• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

And the "Goff Era" begins!

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why you think they are BS useless stats. When they grade every play for every player why wouldn't you want to see that?

Because who says their grades are right/accurate? Themselves? Who says there's no "bias" involved? What are the EXACT formulas? What if the person/people grading miss something? That grade would be completely wrong... Too many questions...

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is for certain is that Robinson is officially a bust.

the last 3 LT's the Rams have drafted have turned out to be busts at their positions ( Smith, Saffold and Robinson )

Saffold has turned out to be a good G, but I do not expect Robinson can do the same.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GRADING QB JARED GOFF’S FIRST NFL START
SAM MONSON3 HOURS AGO

The wait for No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff’s NFL debut is finally over.

In Week 11 against the Miami Dolphins, the Los Angeles Rams quarterback got the first start of his rookie season, playing all 62 snaps and attempting 31 passes. Goff earned a 50.2 overall game grade, 18th-highest among NFL QBs this week.

While the Rams ultimately fell to the Dolphins late in the game, what can we make of Goff’s performance?

The first thing we saw was a game affected by the weather. It was raining in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, and both Goff and Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill had throws that were clearly affected, making it difficult to fairly evaluate either player compared to typical, dry-weather games.

Goff famously struggled as an 18-year-old California freshman against Oregon in the pouring rain, fumbling the ball away on two of Cal’s first three possessions before getting benched late in the first quarter. That game was a virtual monsoon of a rain storm, and nothing at the Coliseum yesterday was even close to that deluge, but it was an interesting wrinkle to throw at the rookie, who must surely have been expecting the weather at his first home game—in Los Angeles—to be anything but a factor.

For those Rams fans hoping to see Goff transform the passing game and breathe life into the offense, it didn’t quite happen that way. Over the course of the game, he only attempted five passes over 10 yards in the air from the line of scrimmage—two of which came in the final three plays, as he tried to mount a forlorn drive to rescue the game—and he didn’t complete any of them.

Goff put one back-shoulder throw more or less where it was supposed to be early in the game, only to see it broken up by CB Byron Maxwell; by and large, though, this was a game of short, underneath passing.

It’s not that Goff didn’t want to look deep, but rather that Miami’s defense was bringing plenty of pressure, and the QB didn’t have an endless amount of time to sit in the pocket and survey the field.

Even with a few plays where he held the ball too long, Goff’s average time to throw was 2.26 seconds, the fourth-fastest time in the league this week. 67.6 percent of the passes he attempted were out in 2.5 seconds or less, again the fourth-highest rate in the league, and his average depth of target was 8.1 yards down field, tied for 18th—one spot above Chiefs QB Alex Smith.

Despite that quick passing offense, Goff was still under pressure on 15 of his 34 dropbacks, and on many of those throws, was inaccurate, though it is difficult to judge how much of that was impacted by the slick conditions.

When kept clean, Goff completed 66.7 percent of his passes, though for just 4.7 yards per attempt, and had a passer rating of 77.3; when he was pressured, those numbers all crashed. He completed just 38.5 percent of passes under pressure, for almost a full yard less per attempt (3.8) and a passer rating of 49.8.

Overall, Goff didn’t make any catastrophic mistakes like the ones that punctuated his preseason performance, which will be encouraging for those looking to see if he was mentally ready for the big stage, having been kept on the bench for so long. He wasn’t working through his progression much, but he didn’t often have the kind of time to get that done. Crucially, though, he wasn’t completely misreading plays, outside of one pass early on that looked like he took the wrong option on a slant/flat combination route to one side of the field.

Goff’s biggest issue in this game was simple inaccuracy. He overthrew his receivers four times, under-threw them once, and missed laterally twice. While Goff was under pressure plenty in college, he was typically pretty accurate even when under duress. Last season, even when hurried, Goff was accurate on 64.7 percent of his passes, good enough for top 10 in the nation, so it seems unlikely that ability would desert him as a pro.

If Goff’s accuracy was significantly affected by the rain, then we’ll get a far better idea of what he can do in a week’s time when the Rams take on the Saints. New Orleans plays in a dome, and also doesn’t have anything like the pass-rush that Miami fields weekly.

Goff’s first NFL action wasn’t exactly a let-down, nor does he look likely to provide any kind of spark to the L.A. offense this season. He is a QB still very much being eased into action, and had his work made even more difficult in Week 11 by playing in the rain.

Related Posts

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds pretty accurate to me?

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds pretty accurate to me?

