his cap is going to an empty locker

I have posted elsewhere that I thought this was a bad move moneywise.I also was not fond of them trading Upshall for Carcillo.

Will bitch about other trades/moves in future blogs or threads.

Goooooooo Flyers!

and nobody else.

sportfan09

WHAT THE FUCK
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
hell i always said bouch was a back up no more then that...never expected him to do anything more or less then what he has already done...the pipe smokers thought he was going to be the next marty lol...what the fuck are they smoking for thinking that......trade deadline they could of picked up someone better then what we put out there..my thing is bob should of gotten the experience already knowing bouch was not going to do the job

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two cents..

I can guarantee you that when the Flyers management team was constructing Pronger's multi year contract that they weren't just thinking about his playing career but afterwards when he becomes a assistant coach.

...and make no mistake he WILL be a coach in this league when his playing days are over and he WILL be successful. I'd like to think that when that does happen that it's right here with our Flyer's.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lappy should be an assitant coach before Pronger IMO

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Block puck with face.

4 words. :)

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its alright, you got me yesterday

05-04-2011 08:36 PM Tox_1 We didn't.. >

PhillyBoston781

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Coming back from 3-0 one year was historic. Coming back two years in a row would be more or less impossible.

Besides, after watching game 3, it's clear they gave up after they lost game 2. They just went through the motions in game 3, and I wouldn't expect any different in game 4.

Still, as disappointing as these playoffs have been, I feel like they definitely kicked it up a notch from the way the ended the regular season. They happened to run into two really solid goalies while their own goalies pooped the bed. The Bruins came out way hungrier in game one, but the Flyers were hungrier/better in game two and still lost. I think if Boucher doesn't let in that pathetic second goal, the Flyers win, and we see a different game 3.

This makes me optimistic for next year. In my mind, they really only need to fix one position: goalie. I still don't buy that Richards is a terrible captain or the rest of the team needs to be gutted. They had a bad slump at the wrong time, which sometimes happens when your team played so deep into the playoffs the year before. If it happens again next year, I'll start to worry then. There are A LOT of teams that would love to be in the Flyers shoes going into next year.