• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL East Thread

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem isn't so much trading Torres for Story IMO, it's trading for someone that's an upcoming free agent will take money to sign him. I think they'd be better off seeing if Story hits free agency and then try to sign him while keeping Torres. Or sign Seager.

even if the Yankees do get Away Story, I still think he's a very solid player. But I do worry about how his contact skills will play away from Coors. His BABIP is 18 points higher at Coors (.355) than on the road (.337) and his K% at Coors is much lower (25.6%) than on the road (31.3%). but it is hard to predict players moving from Coors, Holliday was still a stud after leaving St. Louis (though his BA did drop a bit) and Lemahieu has flourished in NY. Tulo flamed out but I'd say that had more to do with injuries. We'll see

Torres isn't without his flaws either, but we're still talking about a middle infielder with 65 home runs and a 119 wRC+ in his first 1283 PA. That's an exciting player if you ask me. I just find it baffling to see Yankees fans ready to fire him into the sun. We're a week into the season, settle down.

I don’t see him improving defensively if they insist on him being a SS.

they move him to 2nd, I’ll simmer down on moving him

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing with that is he had no clear path to 2nd base right now since he's blocked by Lemahieu, and they can't just move DJ to 3rd since Urshela is there. IMO you just see if his bat can carry his defense. Hanley was a pretty bad defender even in his shortstop days.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing with that is he had no clear path to 2nd base right now since he's blocked by Lemahieu, and they can't just move DJ to 3rd since Urshela is there. IMO you just see if his bat can carry his defense. Hanley was a pretty bad defender even in his shortstop days.

Going down this path with Sanchez definitely plays into my pessimism. No doubt in my mind Sanchez worrying about his catching shortcomings affected his offense, and vice versa. All a complete mindfuck I could see happening with Gleyber.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kay suggested moving Urshela to SS if they wanted to be wacky but it brings another issues to the table because DJ isn't as good of a 3b as Gio so there's no perfect solution currently that doesn't involve making a trade

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kay suggested moving Urshela to SS if they wanted to be wacky but it brings another issues to the table because DJ isn't as good of a 3b as Gio so there's no perfect solution currently that doesn't involve making a trade

Gio seems too stiff and not athletic enough for SS

they can always pay another team to take Stanton and just DH Voight

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not an Odor fan but I think we have seen the last of Jay Bruce thankfully

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said it was on purpose? I just said they had a World Series hangover in 2019. You said they were “doormats”. Which of us do you think was more accurate?

Well they had the highest payroll in baseball and finished 20 games out of first place

Just trying to treat it all fairly, Yankees take a lot of shit when they have thee highest payroll and lose in the ALCS

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one would have batted an eye if DJ Lemehiue won the last 2 American League MVPs

gimme that guy
DJLM is a machine...for the Yankees. But he’s 32 and looked finished(in COL of all places) his past 2 years there. He wasn’t even league average when the Yankees signed him. That’s why that signing was widely mocked at the time. Somehow he’s become a monster in NYY. I don’t trust him to be that guy in Boston. Still taking Devers and Bogaerts over anything else in the NYY lineup.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJLM is a machine...for the Yankees. But he’s 32 and looked finished(in COL of all places) his past 2 years there. He wasn’t even league average when the Yankees signed him. That’s why that signing was widely mocked at the time. Somehow he’s become a monster in NYY. I don’t trust him to be that guy in Boston. Still taking Devers and Bogaerts over anything else in the NYY lineup.

Well you’re a Red Sox fan

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They haven’t finished below .500 in 30 years

they have played October baseball in like 25 of the last 27 seasons

the window never closes

there’s no “content being doormats” accepted here
And, yet, here we are. The Judge, Sanchez, Severino, Andujar, Torres “super team” we were promised hasn’t been more than a footnote, so far.

The Yankees HAVEN’T EVEN BEEN TO THE WORLD SERIES since 2009, and somehow you are OK with that. In fact we get a Dan Duquette-esque “more days in first place” argument out of you to defend their lack of winning anything meaningful. It’s hilarious.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you’re a Red Sox fan
Guy had a 91 OPS+ his last 2 years(of his prime years, FYI) in COL when he was signed off the scrap heap. He’s the right fit for the Yankees, but he was cooked prior to that. Not sure how to explain it.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, yet, here we are. The Judge, Sanchez, Severino, Andujar, Torres “super team” we were promised hasn’t been more than a footnote, so far.

The Yankees HAVEN’T EVEN BEEN TO THE WORLD SERIES since 2009, and somehow you are OK with that. In fact we get a Dan Duquette-esque “more days in first place” argument out of you to defend their lack of winning anything meaningful. It’s hilarious.

What’s hilarious is there is a very decent possibility the Red Sox will be going their 3rd straight season without playing a meaningful September game, and somehow your ok with that. So yeah I’ll take Exciting summers and October baseball every season, cause every season they have a chance to go to the World Series

saying the window is closing on a group all under 30 while the Red Sox are riding the back of a 35 year old you all hoped would opt out, who “magically” no one could get out anymore

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing everyone else out of position to improve Torres’s luck seems to be a particularly boneheaded solution.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy had a 91 OPS+ his last 2 years(of his prime years, FYI) in COL when he was signed off the scrap heap. He’s the right fit for the Yankees, but he was cooked prior to that. Not sure how to explain it.

Came to the Yankees as a former batting title winner and still in his prime

not much of a stretch he still had some great baseball

point is, I have crazy respect for Xander and Devers, but I’ll take the guy who has been better at baseball since becoming a Yankee