• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL Central Smack Talk

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pretty dam good baseball player as a kid....
but iam to modest to brag about it..
with urging I could tell you about how I got the only hit off a left hand pitcher in a all star game..who got signed by the CUBS

You tell me that story Doug, and ill tell you about my freshman year in HS when I grounded out to first off a guy the Os would draft later that month. I bounced back into the dugout. Happy as hell I atleast made contact. Hahahaha. I plunked him on purpose the second game of the DH. He talked a lot of shit while he was rackin up Ks earlier. Seemed fair. That stupidjerkface!

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball was my sport as well, in high school I had recruiters from a few pretty good colleges come watch me play. I was a switch hitting 2nd baseman but girls, drugs and alchohol got the better of me and I screwed it all up. I could have been drafted, or maybe I wasn't as good as they told me I was but all I got is what if...

Happens to the best of us.. Booze didn't help my decision making at that age either.. was recruited for basketball and actually graduated with an associates degree... but decided to go to the Marines for God knows what reason and ended up having to finish college when I got out. Luckily instead of scholarships I had the GI bill.. and had most of my college completed.. but I basically took for granted sports and only now realize what I threw away. I applaud those that can stay focused as athletes from a young age to the pros.. because by the time I was a senior I was abusing the benefits of being a great high school athlete so much I didn't care anymore playing the sports themselves... After my last high school basketball game I didn't play basketball for over a year... and I didn't run track my senior year because I was way more focused on boozing and girls...

Funny how life teaches you though.. I am who I am because of where I have been and the crap I have had to tread through.. and at 31.. I am comfortable with the amount of success I have had... just wish I would have appreciated the ride a little more in high school... that is for sure.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't worry my buddy ran a 1:53 and placed 2nd in the 800 in the state....we had 8 guys who could do 2:00 in the 800...nobody wins state with a 2 or more....unless they are a 1A farm school.

the 1a thing would explain the prom king, I do believe that part.

Never said I won.. I said I was all state.. which means I qualified for the state tournament.. I finished in the medals.. but didn't win any of the events in track.. I really didn't care about track at all and did it because I was trying to pump one of the older girls my freshman year and to get out of detention as a junior.

My main sport was basketball... which I was recruited by every team in michigan other than MSU

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the '11 lackey...the point being he didn't have very many QS but somehow got 12 wins....with run support...wins don't tell whos better SPs over QS.....heck you can even look up Wakefield for the next example...it goes on and on...heck the way Sanchez has pitched he should have a better record than Max....Felix should too, etc...etc..

I won't deny W-L isn't the best indicator of a starters overall performance. But QS' aren't telling any better of a story. Hell, ERA can be very misleading. Guys pitch differently with comfortable leads. Porcello gets QS', never goes deep into games while doing it. I could use that to paint an opinion one way or the other. I'm not a stat guy bums. I think most stats lie, without a background story.(except innings) Tim Wakefield is an odd anomaly all together(knuckleballer,... whatcanyado?). Good nights, bad nights and wild nights. I watched him in Stinktown once against Big CC. Me and 18 other people. Much bigger crowd the next night when the Tigers were in town.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frank Thomas, Jim Thome, or Joe Mauer
Just for hahas....

WAR from 1994-present only counting time spent on ALC teams:

Thome 63.0
Thomas 45.7
Mauer 44.1
Ordonez 38.5
Lofton 38.0
Cabrera 36.2
Santana 35.5
Ramirez 30.8
Konerko 29.9
Vizquel 29.8
Hunter 29.0
Colon 27.9
Sizemore 27.6
Sabathia 27.5
Belle 26.8
Peralta 24.9
V. Martinez 24.2
Morneau 23.1

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about Lofton. And Colon. He never gets any credit for some reason.....(obese roider?). I'm not sure, but I believe Thome still has more home runs at Comerica than any non-Tiger. (I really hope Cabrera now has more there than Inge, but Id have to look to be sure)

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about Lofton. And Colon. He never gets any credit for some reason.....(obese roider?). I'm not sure, but I believe Thome still has more home runs at Comerica than any non-Tiger. (I really hope Cabrera now has more there than Inge, but Id have to look to be sure)
Yeah, Lofton is really incredibly underrated. He's not a HOFer, but he shouldn't have fallen off the ballot after only one year. He should have been able to hang on for a few years.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a lot of value, to a lot of teams, for a long time. Played his position well, (Very Well)was a threat on the bases, and got on base a lot. Great option at the top of many an order. He was the best base stealer in baseball for a decent amount of time too. But he came around too late, for his own good. His era was cluttered with power hitters, and that wasn't his game(shouldn't have hurt his HOF chances that he bounced around so much. He only bounced from good club to good club). I definitely should have had him on my short list. The Indians were at the top of their game when he was there, if I remember right. (He made a few stops in Stinktown, I think)

