• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith calls out Cam Newton

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He didn't call out Cam Newton. He just said his stats were inflated because his team was always behind. Nothing about him as a person, player, anything.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with him saying he does not care about stats and that it is all about wins but why call out Cam Newton! :doh:

Alex Smith Knocks Cam Newton | CraveOnline

That is a terrible article. The writer might as well name himself Don King. Alex probably shouldn't have said what he said, but this writer looks like he's trying to make a name for himself by coming to fallacious conclusions.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who here would take Alex over Cam? Yhea, thought so.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The stupidity shown yet again by another athlete.....sheesh!

Jon Beason:

Alex smith, don't hate on Cam Bc your stats would've gotten u cut if Peyton decided to come 2 San Fran.Truth b told..That's after a 13-3 yr.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Where were Alex's yards when the 49ers weren't winning?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm, it seems pretty clear that Smith just used Newton's 300 yard games which came with 3 losses to prove his point. While ignoring that Brady went 9-2 in his 300 yard games this last year, Brees went 11-2 in his 300 yard games and Rodgers won 8 games with 300 yards and 2 wins with 297 and 299 yards...

Smith was just being a dummy and trying to argue his point that yards don't matter while using one very specific example... who just happened to be Cam. For such a smart guy, that was one of the dumbest ways to argue his point.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here's the thing: Alex is completely right. Newton was 0-3 when he threw for 300+, and was 0-6 when throwing for 260+. Hell, Newton was 1-9 when throwing for more than 210, and 3-9 when throwing for more than 200. They did well controlling the ball, not airing it out.

That's not a knock on Newton in my opinion. He had a great rookie season. But airing it out doesn't work that well unless you have a very good passer, and as promising as Newton was in year one, he wasn't one of the top guys. That said, by mentioning someone by name, Smith should know that this would lead to something of a brouhaha.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm, it seems pretty clear that Smith just used Newton's 300 yard games which came with 3 losses to prove his point. While ignoring that Brady went 9-2 in his 300 yard games this last year, Brees went 11-2 in his 300 yard games and Rodgers won 8 games with 300 yards and 2 wins with 297 and 299 yards...

Smith was just being a dummy and trying to argue his point that yards don't matter while using one very specific example... who just happened to be Cam. For such a smart guy, that was one of the dumbest ways to argue his point.

I tend to agree more with this sentiment. If Alex was trying to stir up shit then his comment was brilliant - if not, then it wasn't his most intelligent moment.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I tend to agree more with this sentiment. If Alex was trying to stir up shit then his comment was brilliant - if not, then it wasn't his most intelligent moment.

Either that or Alex is just one of those guys who just says what's on his mind and doesn't care what people in the media say about it. TO, Randy Moss, Allen Iverson were like that.

I don't have a problem with a little objective scrutiny of a player's performance.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either that or Alex is just one of those guys who just says what's on his mind and doesn't care what people in the media say about it. TO, Randy Moss, Allen Iverson were like that.

I don't have a problem with a little objective scrutiny of a player's performance.

Yeah, because Alex has always been to the one to say whatever is on his mind, right?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing: Alex is completely right. Newton was 0-3 when he threw for 300+, and was 0-6 when throwing for 260+. Hell, Newton was 1-9 when throwing for more than 210, and 3-9 when throwing for more than 200. They did well controlling the ball, not airing it out.

That's not a knock on Newton in my opinion. He had a great rookie season. But airing it out doesn't work that well unless you have a very good passer, and as promising as Newton was in year one, he wasn't one of the top guys. That said, by mentioning someone by name, Smith should know that this would lead to something of a brouhaha.

This is a great point, and a very concise way of saying what I did when I listed the Win-Loss of Brady, Brees and Rodgers when they threw for 300 yards.

I don't think Smith was attacking Newton... because Smith knows he is considered a bust... so he isn't going to go around throwing stones while living in a glass house.

Smith was just trying to argue that winning is more important than throwing for 300 yards, and in my opinion... he chose a horrible way to express his opinion by actually singling out a player. He should have just stuck with what he said before the Saints playoff game. About how he didn't care if Brees threw for 300 yards and he didn't, just so long as the 49ers won. At least with that he wasn't giving the media something to fill in the dead-air of the offseason.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is a great point, and a very concise way of saying what I did when I listed the Win-Loss of Brady, Brees and Rodgers when they threw for 300 yards.

I don't think Smith was attacking Newton... because Smith knows he is considered a bust... so he isn't going to go around throwing stones while living in a glass house.

Smith was just trying to argue that winning is more important than throwing for 300 yards, and in my opinion... he chose a horrible way to express his opinion by actually singling out a player. He should have just stuck with what he said before the Saints playoff game. About how he didn't care if Brees threw for 300 yards and he didn't, just so long as the 49ers won. At least with that he wasn't giving the media something to fill in the dead-air of the offseason.

agree, the only thing that made it bad was dropping an actual name. had he not named anyone, it would be fine.

he did drop a name and it wasn't good, but its also getting way overblown. this isn't surprising especially now with so little real football news.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He didn't say a thing about Newton. He said playing in Carolina a QB can put up big yardage numbers because he's playing from behind. Newton's name was mentioned because he was that QB.

If he took a shot at anyone in Carolina it was the defense. If the Panthers defense could get stops, than Newton likely doesn't throw for as many yards.

Is Smith right? Not according to Newton's splits (he threw for 91 more yards in the first half than the second and had one more first half attempt).

As for Beason's comment that Smith would be gone if we signed Peyton, well duh. Anyone think Beason would be sticking around in Carolina if they got Willis?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I like this Alex Smith that speak his mind more freely.