• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

An Honest Klay Thompson Question

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The season gets under way in less than three days and the Warriors hype will likely can in full circle.

I will post my Top 50 players tomorrow and I'm sure just about all of you will have Klay Thompson in your top 15. With that in mind, I pose an honest question and am looking for serious answers -

What separates Klay from Dallas' Wesley Matthews as individual players? - To me, I don't see too many differences other than the fact that Klay is younger and healthier. Both shoot close to 40 percent from three and both are solid wing defenders, and neither contribute a whole lot else in the stat sheet. And if you want more irony - Both players had fathers on that great '87 Lakers team.

All in all, I think Klay will have an adjustment in store for him because he's going to have to find different ways to impact a game with Steph and KD likely to dominate possession of the ball...

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klay had a very good preseason meshing with the two alphas...It will be interesting to see how Kerr manages each player's shot opportunities during the regular season.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a much better shooter than Matthews. I looked it up from 3, and its 42% to 39% (I rounded up). That 3% is a sizable difference. Plus, Klay is more versatile than he's given credit for. If he had his own team, he'd put numbers on par with other top SGs like Harden (well, he's a PG now but still).

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a much better shooter than Matthews. I looked it up from 3, and its 42% to 39% (I rounded up). That 3% is a sizable difference. Plus, Klay is more versatile than he's given credit for. If he had his own team, he'd put numbers on par with other top SGs like Harden (well, he's a PG now but still).

But are you convinced that he can be a team's top playmaker without an elite PG next to him (which is something Harden doesn't have)? I just don't see it. He's perfect for Steve Kerr's style, but I just don't see him as a franchise player-type. Sorry.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Warriors has a great team, but with Kevin Durant in the mix, I would expect Durants, Thompsons and Curry's ppg and rpg to go down. The apg's might be better so their fantasy value might hurt a bit, but once those guys get together - they will be great. Next time one of those guys is a free agent - I expect Thompson might bolt - especially if he has a couple of titles and wants to be the main one.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Warriors has a great team, but with Kevin Durant in the mix, I would expect Durants, Thompsons and Curry's ppg and rpg to go down. The apg's might be better so their fantasy value might hurt a bit, but once those guys get together - they will be great. Next time one of those guys is a free agent - I expect Thompson might bolt - especially if he has a couple of titles and wants to be the main one.

LOL assists are what we want as fantasy owners, but I get what you're saying...kind of. If he was the aplha, I see Klay as somewhat a Ray Allen-type in the playmaking department with less pure-scoring instincts.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL assists are what we want as fantasy owners, but I get what you're saying...kind of. If he was the aplha, I see Klay as somewhat a Ray Allen-type in the playmaking department with less pure-scoring instincts.
Well even the assists can be iffy - it just depends on the rotation. I think it's a question mark - for me I had a choice in one of my leagues between Curry and Chris Paul and decided I'd go with the one who isn't competing with four super star - lol. If those guys can learn to work together though - they will dominate for the next several years easily.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thompson is more a second top ten player - not in the top ten for me - Not a role player, but between the best and role players. I would love for the Lakers to get him and in order for him to grow - He might have to leave the Warriors

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thompson is more a second top ten player - not in the top ten for me - Not a role player, but between the best and role players. I would love for the Lakers to get him and in order for him to grow - He might have to leave the Warriors

Thompson, Ingram, and Russell could be interesting, but the problem will be that Klay is going to be 32 be the time those guys reach their prime.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But are you convinced that he can be a team's top playmaker without an elite PG next to him (which is something Harden doesn't have)? I just don't see it. He's perfect for Steve Kerr's style, but I just don't see him as a franchise player-type. Sorry.

Yeah, I think he could. He doesn't need an elite PG, just an above average one would suffice. From watching him play, I see no reason why he couldn't have the same type of impact as Reggie Miller if you were to build your team around him

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thompson, Ingram, and Russell could be interesting, but the problem will be that Klay is going to be 32 be the time those guys reach their prime.
The ship has done sailed on the Lakers getting players like Thompson. They have their team and are home growing it. In a couple of years they will be the next Warriors team and they will be contenders without Thompson. I think the Lakers would want some one defensive minded any way - if the second round pick Zubac turns out to be good, they will have a seven foot center that could help.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think he could. He doesn't need an elite PG, just an above average one would suffice. From watching him play, I see no reason why he couldn't have the same type of impact as Reggie Miller if you were to build your team around him
I'd agree with this, though i'm not sure he has the straight killer mentality that Reggie had.

I know i'd give my middle nut to see him on the court with John Wall :D

CodeBreaker

Dismember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klay's skill set is my ideal shooting guard. Streaky shooter. Can defend well. 3 point assassin. Game changer when his hands are on fire.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hes the top of the tier 3 and D player....hes a rich mans rich mans 3 and D player....other than that? i dunno. it would be intersting to see

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about writing a lengthy post here about Klay, but it's really not necessary. Take a look at the playoff games that Klay had while Steph was out this past year. Look at his production as the clear cut #1 on the team. In the 2nd round against the Blazers, he averaged 31 points a game. Look at game 6 against the Thunder.

There's not a chance that Wesley Matthews is capable of that.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about writing a lengthy post here about Klay, but it's really not necessary. Take a look at the playoff games that Klay had while Steph was out this past year. Look at his production as the clear cut #1 on the team. In the 2nd round against the Blazers, he averaged 31 points a game. Look at game 6 against the Thunder.

There's not a chance that Wesley Matthews is capable of that.

There is one more huge difference:

Defense

Wes Mat is a nice player, but he is not asked to defend the other team's best guard night in and night out. Klay is an elite wing defender.

Also, let's talk about 3 point shooting for a second. Last year, Klay shot 42.3% from deep on 9.6 attempts per game while Matthews shot 36% on 6.7 attempts. That is drastic. Not only is Klay's percentage MUCH better, but he takes more shots and more difficult shots.

Lastly, Klay's scoring average was almost double Matthews' last season. There is no comparison here. Klay is the best SG in the league, IMO Matthews is a quality complimentary piece. Nothing more.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you fail to realize about the Warriors is that their guys are not limited to one role. They share roles depending on the line up on the floor making them truly versatile.

For example, last season Kerr had Steph coming out of the game with about a min or two left in the 1st quarter and Klay starting the 2nd quarter with the 2nd unit. Klay & Dray were the only two starters (sometimes Bogut) with that second unit for at least half the quarter. That meant he was their main scorer. He moves great without the ball- and we've seen improvements in that area during this year's pre season.

He is an excellent defender- even on guys that are bigger than him. He can spot up and shoot (probably his best offensive attribute IMO) and he can cut and make plays using screens. He can shoot off the dribble in transition and he can get to the rim. With this many ways of scoring- and adding his defensive prowess to the mix- it is really questionable why you have him listed @ 22 on your list.

tebowGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't trust Thompson...dude is an egomaniac and refuses to accept his role as a role player.

He or Green may blow that team up.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an article on the Players Tribune by CJ McCollum on Elite Guards (his playoff edition, he has others which notes other players as well).

Elite Guards 101: Playoff Edition | The Players' Tribune

Here's a few things I found notable in his assessment of Klay Thompson

"Klay is hunting shots at all times, and he’s a master of getting defensive switches. Why is a defensive switch a problem against Klay? Because he only needs a half-second of confusion to rise up and get his shot off. On any given possession, he might run through multiple screens until he gets to his desired spot on the floor. This puts defenders in a tough position, because they have to be mentally engaged at all times, not just when Klay has the ball in his hands."

"One big point I want everyone to understand: The reason it’s so tough to guard a guy like Klay, especially in a playoff series over multiple games, is because you have to expend so much energy on the defensive end. You’re constantly moving, so even if you play great D and freeze him out for a possession, you’re running back down on offense a little more gassed than if you were guarding a player who stands in the corner or over-dribbles."

"Remember, this offense/defense energy formula applies to Klay, too. That’s what’s so impressive about him. He’s often guarding the best player on the other team. He’s given the toughest assignment and is still able to carry the load offensively."