• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith's Accuracy

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
21 for 30 yesterday which is good but when you consider the three straight drops by Miller, Manningham and Walker on the field goal drive and drops earlier by Crabtree, Gore and yet another by Walker on balls right in their hands, Smith could have been 27 for 30. I can't think of a bad pass he threw all day. Pretty good for a gu who no one wanted last year.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To add another drop if i may, he actually hit Vernon Davis deep(thrown pretty darn good IMO) that could've put 7 or at least FG but Davis didn't hold on.... gammit!

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very impressed with Smith last night. Had great zip on his passes (really only had a couple bad passes all night) and made good decisions on his reads. His pre-snap reads in the run game and adjusting to defensive alignment have also been quite good so far this year.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alex's accuracy (despite the haters contentions otherwise) has always been one of his strong suits. No surprise then that it is continuing. And could our receivers just catch the damn thing????

One thing that would be nice would be to see some long balls attempted to Moss or Mario. Really like what I see out of Mario after he catches the ball, looks quick, smooth, and elusive. Also good to see Crabs make all those 3rd down catches, altho he dropped one of those too.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex's accuracy (despite the haters contentions otherwise) has always been one of his strong suits. No surprise then that it is continuing. And could our receivers just catch the damn thing????

One thing that would be nice would be to see some long balls attempted to Moss or Mario. Really like what I see out of Mario after he catches the ball, looks quick, smooth, and elusive. Also good to see Crabs make all those 3rd down catches, altho he dropped one of those too.

I'm not a smith hater, but I can't agree that it was a strong suits. Through out his career he had plenty of games where he struggled and over threw targets. There was plenty of passes where our receivers made smith look better. He wasn't Tebow bad by any means, but calling it a strong suit is an exaggeration.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
21 for 30 yesterday which is good but when you consider the three straight drops by Miller, Manningham and Walker on the field goal drive and drops earlier by Crabtree, Gore and yet another by Walker on balls right in their hands, Smith could have been 27 for 30. I can't think of a bad pass he threw all day. Pretty good for a gu who no one wanted last year.

Well said!

Among QB's whom have played 2 games here is where Alex ranks:

The Good:

#1 for QB Rating..........115.9
#1(t7) for INT's.................0
#2(t7) for TD's..................4
#5 for Completion %.......70.2
#12 for Yds/A................7.67
#23 for Attempts..............57
#24 for YPG...................219

The "I Wish This Were Better But, We Are Still 2-0":

#1 in Sack %................10.9

On a couple side notes:

The drop by Manningham was on a route very similar, if not the same route that Davis ran vs. NO.

Also, what a difference one completion can make in a two-game statisical analysis. Had Vernon made the catch on the deep sideline, Alex's stats and ranking would have been as follows:

#1 for QB Rating..........120.7
#3 for Completion %.......71.9
#5 for Yds/A.................8.46
#21 for YPG...................241

Moral of the story - Receivers, catch the damn ball.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Me too. That's one of the deficiencies that I was referring to early in which Harbaugh and Roman has done a remarkable job in masking through their play selections / scheme.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

One of the incompletions was due to the bad snap and Smith had to scramble and throw the ball away or lose a lot of yardage on a sack

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the incompletions was due to the bad snap and Smith had to scramble and throw the ball away or lose a lot of yardage on a sack

Ahh, great call Four - I had forgot about that one. The way Smith picks up the football on a bounce I swear he could play basketball with it

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh, great call Four - I had forgot about that one. The way Smith picks up the football on a bounce I swear he could play basketball with it

I originally thought shortstop, but the ball does bounce higher than grounders. Maybe he really is Steve Blake. Come to think of it have any of you seen Steve Blake and Alex Smith in the same room together? Other than those times where both are playing their respective sports at the same time, they could be the same people. ;)

Actually, Blake is an ugly(er) version of Smith.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

alex smith = steve blake, u didn't know?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't mean to rain on the parade but uh, you know his past accuracy issues were one of the main reasons he sought out "the guru" this off-season to fix his mechanics.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't mean to rain on the parade but uh, you know his past accuracy issues were one of the main reasons he sought out "the guru" this off-season to fix his mechanics.

Shut yo' mouth. ;)

There's room for both arguments. Though I won't claim it, he could have had an accuracy strength before the shoulder injury, as the guru said it was perfect before (code for sufficiently correct, not actually perfect), but he certainly wasn't fully accurate (as in fundamentally sound) afterwards - though I didn't see that as inaccurate either. (Yes, I know accuracy and mechanics are two separate things. One affects the other.) Even before the injury, I wouldn't have categorized his accuracy either way. I didn't think it was a problem nor a strength besides being one of those factors to be chosen first overall. But then again, I'm not a technical football fan.

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To add another drop if i may, he actually hit Vernon Davis deep(thrown pretty darn good IMO) that could've put 7 or at least FG but Davis didn't hold on.... gammit!

I missed that one. Good thing probably, I'd have been really pissed.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex's accuracy (despite the haters contentions otherwise) has always been one of his strong suits. No surprise then that it is continuing. And could our receivers just catch the damn thing????One thing that would be nice would be to see some long balls attempted to Moss or Mario. Really like what I see out of Mario after he catches the ball, looks quick, smooth, and elusive. Also good to see Crabs make all those 3rd down catches, altho he dropped one of those too.

Ditto.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said!

Among QB's whom have played 2 games here is where Alex ranks:

The Good:

#1 for QB Rating..........115.9
#5 for Completion %.......70.2
#12 for Yds/A................7.67
#24 for YPG...................219

The "I Wish This Were Better But, We Are Still 2-0":

#1 in Sack %................10.9

On a couple side notes:

The drop by Manningham was on a route very similar, if not the same route that Davis ran vs. NO.

Also, what a difference one completion can make in a two-game statisical analysis. Had Vernon made the catch on the deep sideline, Alex's stats and ranking would have been as follows:

#1 for QB Rating..........120.7
#3 for Completion %.......71.9
#5 for Yds/A.................8.46
#21 for YPG...................241

Moral of the story - Receivers, catch the damn ball.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha! That's what I'm talking about. I keep yelling the same thing at them from my living room every Sunday but they just don't get it.