• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

And So It Begins...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got back from Day 1 of the road to the series...or road to purgatory depending o your view I guess. I don't go enough these days to write about it like I did years ago, but just wanted to rub in the fact that it was 80 degrees around 11:30 with blue skies and green grass. :)

A crowd of about 50 people were there at that time watching a lot of pitchers fielding practice. Also some work with bunting with the catchers (wasn't very pretty though I guess it was only day 1). Then a little BP with catchers. Iannetta, Clevenger, Lerud, Baron, Littlewood, and Zunino were the ones we saw.

As far as pitchers go, everyone was taking a turn in fielding drills. Felix was going half speed at best which is his usual way. He was wearing a hoodie the whole time though it was 80 out. He ramps up his workouts starting in a week or two. It works for him. Walker looked great physically. Strong kid. Iwakuma looked good moving around the field as did Paxton who didn't get hurt while moving. Hultzen as well was moving well.

Since I am almost 50, seeing the coaches is getting more exciting then seeing the players...lol. Wilson just towers over our catchers. He looks like he could still play. Saw Mike Hampton who was also in good shape and looked like the 20 ear old kid who was here a couple decades ago. Servais was playing catch at one point with one of the pitchers and just looks the part. I was telling my wife how I hate seeing sports leaders who look like they never played the game and are there 50 pounds overweight (Lloyd). I know there probably isn't anything to that, but I like a guy that looks the part about Servais does. Alvin Davis was also there smiling up a storm. He was talking with two guys next to me who must of been former players. He just seems so nice. My highlight was seeing Edgar walk pass me and saying hi. Dipoto was walking around the fields watching and wearing a polo and jeans. I showed my wife him, and she said no way he looks too young...he is a year younger than me...lol.

There weren't any fielders working out though most are all there somewhere. They had music blasting the whole time which is something they have done the last couple of years, but the music volume was much higher it seemed. Made it fun.

Like I said, not much to report since not much going on but it has started once again. Our first game is the 6th so maybe I will have something to post from there.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and one minor change, except for the people watching, this is the first year I have ever seen them wearing uniforms with names on the back. Usually you are trying to guess some of the lower end guys names, but this year all have names making it fan friendly. I like that more than most would.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got back from Day 1 of the road to the series...or road to purgatory depending o your view I guess. I don't go enough these days to write about it like I did years ago, but just wanted to rub in the fact that it was 80 degrees around 11:30 with blue skies and green grass. :)

A crowd of about 50 people were there at that time watching a lot of pitchers fielding practice. Also some work with bunting with the catchers (wasn't very pretty though I guess it was only day 1). Then a little BP with catchers. Iannetta, Clevenger, Lerud, Baron, Littlewood, and Zunino were the ones we saw.

As far as pitchers go, everyone was taking a turn in fielding drills. Felix was going half speed at best which is his usual way. He was wearing a hoodie the whole time though it was 80 out. He ramps up his workouts starting in a week or two. It works for him. Walker looked great physically. Strong kid. Iwakuma looked good moving around the field as did Paxton who didn't get hurt while moving. Hultzen as well was moving well.

Since I am almost 50, seeing the coaches is getting more exciting then seeing the players...lol. Wilson just towers over our catchers. He looks like he could still play. Saw Mike Hampton who was also in good shape and looked like the 20 ear old kid who was here a couple decades ago. Servais was playing catch at one point with one of the pitchers and just looks the part. I was telling my wife how I hate seeing sports leaders who look like they never played the game and are there 50 pounds overweight (Lloyd). I know there probably isn't anything to that, but I like a guy that looks the part about Servais does. Alvin Davis was also there smiling up a storm. He was talking with two guys next to me who must of been former players. He just seems so nice. My highlight was seeing Edgar walk pass me and saying hi. Dipoto was walking around the fields watching and wearing a polo and jeans. I showed my wife him, and she said no way he looks too young...he is a year younger than me...lol.

There weren't any fielders working out though most are all there somewhere. They had music blasting the whole time which is something they have done the last couple of years, but the music volume was much higher it seemed. Made it fun.

Like I said, not much to report since not much going on but it has started once again. Our first game is the 6th so maybe I will have something to post from there.
Thanks so much for the update.

I've always wanted to go to ST, so I'll live vicariously through you.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zona, where do you recommend going down there. Heading down there for a week of games the 14th through 18th

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zona, where do you recommend going down there. Heading down there for a week of games the 14th through 18th

The ASU store...lol! Funny, I will be at games the 12th and 13th and then the 19th. I will just miss you.

