• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex in 2013

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a feeling he'll be a Jet next season.

I'm not sure. The Jets typically go for splash signings/trades. I don't see Smith as that type of guy. If the Jets don't trade for him, no way does he go there. He's too smart to jump into that media meat grinder.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing he ends up with the Jaguars, Chiefs, or Browns. I thought the Chargers would be a possible destination, but then I read this:

McCoy promised to be "heavily involved" in game-planning and installation, but "game-day responsibilities" will keep him from calling plays. It's the opposite of Norv Turner's approach the past few seasons. McCoy cited the presence of Philip Rivers as a primary factor in accepting the job. The respect is mutual. "Of the potential candidates, I can honestly say this is the guy I was hoping for," Rivers told XEPRS-AM on Tuesday.

hmmm maybe the Vikings too.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith has a 1M roster bonus due in March. If he is on the roster on April 1, the remaining 7.5M becomes guaranteed.

7.5M for a guy who has put up the numbers that Smith has over the last two years is not too much. They can deal that and still get a decent return. Sure he is not a "Super Bowl QB" but the teams we have talked about for him are not Super Bowl teams, so it will work out just fine.

It's not JUST the money. The trading team would also have to give us something in return for the trade.

Though I never thought we'd get what we got for Lloyd, and Baalke is leaps and bounds better than McCloughan was, so...

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing he ends up with the Jaguars, Chiefs, or Browns. I thought the Chargers would be a possible destination, but then I read this:

McCoy promised to be "heavily involved" in game-planning and installation, but "game-day responsibilities" will keep him from calling plays. It's the opposite of Norv Turner's approach the past few seasons. McCoy cited the presence of Philip Rivers as a primary factor in accepting the job. The respect is mutual. "Of the potential candidates, I can honestly say this is the guy I was hoping for," Rivers told XEPRS-AM on Tuesday.

hmmm maybe the Vikings too.

I don't see it. Why trade for what they already have. If Smith starts, Ponder's salary is the backup. If Ponder starts, your backup is making $9M. I don't see a difference in production between the two, personally, and Ponder hasn't reached his ceiling.

yanksjets24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure. The Jets typically go for splash signings/trades. I don't see Smith as that type of guy. If the Jets don't trade for him, no way does he go there. He's too smart to jump into that media meat grinder.
Won't happen with the splash signings. Salary cap hell this year.

yanksjets24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, I have no idea what the Jets' cap status is, so you could be right. If that's the case, can you afford $9M for your QB next year?
The QB is one of the reasons they're stuck in cap hell. Landry, Moore and Keller all key FA's. Cutting Scott, Pace and both Smith's are tied to those three just about. Not much room after.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it. Why trade for what they already have. If Smith starts, Ponder's salary is the backup. If Ponder starts, your backup is making $9M. I don't see a difference in production between the two, personally, and Ponder hasn't reached his ceiling.

Trade? Nah. As a Free agent? Possibly. The Vikings do need a back up QB, that is for sure. Though as a FA, Smith probably go to a team where he could compete for the starting QB position and it appears as though the Vikings is not one of those teams.

Coach Leslie Frazier confirmed Tuesday that Christian Ponder has a stranglehold on the Vikings' quarterback job for 2013.

Christian Ponder - Minnesota Vikings - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade? Nah. As a Free agent? Possibly. The Vikings do need a back up QB, that is for sure. Though as a FA, Smith probably go to a team where he could compete for the starting QB position and it appears as though the Vikings is not one of those teams.

Coach Leslie Frazier confirmed Tuesday that Christian Ponder has a stranglehold on the Vikings' quarterback job for 2013.

Christian Ponder - Minnesota Vikings - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

We're on the same page. Didn't interpret your previous post this way. My bad. Been drinking.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Alex getting a chance to compete in Jacksonville or Kansas City.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the Niners keeping Smith on the roster before the roster bonus kicks in March. It's a waste of a million bucks that could be spent on Goldson instead of dead money to a player they know they won't keep.

If Roman goes to Jax then I don't see why Alex would go there. First thing Roman would do is look for his franchise QB.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, though, I don't see Reid as a candidate to pull for Smith. I could be wrong, but I'd bet a ten-year-old moldy ham sandwich that I'm right.

yanksjets24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, though, I don't see Reid as a candidate to pull for Smith. I could be wrong, but I'd bet a ten-year-old moldy ham sandwich that I'm right.
He'll pull for Smith. Geno Smith!

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is Smith half as valuable as Manning? My answer would be no. Not close.

Last weekend Manning looked great as long as any Raven did not touch him.

But as soon as the Ravens got to him, Manning really has ZERO escapability, it's so bad it's a liability, and he just eats the sack and he is prone to turn it over.

I don't think Manning wins a Superbowl in Denver.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last weekend Manning looked great as long as any Raven did not touch him.

But as soon as the Ravens got to him, Manning really has ZERO escapability, it's so bad it's a liability, and he just eats the sack and he is prone to turn it over.

I don't think Manning wins a Superbowl in Denver.

Manning didn't lose that game. Bailey, Fox and the rest of the defense lost that game. I agree Manning won't win a SB in Denver. As long as Fox is the HC. Which may not be the case come October next year.