Of course that sounds right to you, it fits your agenda...It's a basically a bunch of horsecrap assumptions based on one performance, but it fits your agenda, so you post it as gospel...

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course that sounds right to you, it fits your agenda...It's a basically a bunch of horsecrap assumptions based on one performance, but it fits your agenda, so you post it as gospel...

My agenda? That's what you always say but I only post facts not horsecrap lol Or share what others have posted.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My agenda? That's what you always say but I only post facts not horsecrap lol Or share what others have posted.

You see, that's your problem...You THINK you post facts but you do not, you post OPINIONS and there is a HUGE difference between the two..I know for a FACT you have been told this before and not just by myself...

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coug I knew about PFF well before you stumbled upon it midseason of last year. Yes teams may look at it, but it's not the Football Bible" that you think it is. Teams go over their own films and grade their players themselves, I think they have a little more insight on how and why their players played as they did, so get off it. As I've already told you many times, they also take into consideration things like what if this or that happened, not really facts, but " what ifs"

As far as our oline, I'm with LTR, I've watched every game and I've seen the blocking, or lack of blocking first hand, I don't need some stat firm to tell me the opposite of what I'm seeing.

And in the end, our record, scores of games, and just plain results show that our oline is NOT getting it done!

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coug I knew about PFF well before you stumbled upon it midseason of last year. Yes teams may look at it, but it's not the Football Bible" that you think it is. Teams go over their own films and grade their players themselves, I think they have a little more insight on how and why their players played as they did, so get off it. As I've already told you many times, they also take into consideration things like what if this or that happened, not really facts, but " what ifs"

As far as our oline, I'm with LTR, I've watched every game and I've seen the blocking, or lack of blocking first hand, I don't need some stat firm to tell me the opposite of what I'm seeing.

And in the end, our record, scores of games, and just plain results show that our oline is NOT getting it done!

When did I say it was the Bible? Its just used by a lot of people and I find it interesting and helpful. Teams go over their own film? what is your point do you think they are going to share that info? well you can watch the game all you want but I don't have a problem with nfl experts breaking down every play and giving a grade. We all know you don't know a good QB when you see one. Whats the problem? Our OL ranks 26th in the NFL it is bad but its not the worse.

so do you disagree with the article?

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RANKING ALL 32 NFL OFFENSIVE LINES ENTERING WEEK 11
Senior Analyst Sam Monson ranks every NFL O-line, with the Dallas Cowboys owning the top spot.

SAM MONSON | 5 DAYS AGO
GettyImages-622852986-300x282.jpg

(Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)

In the past when we have brought you offensive line rankings, they have been based purely on the play-by-play grading of each player on each play over the season. Entering Week 11, however, we are going to focus on things through a slightly different lens.

The team of Pro Football Focus analysts has crafted a metric that looks solely at the offensive line using some of the more in-depth and complex data in PFF’s database to come up with a statistical way of evaluating line play, as well as a more subjective grading one.

This PFF O-Line metric assesses the performance of each line in the run game, as well as how well they are pass protecting their QB, all while adjusting for the quality of opponent.

One of the first takeaways from this is that, if you thought there was an offensive line problem in the NFL, you weren’t imagining it. There are some quality units in the league, but it’s amazing just how quickly the list gets into average territory, and how highly ranked you can be with a major hole or two on your line—simply because everybody else has a worse one.

And according to the numbers, the Dallas offensive line isn’t just the best in the league this season—the Cowboys have fielded a top-five O-line in each of the past three seasons, forming something of an offensive line dynasty.

For more on the methodology behind PFF’s new offensive line metric, see the bottom of this article.

1. Dallas Cowboys (85.0)
This won’t come as a galloping shock to anybody, but the Dallas Cowboys own the best offensive line in the game, and that’s reflected in just about every way you care to measure it. As a run-blocking force, there is little that can hold up to the Cowboys’ road-graders, and they have been able to gain Ezekiel Elliott 439 rushing yards before contact this season in just nine games. As a unit, they have surrendered just 71 total pressures in pass protection, the second-best mark in the league, and if anything, they actually got significantly better when they lost LG La’el Collins to injury and Ronald Leary came into the lineup. Leary has yet to surrender a sack or hit in 2016.

2. Philadelphia Eagles (83.0)
The only team to allow fewer total QB pressures as a unit than the Cowboys this season is the Philadelphia Eagles (70), but they can’t match the Dallas line when it comes to run blocking. Philadelphia’s line also won’t be quite as strong going forward, given RT Lane Johnson’s suspension; Johnson was playing at an All-Pro level this year. His replacement, Halapoulivaati Vaitai, started off extremely poorly, but has improved with each subsequent start, and has been fine in each of the past two games. Free-agent acquisition G Brandon Brooks has been the standout performer on this unit, allowing just eight total pressures this season and also run blocking well.

