• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

America's Team

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a recent poll has shown the Broncos have now become "America's Team." The Broncos are actually the most popular team across the country. No surprise but Peyton Manning is the most popular NFL player across the country as well getting 22% of all votes with Tom Brady coming in 2nd at 13% of the votes.

I will never call us "America's Team" as I think that can be the kiss of death for any team but cool to see our team being the #1 team that most want to watch on a Sunday.

3rd Annual NFL Poll - Public Policy Polling

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you, cd; I'll never call the Broncos "America's Team". Always thought it was silly when Dallas was given that nickname, since I knew that NYG, Philly, and Redskins fans felt otherwise. LOL

Also agree that however misguided that nickname is, trying to hang it on Denver is really just a reflection of PM's popularity among NFL fans, much like I suspect that the general popularity of Staubach was instrumental in the media first dubbing Dallas "America's Team".

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with both of you. We're now "America's team" simply because of Peyton Manning. I bet a large chunk of these fans couldn't tell you the names of 5 players on our defense. I know there are a lot of REAL Bronco fans out there, but the increase of heads on the bandwagon isn't surprising to me at all.

Just got my renewal notice for my NFL.com preseason package. 1 month fellas :yahoo:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos became "America's Team" in 2011 when Tebow led them on an improbably playoff run. People who didn't even follow the NFL became "Broncos fans" at least long enough to see what would happen. We probably retained a few of those "fans" and some of them may eventually grow into actual Broncos fans someday.

I still get people ask me my thoughts on how "the Broncos did Tebow." It's annoying.

Manning's popularity has catapulted the Broncos status, lately. This isn't some washed up old QB who was released by his long-time team with whom he had won a Super Bowl. This is a QB who was released by his team and went on to have possibly the best two-year stretch for a QB in NFL history. Super Bowl loss notwithstanding, these two seasons have easily been the best of his career.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Based on popularity, America's team changes with every team. Who's popular changes every year.

2) Just because people want to watch, doesn't mean people want to see you win. Remember, millions tune in every week to watch the Cowboys lose.

3) "America's team" will always be the Cowboys and it will always haunt them. It was a stupid, stupid move. They don't get that it's a slap in the face to the rest of the league.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Based on popularity, America's team changes with every team. Who's popular changes every year.

This is pretty intuitive, really. No team is "America's team." But every year there is a most popular team. Sometimes a team will have a run for a few seasons, even. But no team ever stays on top forever, either in competitive status or popularity.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's actually funny how that came about with Dallas. Must have been a combination of huge state, major political venue, states that had no nfl teams and some states that had teams but lousy fans. :)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with both of you. We're now "America's team" simply because of Peyton Manning. I bet a large chunk of these fans couldn't tell you the names of 5 players on our defense. I know there are a lot of REAL Bronco fans out there, but the increase of heads on the bandwagon isn't surprising to me at all.

Just got my renewal notice for my NFL.com preseason package. 1 month fellas :yahoo:

Just curious Doc, I guess you don't have NFL Network available to you,right?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2) Just because people want to watch, doesn't mean people want to see you win. Remember, millions tune in every week to watch the Cowboys lose.

3) "America's team" will always be the Cowboys and it will always haunt them. It was a stupid, stupid move. They don't get that it's a slap in the face to the rest of the league.

ALways haunt us? I hope it does, we have won at least 3 SB's since it began "haunting" us. :suds:

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious Doc, I guess you don't have NFL Network available to you,right?

Yah....my cable provider finally got it the year before last, but living in Florida I'm much more likely to have East coast games broadcast on the NFL network itself, as opposed to Bronco games. I know it's only preseason, but it's only $20 for the 4 preseason games, and I can just log in online and stream all 4 of the preseason games.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another fool that thinks the Cowboys came up with that. Do some research pal. They had nothing to do with that nickname.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blaming the Cowboys for that name is like blaming a lion for name "king of the beasts."

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The article actually says the Broncos are the favorite team of those who voted...Not as you put it just the favorite to watch. Just like if somebody asked you who your favorite team is...You would say the Steelers. So not sure what you are trying to say really. Maybe read the article first then comment.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah....my cable provider finally got it the year before last, but living in Florida I'm much more likely to have East coast games broadcast on the NFL network itself, as opposed to Bronco games. I know it's only preseason, but it's only $20 for the 4 preseason games, and I can just log in online and stream all 4 of the preseason games.

Yeah Doc, just looked at schedule and Denver is on only once vs SF.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL Network actually does play every game eventually. Problem is it might be 2-3 days after the Broncos have actually played that they will air it. I have NFL Network and still get the subscription. Couple of reasons as I do like to watch the game within 24 hours of it actually being played. I also love being able especially during the preseason to go back and rewatch plays over and over again to see different players and how they are doing individually in a game. Not everybody likes to do that but I love seeing the young potential on the team and what we can look forward to in the future.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4) A lot of people spend more time talking about the Cowboys than their own team. Their have been studies to suggest that it's caused by a deep seeded resentment of their own team.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also just a quick note to get everybody excited for the season...We are 10 days away from Training Camp starting! Just 10 more days of a very very long off season that I never thought would end.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another fool that thinks the Cowboys came up with that. Do some research pal. They had nothing to do with that nickname.

I always thought that that the nickname was something cooked up by the media to acknowledge the team's on field success at the time (late '70s), how regularly they played on national TV, and the wholesome image of their QB Staubach, who starred at the Naval Academy before serving in Vietnam.

To the extent that this wiki report is accurate, however, the Cowboys organization actually originated the phrase "America's Team", which then became popularized in the broader media:

America's Team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excerpt:
"The nickname originated with the team's 1978 highlight film, where the narrator opens with the following introduction: They appear on television so often that their faces are as familiar to the public as presidents and movie stars. They are the Dallas Cowboys, "America's Team"."

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL Network actually does play every game eventually. Problem is it might be 2-3 days after the Broncos have actually played that they will air it. I have NFL Network and still get the subscription. Couple of reasons as I do like to watch the game within 24 hours of it actually being played. I also love being able especially during the preseason to go back and rewatch plays over and over again to see different players and how they are doing individually in a game. Not everybody likes to do that but I love seeing the young potential on the team and what we can look forward to in the future.

Me too cd. I'm too prone to dive directly into box scores on any given morning, so I'd rather just cough up the $20 for the preseason deal, so that I can watch them live. It is cool that NFLN re-airs all the games, but by then I'm already well aware of the outcome :suds: