• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Amari Cooper to SF???

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think San fran would be bat served with white, Parker, dgb

Better athletes who don't rely on precision, route running as much

With the qb , the precision part scares me

I don't necessarily agree with that. To date, Kap hasn't been a good jump ball thrower. That's where those "superior athletes" would excel over Cooper. But a better route runner is more likely to get more open, meaning the QB doesn't have to be as accurate. It's not like Cooper is a bad athlete. He's got very good speed and quickness which, coupled with his route-running and savvy, should enable him to get a step or two with some regularity.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds:
I don't necessarily agree with that. To date, Kap hasn't been a good jump ball thrower. That's where those "superior athletes" would excel over Cooper. But a better route runner is more likely to get more open, meaning the QB doesn't have to be as accurate. It's not like Cooper is a bad athlete. He's got very good speed and quickness which, coupled with his route-running and savvy, should enable him to get a step or two with some regularity.

cant argue the point.......i can see it both ways.......

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i repeat.....a Franchise QB. if there isn't any for our scheme, then don't jump into the top 7.

You didn't say that. You said you didn't like moving up, especially for Cooper. That tends to suggest there's something about Cooper specifically that you don't like. Then you said you would generally do it for a franchise QB. None of that says you would only move up for a QB.

Is this a hard and fast rule, that it's never worth it to move up into the top-7 except for a QB? Or is that just this year for the Niners?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Isn't that how 2012 played out when Crabtree had over 1,000 yards receiving?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
don't like jumping into the top 7, especially for Cooper.

For this year, not worth moving into the top 7 for Cooper.

generally, would be for it if it was for a Franchise QB.

"generally" meaning any draft, this year and future drafts. MOST of the time i wouldn't trade up from 15th to 7th, but not a 'hard and fast' rule.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any one nervous that Cooper might be like Crabtree(meaning his play style). I think I would rather have White, Parker or DG). Just my opinion. I don't know if Im a big cooper fan. Don't get me wrong he is a nice player. I don't know if he fits the needs that we are looking for. I want a guy that can go get the ball in the redzone.

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting a little emotional just reading this right now.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Any one nervous that Cooper might be like Crabtree(meaning his play style). I think I would rather have White, Parker or DG). Just my opinion. I don't know if Im a big cooper fan. Don't get me wrong he is a nice player. I don't know if he fits the needs that we are looking for. I want a guy that can go get the ball in the redzone.

A few thoughts on this.

First, I don't see the Cooper and Crabtree comparisons at all. Cooper is much faster. Crabtree never tested, so it's tough to say for sure, but Cooper ran in the upper 4.3s (his time was reported incorrectly initially) and timed very well on the shuttle and three-cone. Crabtree had some very good short-area quickness for a guy his size, but he's not in Cooper's league in terms of speed.

If we're talking a comparison to Crabtree, based on the limited reps that I've seen of these guys, I think Parker is probably the most similar. Good but not great size. Doesn't play all that fast. Pretty fluid athlete, some physicality but not a Boldin type. I think he's got a lot of similarities to Crabtree coming out.

Finally, I'm not so sure a Crabtree type isn't precisely what we're looking for. The 2012 Crabtree, a fluid, fairly physical player who ran good routes and had great instincts for getting open in the short and mid-range area - with some ability to get deep occasionally - would be a great complement to a guy like Torrey Smith. And Crabtree was a good red zone threat. He isn't a Calvin Johnson just throw it up type (and certainly not in terms of running fades to the back pylon), but he runs very effective slants near the goal line, and was a pretty consistent red zone threat for most of his career with the Niners. In 2012, all eight of his regular season red zone receptions went for TDs, though I don't know how many times he was targeted. Given a choice, I'd always prefer speed, but given that we just added some outside speed, I'd be absolutely fine with a very good guy who can excel in traffic and close to the LOS.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would agree with Crimson. He details the differences well. I would also say pre-injury Crabtree was a good receiver. Unfortunately, Crabtree wasn't able to return to 2012 form. The Achilles injury seems to have affected his burst. Add in all the other foot injuries he's had. Had he not been injury prone, might havr been a better receiver

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for input. I watched a lot of videos on all 5 Wrs and I just don't feel great about Cooper. My order: White, parker, DGB, Cooper and then Strong. Im k with any of them.

White: Can be a star player. Adds Excitement at the position
Parker: That go getter WR. Great hands. Neg: Injury (foot)
DG: Highest Ceiling. Also can be a Bust. Take a chance pick
Cooper: Little bit of everything.
Strong: Climbing up boards. Not as talented as the others but not a Bad Plan B.

Should be fun to see who we draft.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for input. I watched a lot of videos on all 5 Wrs and I just don't feel great about Cooper. My order: White, parker, DGB, Cooper and then Strong. Im k with any of them.

White: Can be a star player. Adds Excitement at the position
Parker: That go getter WR. Great hands. Neg: Injury (foot)
DG: Highest Ceiling. Also can be a Bust. Take a chance pick
Cooper: Little bit of everything.
Strong: Climbing up boards. Not as talented as the others but not a Bad Plan B.

Should be fun to see who we draft.

Had a dream that we picked a punter in the first round.

Oops. I meant:

Had a nightmare that we picked a punter in the first round.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance we pick a DL if one of the guys fell.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance we pick a DL if one of the guys fell.

LOL, of course there is. No one really knows what Baalke is going to do. Most people seem to think WR, but you never know. I doubt anyone saw the 49ers drafting Aldon Smith with the first pick. That is why I pay little attention to mock drafts. The only draft picks that matter are the ones made by Baalke.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, of course there is. No one really knows what Baalke is going to do. Most people seem to think WR, but you never know. I doubt anyone saw the 49ers drafting Aldon Smith with the first pick. That is why I pay little attention to mock drafts. The only draft picks that matter are the ones made by Baalke.

Yeah Aldon and Jenkins came out of nowhere for me. Eric Reid was high on my list so I think most of us saw that coming. I heard a few rumors about Jimmie Ward even though I didnt like the pick. I have so many guys on my radar I would be surprised this year if we got someone I havent already known about. The only way I will be made is if we draft someone on the O-line in the 1st round.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Crimson on this. We don't need to jumping up to get a WR. I'm not a huge fan of the Torrey Smith signing, but He's a legit starter opposite Boldin. Plus this is a very deep draft at WR. We have bigger needs then WR. CB, DL, ILB, and OG are all much bigger needs IMO.