• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

An Honest Klay Thompson Question

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an article on the Players Tribune by CJ McCollum on Elite Guards (his playoff edition, he has others which notes other players as well).

Elite Guards 101: Playoff Edition | The Players' Tribune

Here's a few things I found notable in his assessment of Klay Thompson

"Klay is hunting shots at all times, and he’s a master of getting defensive switches. Why is a defensive switch a problem against Klay? Because he only needs a half-second of confusion to rise up and get his shot off. On any given possession, he might run through multiple screens until he gets to his desired spot on the floor. This puts defenders in a tough position, because they have to be mentally engaged at all times, not just when Klay has the ball in his hands."

"One big point I want everyone to understand: The reason it’s so tough to guard a guy like Klay, especially in a playoff series over multiple games, is because you have to expend so much energy on the defensive end. You’re constantly moving, so even if you play great D and freeze him out for a possession, you’re running back down on offense a little more gassed than if you were guarding a player who stands in the corner or over-dribbles."

"Remember, this offense/defense energy formula applies to Klay, too. That’s what’s so impressive about him. He’s often guarding the best player on the other team. He’s given the toughest assignment and is still able to carry the load offensively."
I can't understand why a lot of people refuse to give Klay the credit that he deserves. He's stepped up his game tremendously since being drafted. Have to give credit where credit is due.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a much better shooter than Matthews. I looked it up from 3, and its 42% to 39% (I rounded up). That 3% is a sizable difference. Plus, Klay is more versatile than he's given credit for. If he had his own team, he'd put numbers on par with other top SGs like Harden (well, he's a PG now but still).

To me, Klay is like a modern day James Worthy. Could be the star on many other teams in the league, but would rather win championships.

tebowGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, Klay is like a modern day James Worthy. Could be the star on many other teams in the league, but would rather win championships.

Klay is extremely overrated defensively and he benefits greatly from the system and talent surrounding him.

He can't create his shot well enough to be a main star.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klay is extremely overrated defensively and he benefits greatly from the system and talent surrounding him.

Do you watch the NBA? Did you see when Curry missed games?

Even I have come around on Klay. It took a long time for me to stop blaming him for his dad for making me have to to hear Chick keep saying, "...and Thompson...blows the layup..." after Kareem retired.

tebowGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even I have come around on Klay. It took a long time for me to stop blaming him for his dad for making me have to to hear Chick keep saying, "...and Thompson...blows the layup..." after Kareem retired.

It's quite apparent that you don't, or simply that when you do, you don't comprehend the game.

Anyone with a high basketball IQ realizes Klay doesn't have the handles or one on one ability to consistently be the main star of a team. He is great in his role, which is constant movement in a very good system that allows him to get space all game long to launch.

Put the ball in his hands and ask him to create on his own team and his entire game will implode.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's hilarious, considering Klay had the exact same problem his first two years in the league. They were referred to as "Klay-ups" here in the bay. He's since eradicated that problem and is now an excellent finisher.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's quite apparent that you don't, or simply that when you do, you don't comprehend the game.

Anyone with a high basketball IQ realizes Klay doesn't have the handles or one on one ability to consistently be the main star of a team. He is great in his role, which is constant movement in a very good system that allows him to get space all game long to launch.

Put the ball in his hands and ask him to create on his own team and his entire game will implode.
I guess that all depends on what the coach asks him to do as the main star. He played quite well as the main star when Curry was out, but sure he would not be the guy that I would pick first to build my team around.

But extremely overrated defender? Come on.

tebowGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that all depends on what the coach asks him to do as the main star. He played quite well as the main star when Curry was out, but sure he would not be the guy that I would pick first to build my team around.

But extremely overrated defender? Come on.

I have no idea how he got this reputation as some kind of lock down defender; he definitely isn't.

Kyrie absolutely embarrassed him in the finals to the point where they thought Curry had a better chance defending him.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea how he got this reputation as some kind of lock down defender; he definitely isn't.

Kyrie absolutely embarrassed him in the finals to the point where they thought Curry had a better chance defending him.
SAying he couldn't stop one of the quickest and best point guards in the league is like saying GAry Payton couldn't defend because he couldn't stop Jordan.

tebowGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SAying he couldn't stop one of the quickest and best point guards in the league is like saying GAry Payton couldn't defend because he couldn't stop Jordan.

Jordan shot 41% in the finals against the Sonics...at least GP could slow down the GOAT.

Thompson didn't even come close.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting comment.

Anybody with a high basketball IQ knows that "handles" and "1 on 1 ability" are completely irrelevant for a player like Klay. He is such a fantastic shooter, he does not need to ever isolate. All he needs is to catch with a tiny bit of space and he can either rise up or lift the defender and attack the rim. Klay is no role player. He is a great scorer who needs ball movement to be successful. Yet, you knock him claiming he is selfish and knock him again because he isn't an ISO scorer. I am entirely convinced you don't know what you are saying.

As for the defense, you couldn't be more wrong.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^THIS^^^

Interesting comment.

Anybody with a high basketball IQ knows that "handles" and "1 on 1 ability" are completely irrelevant for a player like Klay. He is such a fantastic shooter, he does not need to ever isolate. All he needs is to catch with a tiny bit of space and he can either rise up or lift the defender and attack the rim. Klay is no role player. He is a great scorer who needs ball movement to be successful. Yet, you knock him claiming he is selfish and knock him again because he isn't an ISO scorer. I am entirely convinced you don't know what you are saying.

As for the defense, you couldn't be more wrong.

^^^THIS too^^^

tebowGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klay's the odd man out.

Those of you who think he can run his own team will get your wish soon enough.

They should unload him to try and get an elite big.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klay's the odd man out.

Those of you who think he can run his own team will get your wish soon enough.

They should unload him to try and get an elite big.
The Lakers will gladly take him -

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thompson is a good player and I would love to see him play for the Lakers. Due to the changes with Durant coming in, it appears his shot selection is suffering, but that should change in a few games. He will need to bring his shooting up to 20 to 22 per game as he did last year. if he does that he will be okay and it looks like he brought it up in the second game. The only thing I believe is that his rebounds and assists could improve some. That would require him to play more defense and defense is what the Warriors need to work on imo, but it's only been two games. We gotta see another 15 to 20 games to know what the personality of the Warriors will be. I means seriously give them a chance before burn them at stake

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL assists are what we want as fantasy owners, but I get what you're saying...kind of. If he was the aplha, I see Klay as somewhat a Ray Allen-type in the playmaking department with less pure-scoring instincts.
If Durant takes more shots, then I think Curry's and Thompsons ppg will drop, but yes - their apg will go up, but so will their rebounds. Hard to see if the fantasy value is just as good or better than last year, but I think their true numbers might suffer some in the first half of the season. In the mean time Westbrook gave me 80 points tonight in one of my Fantasy leagues:yahoo: