• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

amerson

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington Redskins defensive coordinator Joe Barry's appearance on ESPN980 last week led to this blog post, about what defensive stat mattered most to the overall team success. (For what it's worth, third-down percentage was not on there; did not go that deep. But for those asking: The top two teams over the past three seasons have losing records. Six of the top 10 have winning records. Seattle, whose defense was top four in the other categories, was 10th for the last three seasons combined. However, last season nine of the top 10 teams on third down had winning records. So, yes, it's huge as well and should have been mentioned in the article. Now you know.)

Anyway, back to Barry. He offered comments on a few other topics of interest during his time with Chris Cooley, Steve Czaban and Al Galdi:

On running the 3-4: "I was a 4-3 guy for years and then the last four years in San Diego, being involved in the 3-4. That’s the thing people don’t realize: You’re in a base 3-4 about 15-18 snaps a game because the NFL has gotten to the point where it’s a sub league, meaning they’re in nickel personnel groups about 75 to 80 percent of the time. When you’re talking about a base 3-4 team or a base 4-3 team, that’s 20 percent of the game. The other 80 percent you’re in nickel, you’re in dime. So, no, I really don’t get hung up and caught up in base 4-3 or base 3-4. I learned it. I really enjoyed it the last four years and it’s a perfect fit here because we are built from a base defense to be a 3-4.”

i
On the safety position: “Scot (McCloughan) did a phenomenal job in bringing Dashon Goldson (pictured) here and bringing Chris Culliver here, who are two outstanding players who have had great careers and played at a high level. Getting Dashon late in the game like we did is really going to help. [Duke] Ihenacho's here, Jeron Johnson is here and a handful of other guys will compete for those positions. With Dashon, just being around him the last five weeks, he’s exactly what you want in that position back there. He’s the quarterback of the secondary and Culliver just wants to get in your face and be physical and get his hands on you. You can’t ask for anything more from a corner.”

On the impact of Stephen Paea and Terrance Knighton: “That’s the thing that’s exciting about Stephen Paea: He is a pass-rusher. That’s the element he brings. He can get off the ball and he’s a very natural pass-rusher. He had good success last year as a pass-rusher. Terrance Knighton ... for a big dude, he’s very nimble, very athletic and he can pass rush. He really can. the thing with [Jason Hatcher], we’re going to turn Hatch loose. We’ll let him get off the ball and go. That’s when he’s at his best. We won’t ask him to mirror and do things on the line. We’re going to let him play on the edge and let him get off the ball and go cause havoc.”

On David Amerson: “I really don’t care what’s transpired with him in the past. I just know what he’s been the last five weeks. He’s been great. He’s been locked in. He’s been a true professional in the classroom. He’s working his butt off in the weight room. The limited amount of stuff we’re able to do with him on the field he’s been great. From a skill set he has everything you want. He has to continue to develop the next four weeks. Him and [Bashaud] Breeland, those are two good, young exciting players.”

barry had some good things to say about amerson . hopefully he has turned the corner(pardon the pun )

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting he seems to like Goldson a lot and hopes for Jeron Johnson to play well. I think a lot of us see it just the opposite.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldson can't cover, so welcome to the club for him. Hopefully, Jeron Johnson (or Duke Ihenacho) can do better in coverage. As for Amerson, I'm hoping last year was a case of him just quitting because the Redskins tanked early. That's not obviously good, but at least it doesn't speak to a lack of talent. But Amerson has shown some iffy decisionmaking in zone coverage. He doesn't know when to pick up a receiver or let one go. That's why you saw a whole lot of blown coverages when he was on the field.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest i don't have a lot of faith in amerson, but if he came around that would be big.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest i don't have a lot of faith in amerson, but if he came around that would be big.
I look at it as a chance for him to rise with competition. A lot of players slump a bit in their 2nd year, add in a new coaching regime and some better players up front and who knows.

Hoping for the best.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know people are cringing but rumor has it breeland could go to FS sometime in the future . a lot of that depends on amerson