• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aldon Smith (Sack Artist)

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looking over his stats he could be leading the league in sacks this season. He is only 4 behind the leader in the NFL and he was a part time player and didnt even really play his first two games. Kind of scary for the rest of the NFL

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 more sack for that record! He should start this sunday against the rams and obliterate that record lol

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll find out next year. I have to imagine he'll be starting next season when the 49ers lose Brooks to Free Agency.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looking over his stats he could be leading the league in sacks this season. He is only 4 behind the leader in the NFL and he was a part time player and didnt even really play his first two games. Kind of scary for the rest of the NFL

If he develops into an every down player he could be a real force.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i want to see an aldon smith highlight reel on youtube

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

no doubt a GREAT season by Aldon Smith, much more than i dared hope for a rookie converting to OLB. granted he still hasn't really converted, but any start beats no start.

anyways, was just wondering about "a part time player"? he plays on all the passing downs, so even if he was an every down player, would he have more sacks?

wouldn't he be more tired as an everydown player? wouldn't this affect his ability to get sacks in 4th quarters?

IF he's the starter next season, i'd think he'll have about the same number of sacks?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

probably 99% of fans had a negative reaction? on this message board, don't recall anyone whooping it up, or jumping for joy at the announcement?

we're certainly glad he can get sacks, thats the main purpose of drafting him. just wondering...........if he never adjusts to a true OLB, and can't defend run nor pass, was he worth #7 overall? again, just wondering.............

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my biggest beef with aldon on draft day was his last year of college, he seemed kinda blah. but he was coming off an injury, something that makes me nervous with a 1st rounder. i think he'll be fine as a full-time olb. it usually takes a year to adjust. he might not be able to cover a tight end, but he should be fine in zone coverage.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
probably 99% of fans had a negative reaction? on this message board, don't recall anyone whooping it up, or jumping for joy at the announcement?

we're certainly glad he can get sacks, thats the main purpose of drafting him. just wondering...........if he never adjusts to a true OLB, and can't defend run nor pass, was he worth #7 overall? again, just wondering.............

Actually, Deep there were a few, myself included, who recognized his talent. I commented on his ability to rush the passer just as effectively from a 3-tech as from a 9-tech.

The one concern I had as well as others was how well he would fit into the 3-4, how quickly he could transition from a 3-point stance to a 2-point and how quickly he could learn the coverage game.

I recall some were talking about the possibility of changing over to a 4-3 just to take advantage of his talent. So, there were more than a few who saw the talent, but were curious how it would work in our scheme. At least that is what I recall.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Actually, Deep there were a few, myself included, who recognized his talent. I commented on his ability to rush the passer just as effectively from a 3-tech as from a 9-tech.

The one concern I had as well as others was how well he would fit into the 3-4, how quickly he could transition from a 3-point stance to a 2-point and how quickly he could learn the coverage game.

I recall some were talking about the possibility of changing over to a 4-3 just to take advantage of his talent. So, there were more than a few who saw the talent, but were curious how it would work in our scheme. At least that is what I recall.

thats fine, but were you jumping for joy at the announcement of "Aldon Smith"? cause this youtube is of that very moment.

afterward, yeah, there were some ok comments and concerns.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
thats fine, but were you jumping for joy at the announcement of "Aldon Smith"? cause this youtube is of that very moment.

My bad, I misunderstood the context - No, at the moment of the pick, I wasn't jumping for joy at all. The best word I could use to describe my reaction would be stoic.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My bad, I misunderstood the context - No, at the moment of the pick, I wasn't jumping for joy at all. The best word I could use to describe my reaction would be stoic.

"stoic", haaa i like it.

beats my reaction which was "no reaction", didn't know who he was? :-)

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
no doubt a GREAT season by Aldon Smith, much more than i dared hope for a rookie converting to OLB. granted he still hasn't really converted, but any start beats no start.

anyways, was just wondering about "a part time player"? he plays on all the passing downs, so even if he was an every down player, would he have more sacks?

wouldn't he be more tired as an everydown player? wouldn't this affect his ability to get sacks in 4th quarters?

IF he's the starter next season, i'd think he'll have about the same number of sacks?

Good assessment, I think you may be right. I like him has a situational player, I rahter have us re-sign Brooks as well

Last edited by a moderator:

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My boy is a Broncos fan

I got a text from my boy when we drafted Aldon Smith and he said who is this weeka** dude that the Niners just drafted, guess he knows now. He's a Broncos fan so of course the comparison will always be made with these two like other players drafted at the same position in the same round.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was cool with drafting him. I knew the known top 6 guys were gonna be gone by our pick and I wasn't a fan of Prince. Knowing the Texans wanted him with their pick showed he wasn't a reach.