3. Oakland Raiders (82.8)
On paper heading into the season, the Oakland Raiders had put together an offensive line that could challenge Dallas for the crown of best in the league. While it hasn’t quite hit those heights consistently, the Raiders’ unit has at least moved to the sharp end of these rankings and is not a million miles away from the top. There is no real weak link to this unit, and they have suffered from a laundry list of injuries at the right tackle spot; while Austin Howard isn’t able to hold up to the likes of Von Miller, though, he can withstand the onslaught from most other pass-rushers on that side.

4. Buffalo Bills (82.2)
The Bills definitely have an issue on the line, and while RT Jordan Mills threatened to maintain passable play earlier in the season, that has fallen off a cliff lately, as he has recorded two of his worst games in the past three weeks, surrendering 17 total pressures and four sacks against the Dolphins and Seahawks—two good pass-rushing teams. Elsewhere, though, the line has been solid, and LT Cordy Glenn has yet to surrender a sack or hit on the QB, despite Tyrod Taylor having the league’s highest average time to throw (by some distance, in fact, at 3.05 seconds).

5. Green Bay Packers (81.9)
Nothing compares to Green Bay’s pass protection this season, despite the team struggling more than usual the last two weeks in that regard. They have allowed 72 total pressures, which is the third-best total in the league, but on a per-dropback basis, they have the best pass protection in football, despite Aaron Rodgers routinely trying to drag out plays in the vain hope that somebody will come open at some point in the play. As a run-blocking unit, they are actually pretty good, the Packers just rarely seem to ask them to prove it.

25. Denver Broncos (66.7)
The Denver Broncos line is actually okay, outside of one prohibitive position that threatens to sink the whole ship. At right tackle, Donald Stephenson and Ty Sambrailo alternate getting eviscerated by opposing pass-rushers, sometimes both within the same game. As a pair, they have surrendered six sacks and 46 total QB pressures on the season, which would be the most in the league if they were one right tackle. Russell Okung has been better, but he himself is responsible for 38 total QB pressures, second-most among left tackles in the league.

26. Los Angeles Rams (65.8)
The state of the Rams’ offensive line has to have weighed heavily on Jeff Fisher’s reluctance to throw Jared Goff into the firing line for so long. It isn’t the worst line in the league, but it’s a bigger problem than you’d like for a rookie struggling to adjust. The good news is that they are better in pass protection than they are running the ball. They have surrendered just 92 total QB pressures on the season, and have the 14th-best pas-blocking efficiency. The real problem is run blocking, where Todd Gurley has gained a massive 70.3 percent of his rushing yards after contact over the season. He averages 3.1 yards per carry in 2016, and 2.2 of them have come after being hit.

27. Baltimore Ravens (65.2)
This line looked far better on paper heading into the season, but rookie LT Ronnie Stanley has looked little like his preseason self, having allowed 18 total QB pressures despite missing some time injured. When he hasn’t been playing, fellow rookie Alex Lewis has been asked to kick out to man his left tackle spot, and that went about as badly as you would expect any guard playing left tackle to go (21 total QB pressures in three games at left tackle). When healthy, Marshal Yanda has been among the league’s best guards, but he has missed time, and there has been little else positive on the Ravens’ line this season.

28. New York Jets (62.0)
When LG James Carpenter is arguably the best player on the line, you know you have some issues. C Nick Mangold still has a claim to that title as well, but Mangold is a shell of his former greatness, and has been far from great as a run blocker, in particular. The tackle spots have been the real problem on this line, though, with Ryan Clady, Ben Ijalana, and Breno Giacomini combining to surrender 11 sacks and 74 total QB pressures on the season, with 10 penalties thrown in as well. QB play in New York has not been good, but that’s a tough situation to succeed in.

29. Seattle Seahawks (61.2)
Make no mistake, this is a terrible offensive line, but the last-ditch attempt to resurrect the career of Justin Britt has at least been a success, as he has been a solid center, with a PFF grade of 80.5. Even Britt’s season has been more inconsistent than good, and the rest of the line has been a complete mess, with terrible play coming from the other four spots, regardless of who lines up there. This unit had some success against the Patriots on Sunday night, but this was a failing more of the Patriots’ defensive front than any lasting positive from the Seahawks’ O-line.

