• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alfred Morris

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another topic for the off season, but I am really hoping the Broncos sign Alfred Morris when free agency begins. Morris had two great seasons under Shanahan, but his production has dropped off under Gruden. He's not a good fit in the Redskins current offense and it's clear the team intends to let him walk. Morris is an obvious fit in Kubiak's offense and an obvious upgrade to Hillman. He's faster than Anderson, and pretty physical albeit not quite as punishing a runner as CJ.

His reduced role the last two years means there's a lot of tread on the tires and potentially a favorable contract. He is also highly respected off the field as being an all around quality individual. I'm sure Elway will at least give him a look, and hopefully sign the guy to a 3 year deal.

Thoughts?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another topic for the off season, but I am really hoping the Broncos sign Alfred Morris when free agency begins. Morris had two great seasons under Shanahan, but his production has dropped off under Gruden. He's not a good fit in the Redskins current offense and it's clear the team intends to let him walk. Morris is an obvious fit in Kubiak's offense and an obvious upgrade to Hillman. He's faster than Anderson, and pretty physical albeit not quite as punishing a runner as CJ.

His reduced role the last two years means there's a lot of tread on the tires and potentially a favorable contract. He is also highly respected off the field as being an all around quality individual. I'm sure Elway will at least give him a look, and hopefully sign the guy to a 3 year deal.

Thoughts?
The Broncos are okay at RB. Signing Morris would not upgrade the running game.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be oppose to Morris. He fits the scheme. I am personally looking for something a bit better. I know people don't want to spend another high pick on a RB, but I think I am getting to that point... At least in rounds 2-4... Really depends on how much Morris cost. Not real exciting to me, but if we don't do anything else at RB I would be good with bringing Morrris into the fold.

Don't see how one can think we are "ok" at RB though.

Right now other then CJ Anderson I would be fine at upgrading this position. Anderson is solid/banged up a lot so need to get him fresh.

I am thinking we look more into bringing in a cheaper vet and draft a guy in the first 4 rounds to go along with Anderson, but that is just me.

I haven't forgotten about Juwan Thompson, but I don't see him as a guy who will get a lot of carries here.

He again was banged up this year but when our run game was struggling we never really were confident in giving him more then a few carries here and there.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Morris is definitely someone the Broncos should consider bringing in.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are looking at a FA back, I like Lamar Miller ..

He's just 24, and was completely underused in Miami

The guy can catch, runs hard and reminds me a little of TD

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been overally impressed by Lamar Miller.. But I think he is going to get a decent contract... Something I don't think we are looking to fork over for a RB this off-season given our needs. We just won't have a lot of extra cash to sign other players to long term deals.

Miller shows flashes, but very inconsistent. He will have a 15 yard game and then a 120 yard game. I am going to guess he re-signs with a decent deal in Miami. Given he went to college there and don't have much behind him. I think Miami also needs to draft another RB as they need someone that can come in and be a change of pace for Miller. They really struggled running the ball at times this year.

I also think Lamar Miller could be a much better RB on a different team though.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos are okay at RB. Signing Morris would not upgrade the running game.

How so? After this season CJ Anderson is a RFA, Hillman is a FA, and all the others we have barely saw any game action? My guess is we sign Anderson to a RFA contract. While he has shown he can be a great RB in this league he has also shown he can't handle a full season worth of carries. So he has to be a part of a 2-back system to really make it through the season. So right now Broncos don't have a #2 going into next season.

That is why I actually agree with this one. If we are going to sign a RB to a longer than 1-year contract this is the signing that makes sense to me. He has shown he can thrive in this system before and hasn't had a ton of tread lately so his contract demands won't be that high. He gives us a guy that can split carries with Anderson but at the same time can step in and be the bell cow if we need one.

Then I do think we have to draft a RB at some point. Anymore in this league you need 3 RB's that you can trust. Hardly any RB's make it through the entire season anymore without missing at least a few games.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really depends on what we have left over during FA if we sign a guy like Morris. He won't be a guy we grab right away with our focus being on what we do with our own... If the market is low when things quiet down then it is possible we bring someone like Morris in... Or Miller if we have the money... But we will have focus on other areas first which includes our own.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really depends on what we have left over during FA if we sign a guy like Morris. He won't be a guy we grab right away with our focus being on what we do with our own... If the market is low when things quiet down then it is possible we bring someone like Morris in... Or Miller if we have the money... But we will have focus on other areas first which includes our own.

