• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Amendola's fate.....

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.... is no different than Edelman's fate was last year, in his own hands. Many observers had Edelman cut last year and he did nothing less than earn his own fate. Amendola will have to be more aware of his own body (pulled groins and hamstrings should be avoidable), but he had the tools to earn a good contract.

Let see if he can use those tools. I think he can have a very big impact this year.

Bjcanney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to try to predict what will happen to Amendola, but I think it would be wise for the Pats to hang on to him. Sure his salary may say otherwise, but the fact is if you cut him there isn't going to be that much of a savings to justify trying to find another guy to learn the patriots scheme. We all are discouraged with his production last year, but we knew and I'm sure the patriots knew the type of WR they were getting when they signed him.

But remember week 1 of last year? Amendola took over that game to even give us a shot to beat the Bills and he was playing injured. Unfortunately, with a new WR in a new system any missed time causes things to unravel and chemistry is lost with the QB especially if Amendola couldn't practice to maintain some consistency. I think we all would be speaking a different tune if Amendola wasn't injured week 1 and was able to string a few productive games together to give us fans so confidence that he can be productive when healthy.

Let's not abandon all hope on Amendola after one year. Based on Edelman's history as well (I believe last year was is first full, non-injured year) that we can probably expect Edelman to miss some time this year too and I'd rather have Amendola than any other guy trying to fill that unique skill set to play that slot position in the Pats system. Amendola can also return Punts which makes Edelman more valuable than just a receiver.

Everyone of our receivers was banged up last year and missed time except Edelman. There needs to quality depth and while Lafell may add it, he is in year one with the Patriots, with a QB with a much different playing style than what he was familiar with in Carolina.

I personally am satisfied with Having Amendola, Edelman, Dobson, Boyce, Lafell, Thompkins, Harrison as our WR depth. The Pats are going to try and find the TE replacement for Hernandez which affects the number if WRs on the field, but there is a learning curve for any rookie and being stocked with interchangable pieces is vital.

I hope the Pats keep Amendola, because he can do exactly what Edelman did last year if he stays healthy which is the exact same thing we were saying about Edelman last year, only that he was being compared to Welker.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally am satisfied with Having Amendola, Edelman, Dobson, Boyce, Lafell, Thompkins, Harrison as our WR depth. The Pats are going to try and find the TE replacement for Hernandez which affects the number if WRs on the field, but there is a learning curve for any rookie and being stocked with interchangable pieces is vital.

Adding in slater for special teams makes that 8 roster spots at WR. I just don't see it.

Two of Harrison, Amendola, Lafell, and Boyce (maybe slater, although that means we have to replace his special teams production) probably have to go.

Bjcanney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding in slater for special teams makes that 8 roster spots at WR. I just don't see it.

Two of Harrison, Amendola, Lafell, and Boyce (maybe slater, although that means we have to replace his special teams production) probably have to go.

I agree JDM and I forgot about Slater. There is no way they ditch him. I think Harrison ends up on the PS again and it will come down to Boyce, Lafell, Thompkins(I like this guy a ton though). If Edelman goes down which he likely will get banged up as history says its a good chance, there is nobody that can step in except Amendola. If Dobson doesn't heal quickly or gets banged up Boyce, Lafell and Thompkins can step in. And at this point only Lafell and Thompkins don't have any ST value which could be part of the decision.

I think Amendola's status will become clear after the draft as there are some prospects in the draft that could be a back up to Edelman. Amendola we all know can be very productive, but do you bank $4M that it will happen or to be a backup.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue is already too many bodies. We don't add another one.

Amendola brings nothing unique. Edelman does what he does better, and the young guys simply have to step up and be productive. They were when healthy last year. Also if you're just worried about reliable targets to take the pressure off Brady, Vereen can do that out of the backfield as well.

Bjcanney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that reliable targets for Brady are minimal. I mean looked what happen when Gronk went out with no viable pass catching TE behind him on the depth chart.

Now if there is no backup for Edelman which guy steps up? Vareen missed 8 games last year and he hasn't been healthy since joining the league either.

I mean what are the chances that the Pats are decimated by injuries again like they were last year. The Pats offense wasn't all that effective or had much of a pulse when they were down Gronk, Amendola and Vareen for the stretch the Pats were pulling wins out of thin air.

But you are right another body at WR doesn't make sense, maybe they add a RB and hope Vareen can stay healthy and pick up the slack if Edelman is hurt.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It takes time and reps to build the chemistry with Brady to be reliable. Let the young guys grow into that role.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It takes time and reps to build the chemistry with Brady to be reliable. Let the young guys grow into that role.

Dunno if this comment is off topic, but remember when Edelman rolled on Hernandez foot and injured him, and AH missed some games? I'm surprised AH didn't pull a gun and shoot him!
j/k :suds:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started a post early in the season about all the groin and hamstring issues. Let's not forget this is a training issue (because of new rules) We don't want to be thinking this is a bunch of pussies. They are going to have to train before camp!

Gronk's injury was a real tough one to watch. A body block on the knee just as he stretched and planted - would have happened to anybody. Can fix it with a shorter stride at the catch.....