• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aldon Smith activated today

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that going to happen?

This is actually a good question. Ive heard it mentioned a couple times as the team by putting him on IR won't have up cut an extra guy when say crabs,wright or MM come back. Unless he will be ready soon then idk.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is actually a good question. Ive heard it mentioned a couple times as the team by putting him on IR won't have up cut an extra guy when say crabs,wright or MM come back. Unless he will be ready soon then idk.

I read somewhere that the Niners have until Week 12 to either activate him or put him on IR

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From a on-field standpoint, I'm very pleased that Aldon will be back. As much as I liked seeing Lemonier get some real PT, and watching Brooks and Bowman each have a very good game (unfortunately singular) rushing the passer, it was pretty clear last week that we need more from the pass rush. Bringing back Aldon is a great start, and I'm hopeful that Tank can give us something there as well.

From an off-field standpoint, I sure hope he got the treatment he needed, cause we have longterm plans for him. That won't work if he hasn't at least started to kick his alcohol program. I hope they have things in place to help him make it through the season, and then ideally get back to a serious program in the offseason.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Stop that shit. He is not a kid! He is a grown man. Don't excuse his behavior by calling him a "kid".

No one is excusing his behavior. Plenty of people of all ages struggle with alcohol addiction, and need the help of others to break out of it. Aldon is lucky that he has the support system and financial backing that he does. As I see it, the "kid" part refers to his future more than his past. If he has seriously addressed this problem now, he can perhaps avoid a lifetime of struggles.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is excusing his behavior. Plenty of people of all ages struggle with alcohol addiction, and need the help of others to break out of it. Aldon is lucky that he has the support system and financial backing that he does. As I see it, the "kid" part refers to his future more than his past. If he has seriously addressed this problem now, he can perhaps avoid a lifetime of struggles.

In my experience its either used as an expression of condescension or an excuse. I'm not sure which bugs me worse.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LOL.. How about a limerick instead...

The wayward hero has returned
Whose pass rush feats the masses yearn.
Leagal issues still haunt him.
The NFL might still suspend him.
Cam Newton now wishes Goodell will throw the book at him...

hehehe...

Limerick rhyme scheme is
A
A
B
B
A

I might - MIGHT - accept "haunt him" and "suspend him" as a horrible rhyme. But you cannot get any sort of credit for "returned" and "yearn" rhyming with "book at him." Your meter, particularly in the first and last lines, is off as well. Let's try this:

The ferocious pass rusher is back
To answer the call for more sacks
But a price must be paid
For mistakes that were made
So the fans may just have to relax

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vThe wayward hero has returned
Whose pass rush feats the masses yearn.
Leagal issues still haunt him.
The NFL might still suspend him.
Cam Newton now wishes Goodell will throw the book at him...
Limerick rhyme scheme is
A
A
B
B
A

I might - MIGHT - accept "haunt him" and "suspend him" as a horrible rhyme. But you cannot get any sort of credit for "returned" and "yearn" rhyming with "book at him." Your meter, particularly in the first and last lines, is off as well. Let's try this:

The ferocious pass rusher is back
To answer the call for more sacks
But a price must be paid
For mistakes that were made
So the fans may just have to relax

Or, the last three lines could be...

Though legal issues still haunt him
the 49ers desperately want him
But from Goodell he still has a lesson to learn.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone watching the Bengals @ Dolphins game? They brought up an interesting point at halftime that the 49ers are required to activate him once he leaves rehab. Then the dude said that the 49ers told Aldon Smith he will have to earn his starting job again.

That last part is kind of a whatever moment, he won't have any trouble winning the job back.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over Dan Skuta? Quite an intimidating mountain to climb.

That is why I said it was a whatever moment. I just found it funny that the dude on NFL Network even said that... as if it might not be possible for him to win his job back. I think it was Rappaport? What a clown.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Do we really know the extent of his problem? I haven't read anything other than the incidents he was involved in. Is/was he an alcy or a young man who made a couple of mistakes? Just because you drive drunk one time does not make one an alcy. Not excusing or whitewashing anything at all, just wondering. Was it an addiction issue or a judgement issue?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Do we really know the extent of his problem? I haven't read anything other than the incidents he was involved in. Is/was he an alcy or a young man who made a couple of mistakes? Just because you drive drunk one time does not make one an alcy. Not excusing or whitewashing anything at all, just wondering. Was it an addiction issue or a judgement issue?

The team suggested he had a problem. It's his second DUI in two years, it occurred while he was driving to practice, his BAC was pretty high, and he's had a few other incidents that were alcohol related. Last year he was the passenger in a car that crashed late at night, though I'm not certain that alcohol was involved. Frankly, I wouldn't be shocked if he was driving and his buddy jumped into the driver's seat after the crash, but that's admittedly a bit conspiracy theorist (to be fair, I wondered this at the time, not just following his second DUI). He also had the issues at his house party where we know alcohol was involved. Is he a hard-core alcoholic? I certainly can't say. But it's pretty clear he needs to make some changes.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If someone gets multiple DUIs it's a pretty safe bet that they are an alcoholic.

Or an NFL player, amirite?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If someone gets multiple DUIs it's a pretty safe bet that they are an alcoholic.

Or an NFL player, amirite?

I don't necessarily agree with that. People do stupid stuff, especially when they're young. I have a college buddy who got so trashed at the end of our senior year that he fell out of a fourth story window into a parking lot. Somewhat miraculously, he wasn't hurt all that badly (scraped up and I think tore his ACL). I figured he'd stop drinking for sure, or at least seriously curtail it, but he didn't really. I wouldn't consider him an alcoholic. He didn't drink every day, just fairly typical college binge drinking on the weekends. He kept that up for a while after college.

That said, people familiar with the situation think Aldon has a problem. I think the circumstances of the latest case suggest that. Second DUI, high BAC (especially for a guy his size), and particularly the timing: on a morning when he had to get to "work." That suggests a problem to me, not the second DUI alone.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't necessarily agree with that. People do stupid stuff, especially when they're young. I have a college buddy who got so trashed at the end of our senior year that he fell out of a fourth story window into a parking lot. Somewhat miraculously, he wasn't hurt all that badly (scraped up and I think tore his ACL). I figured he'd stop drinking for sure, or at least seriously curtail it, but he didn't really. I wouldn't consider him an alcoholic. He didn't drink every day, just fairly typical college binge drinking on the weekends. He kept that up for a while after college.

That said, people familiar with the situation think Aldon has a problem. I think the circumstances of the latest case suggest that. Second DUI, high BAC (especially for a guy his size), and particularly the timing: on a morning when he had to get to "work." That suggests a problem to me, not the second DUI alone.

I was basing that off of a lecture I once heard given by a Doctor who has an expert on addiction. I think it makes intuitive sense as well- aside from the physical problems it can create, that's one of the main problems with addiction: an uncontrollable behavior that leads to other problem behaviors regardless of the consequences one continually faces. Most reasonable people that have self control would probably cut out the drinking and driving after one DUI.

Also, I think it's a nice thought (Lord knows I've been there myself) that people should be given a free pass from alcoholism just because they are young or in college or not drinking every single day but I'm not sure it really works like that.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is good then I am all for him being back, but if this is rushed in any sort of way then I think it is bullshit.