• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Am I the only one who doesn't care if the footballs were deflated?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you - in principle.
But - how many times does a second baseman actually step on second during a double play?
The rule is he has to touch second base but they ignore this on the field.....

Or in NBA, how many steps for a layup in NBA. I remember a show with Bob Knight explaining how that is his biggest pet peeve in NBA. He went on to show 5 or 6 clips of players getting away with up to 8 steps (most were 1 or 2 more than the limit).

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or in NBA, how many steps for a layup in NBA. I remember a show with Bob Knight explaining how that is his biggest pet peeve in NBA. He went on to show 5 or 6 clips of players getting away with up to 8 steps (most were 1 or 2 more than the limit).

But the NFL is "by the book" across the board!!!!
Just ask Goodell......

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you - in principle.
But - how many times does a second baseman actually step on second during a double play?
The rule is he has to touch second base but they ignore this on the field.....

This is apples and oranges. The neighborhood play is allowed out of player safety and unfortunately it's at odds with instant replay. Every baseball fan knows the neighborhood play "rule" and it's now part of the game. Deflating balls so much falls under scuffing a baseball or corking a bat. And the ump is there to choose whether or not the runner is out.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to live my life with character. So, I don't really live by the motto, "If the ref doesn't see it, it's not illegal."

But I also know there is some truth to it as well. If a football was barely under the air pressure regulation and the game outcome was 45-7, then I would think the dozens of holding calls that didn't get flagged should be as much of an issue. Those are, apparently, more obvious than the deflated footballs and are also illegal.

If it is proven that BB or Brady had knowledge or whatever, I think their character will be very affected negatively by this.

Last edited by a moderator:

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the NFL is "by the book" across the board!!!!
Just ask Goodell......

Why don't we talk about football vs. football instead of the crap that goes on in the NBA. They got caught with their hands in the cookie jar again. There's a culture of bending the rules there. They aren't getting singled out. Accept it and move on.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not the only one. I don't really give a fuck and think its absolutely fucking ridiculous that this is the lead story on news shows. Not sports news shows, ACTUAL news shows. I'm like Peter Griffin, "OMG who the hell cares!" You'd think they were point shaving from all the bullshit you see from people's reactions.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't we talk about football vs. football instead of the crap that goes on in the NBA. They got caught with their hands in the cookie jar again. There's a culture of bending the rules there. They aren't getting singled out. Accept it and move on.

They didn't get caught with their hands in the cookie jar. They noticed cookies gone and saw them as usual suspects. An investigation on whether it is their hands is still going on.

There's a difference.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't get caught with their hands in the cookie jar. They noticed cookies gone and saw them as usual suspects. An investigation on whether it is their hands is still going on.

There's a difference.

There's no scientific explanation for the balls losing so much pressure from when they were tested vs. game time. Somebody took air out of the ball and the Pats had control of the balls. I'm sick of hearing about this RIGHT NOW but this needs to be addressed after the game because 85% of the low end of allowable is ridiculous.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to live my life with character. So, I don't really live by the motto, "If the ref doesn't see it, it's not illegal."

But I also know there is some truth to it as well. If a football was barely under the air pressure regulation and the game outcome was 45-7, then I would think the dozens of holding calls that didn't get flagged should be as much of an issue. Those are, apparently, more obvious than the deflated footballs and are also illegal.

If it is proven that BB or Brady had knowledge or whatever, I think their character will be very affected negatively by this.

Anyone who knows me would attest to my character.
Back in the day, I was a professional athlete. I used any method I could to gain an advantage.
You could leave a bag with all your money in it and I would chase you down to give it to you but -
I would do anything in an event to beat my best friend (and I did)
Double standard? Yes, absolutely. I would gladly not cheat ever if everybody else wasn't doing it
but - I don't like 10th place.....

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont really give a shit either, but i can understand why its become a bigger deal. Seems like there is always something going on with the Pats. Like they cant just play by the same rules as everyone else. Probably wouldnt be a big deal if there wasnt so much history of tweeking the rule/cheating. If the Pats win the SB, it will be talked about forever. If they lose, no one will remember.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care.

And I blame the refs for allowing it and not doing their jobs. They are supposedly inspected before play, so if there is a problem they should have caught it.

I'm guessing in the future it will be monitored better.

Of course, if the NE offense stinks it up in the SB it'll never end.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would be perfect and end everything. The cheaters would be fully exposed.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zero proof that the Pats broke the rules here. There's more proof that the NFL doesn't follow their own rules (picking up flags) than anything.

Right. Even the difference between room temperature and actual game time temperature is 1 PSI. Each time the ball is measured is .5 PSI or whatever of reduction (from letting the air out). The worst rumors I've heard was of 2 PSI, with details and confidence levels being obscure.

This is a whole lot of, as it were, hot air.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no scientific explanation for the balls losing so much pressure from when they were tested vs. game time.

That is false.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont really give a shit either, but i can understand why its become a bigger deal. Seems like there is always something going on with the Pats. Like they cant just play by the same rules as everyone else. Probably wouldnt be a big deal if there wasnt so much history of tweeking the rule/cheating. If the Pats win the SB, it will be talked about forever. If they lose, no one will remember.

I agree. That's why, for the good of the game, the Seahawks need to win this game.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care.

And I blame the refs for allowing it and not doing their jobs. They are supposedly inspected before play, so if there is a problem they should have caught it.

I'm guessing in the future it will be monitored better.

They were and the NFL confirms the Refs checked them to be between 12.5 and 13.5 before the game.