• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aldon Smith Suspended 1 year

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard he won't appeal because he bargained for this punishment. In return the NFL won't also go after him for personal conduct detrimental to the league.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he's only like 26 or 27 isn't he? Sit out a year, get help, mature a bit, and still has time for a one year make good contract and then a 3-4 year deal to set himself and family for life.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he's only like 26 or 27 isn't he? Sit out a year, get help, mature a bit, and still has time for a one year make good contract and then a 3-4 year deal to set himself and family for life.

He is 26 right now. Most likely wouldn't get a decent contract until maybe 29 years old. He will be 27 by the time the suspension is up and will only have maybe 6-7 games to prove his skills. My guess is he wouldn't just come in and light the league on fire needing to get into game shape and learn the system he is in. So his 28th year will be where he has to make his mark to get that decent contract and it would probably be a 3-year type deal with a lot of escalators.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is 26 right now. Most likely wouldn't get a decent contract until maybe 29 years old. He will be 27 by the time the suspension is up and will only have maybe 6-7 games to prove his skills. My guess is he wouldn't just come in and light the league on fire needing to get into game shape and learn the system he is in. So his 28th year will be where he has to make his mark to get that decent contract and it would probably be a 3-year type deal with a lot of escalators.

If he's in good shape, this time next year...I think he will get a fairly decent contract right away...incentive laden, but good money. Teams already know what he can do...so there's not much need for a prove it too me contract.

The fact that he played the games he did @ OAK w/o incident makes it fairly easy for them to cut him a deal imo.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's in good shape, this time next year...I think he will get a fairly decent contract right away...incentive laden, but good money. Teams already know what he can do...so there's not much need for a prove it too me contract.

The fact that he played the games he did @ OAK w/o incident makes it fairly easy for them to cut him a deal imo.

Maybe. I guess I see it as teams will be very hesitant even if he stays clean this year to then go hand him big money. You are right that it would be an incentive laden contract if they did. I'm also skeptical that he could step in after sitting out a year and produce right away. There is just something about game play that makes a huge difference in a player's ability to step in and play.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. I guess I see it as teams will be very hesitant even if he stays clean this year to then go hand him big money. You are right that it would be an incentive laden contract if they did. I'm also skeptical that he could step in after sitting out a year and produce right away. There is just something about game play that makes a huge difference in a player's ability to step in and play.

I think the league is just so short of difference makers on the edge...teams will take a chance...no team is going to hand him a $40 mil with $25 guaranteed, but if he's in shape, (that's the big caveat) the rest of his skill set is not really something that a year away will diminish that much....I think Vick missed 3 football seasons and came back still running something close to the 4.3 he ran into prison with.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not sure why a team would want to give him big money. He is still a good linebacker and can rush the passer but I haven't seen the double digit sack Aldon in quite some time. He hasn't been that dominant.