• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"All In" a quick sell out

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I obviously don’t know the back story of the son but a wrestling fan who has blank check like never been seen before in the business can’t really hurt it. The only thing that would concern me is the tv contract but eventually someone in the world of any sport with hook up with Netflix or Amazon or any of the other steaming devices. Putting a show on at 11 pm or have it steaming where you can watch it at anytime convenient? Won’t he as much money as WWE gets but a newbie with cash to burn has the ability to choose exposure over money on a start up which is business 101.

A couple of reasons why I think a TV deal is better than streaming...

One is the obvious reason that it makes more financial sense. The WWE is getting a ton of money for live TV. If you get a major network to buy in on the idea of a longterm profitable number 2 company then a decent TV contract can help offset some of the initial losses.

The second reason is that it's difficult to build a new audience without the benefit of cable TV's exposure. If it's on a streaming platform the re-established New Japan/ROH/Being the Elite fans will tune in but it'd be almost impossible to grow outside of that niche. You can get the attention of the casual wrestling fan if they see it on a major cable channel.

I'm rooting hard for the idea of a legitimate number 2 company so I'm glass half full on all these rumors.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of reasons why I think a TV deal is better than streaming...

One is the obvious reason that it makes more financial sense. The WWE is getting a ton of money for live TV. If you get a major network to buy in on the idea of a longterm profitable number 2 company then a decent TV contract can help offset some of the initial losses.

The second reason is that it's difficult to build a new audience without the benefit of cable TV's exposure. If it's on a streaming platform the re-established New Japan/ROH/Being the Elite fans will tune in but it'd be almost impossible to grow outside of that niche. You can get the attention of the casual wrestling fan if they see it on a major cable channel.

I'm rooting hard for the idea of a legitimate number 2 company so I'm glass half full on all these rumors.

See your theory on streaming is the opposite of mine and why I hate my Pac12 network and why they haven’t tapped into it. Is cable tv the conventional way, of course but steaming is coming regardless. Streaming has its obvious flaws, but IMO they would gain more casual fans by pure boredom and lack of options on Netflix once you binge watch them which leads to people going to live shows just like podcasts have done for their house shows.

Cable has its instant positives with instant cash but the tv bubble is going to crash soon with so many younger fans (who a good portion were WWE fans as teenagers) are cutting the cable cord. Getting a casual bored fan to watch the product and deciding to give the WWE network a shot > the cash up front they get from a network that has an abundance of extra cash from their selling to Disney. Just my thoughts is someone is going to eventually make a boatload from partnering with Netflix, Amazon or any big streaming platform so why not a niche audience kind of like how Netflix and Amazon are already set up.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See your theory on streaming is the opposite of mine and why I hate my Pac12 network and why they haven’t tapped into it. Is cable tv the conventional way, of course but steaming is coming regardless. Streaming has its obvious flaws, but IMO they would gain more casual fans by pure boredom and lack of options on Netflix once you binge watch them which leads to people going to live shows just like podcasts have done for their house shows.

Cable has its instant positives with instant cash but the tv bubble is going to crash soon with so many younger fans (who a good portion were WWE fans as teenagers) are cutting the cable cord. Getting a casual bored fan to watch the product and deciding to give the WWE network a shot > the cash up front they get from a network that has an abundance of extra cash from their selling to Disney. Just my thoughts is someone is going to eventually make a boatload from partnering with Netflix, Amazon or any big streaming platform so why not a niche audience kind of like how Netflix and Amazon are already set up.
I think if they go streaming, they should try to go to Youtube Red. Cobra Kai proved that a series can be successful on there (although a lot of that might've been due to the nostalgia factor). Maybe that way, they could do more with Being the Elite and then Jericho or someone else can host a Youtube Red specific postgame show.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

This might all be true as I don't know too much about chord cutting trends.

I have a hard time imagining myself without TV in my home at any time in the foreseeable future but I don't know how much of thats rooted in socioeconomics, or age demographics or just personal preference.

I would say if a show like Breaking Bad or the Wire etc wanted to do a series reboot streaming might be the way to go as those appeal to a young, hip, well educated audience. I associate wrestling with a more working class demographic that's still loyal to TV for a few more years at the very least so there's still money to be made there imo.

I could be completely off on this. I also haven't had a home phone as an adult after converting to wireless service 15 years ago so there could be a new generation that has no use for TV.

If this company does start up and goes streaming I'll still check it out