30. San Francisco 49ers (59.3)
It’s only four years since the 49ers owned the league’s best offensive line. Like the rest of the roster, this unit has collapsed into ruin. Nobody on the line has a PFF overall grade above 80.0, and even LT Joe Staley, for years one of the league’s best tackles, has surrendered 31 total QB pressures, though his run blocking has at least remained strong. This is a line with no real strength, though it is at least better run blocking than it has been pass protecting.

31. Minnesota Vikings (58.9)
It’s no secret that the Vikings’ offensive line has struggled badly, and without the play of Joe Berger in the middle, it would probably be at the bottom of this list. Berger has been good, if not as good as a year ago, and is PFF’s sixth-ranked center with a grade of 84.5; the next-highest grade on the line, however, is 72.3 from Alex Boone, and the current four-starters outside of Berger average a PFF grade of 51.5. T.J. Clemmings in particular has been a disaster at tackle, surrendering 24 total pressures and owning one of the worst grades we have ever given a tackle over the past 10 seasons of grading.

32. San Diego Chargers (57.0)
It seems hard to believe there is a line worse than the Vikings or Seahawks this season, but at least in this metric, the San Diego Chargers take that award. The Chargers have allowed 147 total pressures over the season, worse than every team outside of Indianapolis, and with a QB getting rid of the ball significantly faster on average (2.45 seconds per attempt vs 2.75, the difference between 18th place in the league and 33rd). The run game may look better, but Melvin Gordon has gained 518 of his 838 rushing yards (61.2 percent) after contact, breaking 28 tackles to make it happen, so that flatters the blocking.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for him going downfield. Didn't see the game

image.png

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mannion at least has looked good against the competition he's played against. 3rd string whatever.

Has Goff looked good against anyone?

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if you go by those O-line rankings, you can't blame the O-line for our anemic offense cause Seattle's O-line is worse and they are winning.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if you go by those O-line rankings, you can't blame the O-line for our anemic offense cause Seattle's O-line is worse and they are winning.

Wilson covers up a lot of bad. That throw he had running full speed to his left and wrist flicked it like 12 yds was a bullet and it went for a TD. Just an amazing throw.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did I say it was the Bible? Its just used by a lot of people and I find it interesting and helpful. Teams go over their own film? what is your point do you think they are going to share that info? well you can watch the game all you want but I don't have a problem with nfl experts breaking down every play and giving a grade. We all know you don't know a good QB when you see one. Whats the problem? Our OL ranks 26th in the NFL it is bad but its not the worse.

so do you disagree with the article?

Well first of all, you always have to tell us what PFF has to say about things, so ya it's "your bible", it's always your argument about things, "well PFF said this, PFF has them ranked as this" those of us that actually watch the games don't give a shit what PFF "thinks" we actually see the results.
As far as your question on teams not sharing their info on breaking down film, I didn't say they do, my point was and is, they don't need PFF to tell them who played well and who didn't, so you are the one saying teams use PFF.

And don't even get me started on who knows a quality QB when they see one, better point was "we all" know you don't ave a clue!

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So did the kid look good with 3 TDs against Nawlins or was it during mop-up time?

Did he move the chains? Did he go downfield or was it the dink/dunk show?

Give me your eye test - I don't care what CBS or PFF are saying..

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So did the kid look good with 3 TDs against Nawlins or was it during mop-up time?

I believe he had all of his tds in the 1st half! It was a close game up until that point! Then we got blown out and simply embarrasses beyond disbelief after that! Goff fumbled and had a pick. I didn't see the pick, but it looked like a Ram lineman was pushed/bull rushed right back into Goff causing the fumble.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he had all of his tds in the 1st half! It was a close game up until that point! Then we got blown out and simply embarrasses beyond disbelief after that! Goff fumbled and had a pick. I didn't see the pick, but it looked like a Ram lineman was pushed/bull rushed right back into Goff causing the fumble.

That's about right....The fumble was his fault, but it was a rookie mistake he'll learn from...The entire Saints D-line ripped through our O-line(shocker lol) and Goff turned his back on the pass-rush, something you NEVER do...

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no quarterback competition, it is Goff's job.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All 3 TD's were in the first half. The first one was a real nice 30 yard perfect rainbow to Austin in single coverage into the end zone that dropped over the defender right into Austins hands. The second one was set up by the D as Donald almost killed Brees and forced a fumble the Rams recovered on the Saint 7 yard line. on the first play Goff hit Britt on a quick Slant nice pass Britt made a nice move and scored. Third one was a 15 yard bullet to Kendrick's another great pass. Seemed the second half the Saints adjusted and shut down the Rams offense.