One thing I like to do is go watch them practice during the day even on game days. It is usually early morning and you get up close and personal with players...and it is free. If you want to watch another team or two, Surprise Stadium, Camelback Ranch (Dodgers & White Sox), or Goodyear Park (Reds and Indians0 are all within 30 minutes of M's Stadium. If you are sticking around Peoria, then there are a ton of bar/restaurants just across the M's stadium. It all depends on what you want to do. There is plenty to do or just sit back and enjoy the sun.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Tempe? I've been there and it's not a place to go with the wife and kids. We'll definitely hit practices, we'll be at Surprise by the Royals but are coming down the Mariners home games

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Tempe? I've been there and it's not a place to go with the wife and kids. We'll definitely hit practices, we'll be at Surprise by the Royals but are coming down the Mariners home games

I don't hang in Tempe. That is about an hour from me and way too big of an area. I am actually in Surprise about 5 minutes from Royals stadium. Just remember that a normal 20 minute drive from Royals stadium area to Mariners stadium now takes about 40 minutes this time of year. Surprise is a better family area for sure. There is a nice little family park right bu Royals stadium.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ASU store...lol! Funny, I will be at games the 12th and 13th and then the 19th. I will just miss you.

One thing I like to do is go watch them practice during the day even on game days. It is usually early morning and you get up close and personal with players...and it is free. If you want to watch another team or two, Surprise Stadium, Camelback Ranch (Dodgers & White Sox), or Goodyear Park (Reds and Indians0 are all within 30 minutes of M's Stadium. If you are sticking around Peoria, then there are a ton of bar/restaurants just across the M's stadium. It all depends on what you want to do. There is plenty to do or just sit back and enjoy the sun.

The Giants stadium is a pretty cool place to watch a game as well... I went to 4 games last year and the Giants game was the nicest imo, a lot had to do with the atmosphere as well...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants stadium is a pretty cool place to watch a game as well... I went to 4 games last year and the Giants game was the nicest imo, a lot had to do with the atmosphere as well...

True, but probably the priciest in the area and not as close if staying in Surprise. Not place though.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but probably the priciest in the area and not as close if staying in Surprise. Not place though.

Yeah, it is a bit more being in Scottsdale... Now that I remember, parking was a bit of a challenge too...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The in laws said it's about 30 minutes to Peoria, so it should be fun down there. Just going to be there all week so no clue what's down that area.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AZ, I always enjoy your spring training updates. Keep em coming when you can.

Last spring I was able to make it down there for a few days. Had a blast. Some of the things I enjoyed most were seeing the younger guys play and going to the different ball parks, some of the parks are pretty cool. Not sure if I will be able to make it again this year, I'll be in Maui the last couple weeks of March, so if I go I will be there the first week or two.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The in laws said it's about 30 minutes to Peoria, so it should be fun down there. Just going to be there all week so no clue what's down that area.

Like I said, 20 minute drive that can take 40 on the wrong traffic day (a lot of old people here...lol). Easiest way, by direction, is just to take Bell all the way down. Straight shot til 83rd then go right then stadium a few blocks down on left. Neither Surprise nor Peoria are like Phoenix so much easier to get around even with the crowds. You will enjoy it.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and one minor change, except for the people watching, this is the first year I have ever seen them wearing uniforms with names on the back. Usually you are trying to guess some of the lower end guys names, but this year all have names making it fan friendly. I like that more than most would.

I guess I wasn't the only one who noticed;

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took my 20 month old grandson to M's practice today and got him his first M's hat and Felix t-shirt. He wears the hat backwards on his own and people crack up over it. Seager walked by him when he was standing at the fence and Seager talked to him and told him 'See ya big guy'. Kind of fun for a grandpa. Then a photographer took pictures of him and then he and a couple people with id's came out and when I turned around he was taking more pictures of him. I will have to see if I can find them on-line somewhere. Even though my grandson didn't know a single player, he had a ball running around the facility.

As far as what little I observed when I wasn't chasing the kid, I got to see Cano and Cruz walk by. Edgar and Wilson as well. Hampton walked right by us and he looks like he could play today. Watched the Korean 1B practice some defense and he is huge. Also saw Lind for the first time. Just basic stuff, but enjoyable.