• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AMC Theatres Will Now Charge Premium Prices Based on Seat Location

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats a debate i have always wanted to have... and i really have no basis to my opinion... just an observation...

But classic movies became classic because we were told they were classic...

WHat i mean by that.. Before DVR, On demand and even VCR, we were only watching movies at home that were played by tv...

Not many movie goers ever would see the same movie often at theatres... so when you claim to see a movie often it was likely because it was on tv...

Which movies do you think TV played most often... and do you think that was based on QUALITY??

i mean, it seems weird to me that when you ask anyone 50 or older they all have a favourite movie or 2... and their lists seem to all be similar...

but if you ask a 40 year old or younger, they have a much more difficult time choosing their favourite movies... and the lists seem much more eclectic...

yes, i left off a specific decade... of any decade of growing up... i feel like the 80s children love their movies and music more than any other generation.... i cant explain why this is... but they seem to all just wish they were still in the 80s...
Imho, the biggest example of this is Its a Wonderful Life. It is a cute-ish movie, but it is NOT a Christmas movie. It is considered a Christmas movie only because it is/was literally played on loop during the season by the owner of the movie.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seats $15.
Seats without a sticky floor $17
Seats without spilled popcorn $18
Seats without constantly talking neighbors $20

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imho, the biggest example of this is Its a Wonderful Life. It is a cute-ish movie, but it is NOT a Christmas movie. It is considered a Christmas movie only because it is/was literally played on loop during the season by the owner of the movie.

christmas movies are an entire different animal.... because many movies have became a families tradition... which creates nostalgia for all age groups.... best example of this is A Christmas Story...

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We watch it every year. Along with Miracle on 34th Street.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a few years for me too and it's been several more years since I attended some blockbuster with a full house. They just don't make many movies for adults anymore and the ones they do there's rarely an issue finding a good seat.

The "adult movies" are now free on the internet...

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"A toast to my big brother George: the richest man in town."

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

another interesting relation is that movies/music your parents loved the child is more likely to like as well... parents push their interests all the time without even realizing...

I see this with my nieces and nephews... My brother in law is a huge packers fan, even though we live in new york... his kids, are huge packer fans... why?? clearly because the dad... they enjoy the same sports, and dislike the same sports...

a couple months ago one of my nephews wanted to see goonies... so i showed him goonies... there is no reason a young child should ever want to see goonies if it wasnt for their parents over-rating it due to nostalgic reasons...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We watch it every year. Along with Miracle on 34th Street.
Miracle (and ACS) are true Christmas movies. The movies are ABOUT Christmas. They can’t exist without Christmas in them. The season isn’t just a character in the story, the entire story is about the season.

IaWL (and Die Hard) only coincidently take place during the Christmas season (and in IaWL’s case, really just the climax of the story). But culture (and Ted Turner, primarily) has pounded the fact that it is a Christmas movie into our heads for so long that the sheeple just accept it as fact, without actually looking at the movie to see if it were actually true.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is a classic though and a great movie and I'd even push back on the claim that it is not a Christmas movie. Die Hard is not a Christmas movie. Its a Wonderful Life is imo.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats a debate i have always wanted to have... and i really have no basis to my opinion... just an observation...

But classic movies became classic because we were told they were classic...

WHat i mean by that.. Before DVR, On demand and even VCR, we were only watching movies at home that were played by tv...

Not many movie goers ever would see the same movie often at theatres... so when you claim to see a movie often it was likely because it was on tv...

Which movies do you think TV played most often... and do you think that was based on QUALITY??

i mean, it seems weird to me that when you ask anyone 50 or older they all have a favourite movie or 2... and their lists seem to all be similar...

but if you ask a 40 year old or younger, they have a much more difficult time choosing their favourite movies... and the lists seem much more eclectic...

yes, i left off a specific decade... of any decade of growing up... i feel like the 80s children love their movies and music more than any other generation.... i cant explain why this is... but they seem to all just wish they were still in the 80s...
As someone that was born in the 80's I feel like this is true. I've always liked movies more than music though. While I've really enjoyed some movies before I was born, most of the movies I enjoy the most I'd say come from the 80's-90's.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update based on personal experience now that I was roped into going to an AMC by friends who insisted on going to it since it was closer:

AMC's claim that "prices will average the same because some seats will be discounted" is COMPLETE BULLSHIT. That claim would only be true if the number of seats discounted equaled the number of seats bumped up in price.

However, at my local AMC, the ONLY seats that are discounted are the awful VERY FIRST ROW of seats, that put your face up against the screen so you have to turn your head back to look up the entire movie.

Meanwhile, half the seats in each room now count as "premium" seats and have gone up in price. Basically, in an average room, about 40% of the seats went up in price, about 50% stayed the same price, and only about 10% went down in price, so the overall price has increased. They also now have the ushers checking that you are in the seat it says on your ticket.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update based on personal experience now that I was roped into going to an AMC by friends who insisted on going to it since it was closer:

AMC's claim that "prices will average the same because some seats will be discounted" is COMPLETE BULLSHIT. That claim would only be true if the number of seats discounted equaled the number of seats bumped up in price.

However, at my local AMC, the ONLY seats that are discounted are the awful VERY FIRST ROW of seats, that put your face up against the screen so you have to turn your head back to look up the entire movie.

Meanwhile, half the seats in each room now count as "premium" seats and have gone up in price. Basically, in an average room, about 40% of the seats went up in price, about 50% stayed the same price, and only about 10% went down in price, so the overall price has increased. They also now have the ushers checking that you are in the seat it says on your ticket.
I think I am glad I just bought my 75 incher. I typically only go to the theater once every other month or so, but with MCU putting out trash after trash, I have removed them from my “theater requirement” going forward and with theaters upping their prices, my theater attendance will be next to nothing moving forward.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Saturday night at the movies, who cares what picture you see,
When you're huggin' with your baby in the back row of the balcony."

Drifters, 1965, for those who are interested. Not that long ago, but sometime, maybe ten years ago, I read that the demographic buying movie tickets in this country was teenage boys, so it's not surprising that movie makers are gearing their productions to teenage boys. I don't watch superhero movies or monster movies or horror movies or cartoons. I used to watch sci-fi, but that's all become just special effects and weird costumes. I watched the old Battlestar Galactica sometime back, and realized that it was the same plot as The Guns of Navarone, without Anthony Quinn and the rest. Outland with Sean Connery, set in the future in a mining colony on a on of Jupiter, is instantly recognizable as High Noon.

The last movie we saw in a theater was the new Top Gun, and before that the Queen biopic.

If the movies want me to go, they have to make better movies.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And itDumb idea is dead…

gone christmas GIF

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1