Oh I agree. RB's though are that one position that very few ever get signed early on in the process of FA so the Broncos definitely have time to see what they will have left. My guess is one of either Morris or Miller is still there about a week and a half into FA if we so choose. Morris probably more likely than Miller. Which is fine by me as Morris would be my choice of the two honestly. Good system fit, cheaper option, less wear and tear over the last 2 years.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it really depends on the price. I agree that he fits the system and Kubes will look at him, but I think there will be a bit of a demand for him. If he doesn't re-sign with Washington, I could see someone like Tennessee or maybe the New York football Giants bringing him in, depending on who gets their respective HC jobs. I don't see him being a huge priority for teams, but maybe as a plan B to someone who misses out on Lamar Miller.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we just Draft a RB .. I hope this staff would give Thompson a full game worth of carries to see if he can take over a game ? I think he can beat up a D .

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we just Draft a RB .. I hope this staff would give Thompson a full game worth of carries to see if he can take over a game ? I think he can beat up a D .

I think Thompson can definitely do well. He again though is a very injury prone player. The past 2 years in his limited carries he has gotten himself hurt. So right now we have Anderson, Hillman, and Thompson who all have shown that even in limited carries they struggle with staying healthy. Can't trust any of them.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos can get RBs off the rack almost anywhere - it's not likely they will draft high for one, but the exception makes the rule - if the right guy is out there - why not. I just can't tell the right guys from the other ones - myself.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elliot is a game changer

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thank you on Morris or Martin. Two guys that hadn`t really played well previous yrs and then...Blam! Contract yr. Don`t trust those types.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafting rbs is tough call. I say wait till 4th or later and do your due diligence as well. The backs they have are more than capable behind a good O-line. No need to shake a tance early in draft. Got other immediate needs. Calipari from Iowa in the 5th or 6th would suit me fine. Like him and remindsme of that dude from Pittsburgh some...L. Bell:yes:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thank you on Morris or Martin. Two guys that hadn`t really played well previous yrs and then...Blam! Contract yr. Don`t trust those types.

This is not an accurate description of Morris. His production and role in the Redskins offense has steadily declined from his 2012 rookie year. Under the system Shanahan ran, which is what the Broncos are running now, Morris gained 1,613 yards on 335 carries and 13 TDs. If you recall, that was the year RGIII lit up the league, so it would be easy to dismiss this production as benefitting from the QB. But in 2013 when RGIII couldn't do much of anything right, Morris gained 1,275 yards on 276 carries, and 7 TDs. In 2014 Jay Gruden came in and Morris' role declined in the new system. He has still had pretty solid production. That year he carried it 265 times for 1,074 yards and 8 TDs. This year his carries dropped to 202 for 751 yards and a single TD.

I think the decline in production has everything to do with the system. Morris is respected by his teammates and the locals alike. The fans here don't want to see him go. But it's pretty clear he's not going to be a big part of Gruden's offense moving forward. The reduced role in the offense means less wear and tear. It potentially means the Broncos can sign him to a team-friendly contract. There is a lot to do this off season, but this seems like a no-brainer signing that will be an upgrade to what we currently have on hand.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not an accurate description of Morris. His production and role in the Redskins offense has steadily declined from his 2012 rookie year. Under the system Shanahan ran, which is what the Broncos are running now, Morris gained 1,613 yards on 335 carries and 13 TDs. If you recall, that was the year RGIII lit up the league, so it would be easy to dismiss this production as benefitting from the QB. But in 2013 when RGIII couldn't do much of anything right, Morris gained 1,275 yards on 276 carries, and 7 TDs. In 2014 Jay Gruden came in and Morris' role declined in the new system. He has still had pretty solid production. That year he carried it 265 times for 1,074 yards and 8 TDs. This year his carries dropped to 202 for 751 yards and a single TD.

I think the decline in production has everything to do with the system. Morris is respected by his teammates and the locals alike. The fans here don't want to see him go. But it's pretty clear he's not going to be a big part of Gruden's offense moving forward. The reduced role in the offense means less wear and tear. It potentially means the Broncos can sign him to a team-friendly contract. There is a lot to do this off season, but this seems like a no-brainer signing that will be an upgrade to what we currently have on hand.
Well Hilman only had 200 attempts and besides the 860 something yds, he had 7 td s. I think the no brainer would be keep Hilman then. Course I'm not a rocket scientist so what do I know. :)

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Hilman only had 200 attempts and besides the 860 something yds, he had 7 td s. I think the no brainer would be keep Hilman then. Course I'm not a rocket scientist so what do I know. :)

Here is why Morris is still an upgrade: Hillman's best games have come when he is used in tandem with CJ. Our running game has been awful without CJ. With Morris and CJ splitting carries instead of Hillman we have two backs that can absolutely take over a game. Hillman just doesn't have that ability. If he gets touched he's going down. Morris and CJ can both truck guys.