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a lot of value, to a lot of teams, for a long time. Played his position well, (Very Well)was a threat on the bases, and got on base a lot. Great option at the top of many an order. He was the best base stealer in baseball for a decent amount of time too. But he came around too late, for his own good. His era was cluttered with power hitters, and that wasn't his game(shouldn't have hurt his HOF chances that he bounced around so much. He only bounced from good club to good club). I definitely should have had him on my short list. The Indians were at the top of their game when he was there, if I remember right. (He made a few stops in Stinktown, I think)
He had three separate stints in Cleveland. Kinda like Rickey, who had 4 with Oakland. They just kept going back...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked up Kenny's career earlier. Holy Hell did he ever move around!(13 stops,.... 3 just south of Lake Eerie) Cleveland was the only place he wanted to stay at for more than a season. That's impressive on its own. Every time I've been down there I'm ready to leave by the end of the weekend.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked up Kenny's career earlier. Holy Hell did he ever move around!(13 stops,.... 3 just south of Lake Eerie) Cleveland was the only place he wanted to stay at for more than a season. That's impressive on its own. Every time I've been down there I'm ready to leave by the end of the weekend.
Once he lost a step, teams were unwilling to give him multi-year deals. He was the rare speed player who was able to remain productive after losing a step, because he was great defensively, got on base at a good rate and worked a lot of walks. Most players of his ilk are finished in their early 30s once they lose a step because their entire game is predicated on their speed, and they lack other tools.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said I won.. I said I was all state.. which means I qualified for the state tournament.. I finished in the medals.. but didn't win any of the events in track.. I really didn't care about track at all and did it because I was trying to pump one of the older girls my freshman year and to get out of detention as a junior.

My main sport was basketball... which I was recruited by every team in michigan other than MSU

thought you said you only ran track freshman and sophmore year?

and yet again just at our school we had 8 guys able to run 2 min 800...guess our state has tons of all staters....I can see why you think making the playoffs is winning....completely makes sense now

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thought you said you only ran track freshman and sophmore year?

and yet again just at our school we had 8 guys able to run 2 min 800...guess our state has tons of all staters....I can see why you think making the playoffs is winning....completely makes sense now

You sure care a lot about me bums... I bet you would love to read my memoirs.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow the tigers are struggling.....so glad its cleveland chasing us...

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, not like the reason your on the "list" exposed...calm down ignore button...

The Tigers do have 9 more total....but not since 1969...like I said...not sure why you want to count years the Royals weren't even in the league...or can I count the A's titles too...lol...ignore button must be off...

will agree the Tigers have 3 and the Royals 2 on the AL pennents....but the Royals do have 6 division titles to the TIgers 5....

I like how since kc FINALLY got a team in 1969, that detroits history before that is nothing....so a tampa bay fan can really talk shit to alot of teams....its not our fault nobody wanted to bring a franchise to kc......tigers have FOUR WS ......the detroit tigers......the kansas city royals.....one.....im not into changing numbers or picking and choosing years to compare......dont blame tigers fans that kc baseball has no history.....take away 1985 and what does kc have?

Why would anyone bring up al west titles? Thats like a tiger fan telling a kc fan we have more al east titles......but the tigers DO have more WS titles.....go ahead and look it up...baseball wasnt first played in 1969......hows kc doing back in 3rd place this year?

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, not like the reason your on the "list" exposed...calm down ignore button...

The Tigers do have 9 more total....but not since 1969...like I said...not sure why you want to count years the Royals weren't even in the league...or can I count the A's titles too...lol...ignore button must be off...

will agree the Tigers have 3 and the Royals 2 on the AL pennents....but the Royals do have 6 division titles to the TIgers 5....

Tigers have more division titles than the royals....what? Were not suposed to remember our history because the royals have none? So when we talk best players ever.....can we name players like ruth? I mean, he played before the royals were around.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I should have said who's the best player in the short history of the AL Central who didn't do roids?

Guess when your team is out of it, you need to just make stupid shit up.....so sad.....i used to enjoy your input to this thread nos.....now im sorry i ever invited you over here.......you just stir crap up....

I guess someone had to be robin to bums batman.....guess ill try the ignore button...one thing to talk smack, but to just keep trying to stir shit up......go watch some girls hockey....

Well mrhockey, i guess your the last twin standing over here for me....hope u keep coming in so i can get the twinkies updates. Still trying to catch up on these 10 pages of jibber jabber from a losers fan aka bum.

Just funny how a twins fan could agree with bum and win it all or the season sucks bs, after years of winning the division and the same fans, disappointed in not winning one series in the playoffs, still would say how nice it was to win the division....tigers have played in the ALCS and the WS the last 2 years, and a royals fan wants to talk shit. Royals would shit their pants with joy to make the postseason.....look how happy bum was just from a sweep of a DH in detroit.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to talk about Tigers draft picks since 1969....I don't give a rats fart about the TIgers before the Royals joined the league...

If you really want to do this...my FAVORITE team is the Dodgers...so sure...lets go down that route...your up...

We dont give a rats fart about the royals......ever......nobody does......one of the WORST baseball franchises. Just because you dont care about the tigers before the royals existed, dont mean they didnt exist....hell some people werent even born yet the last time kc made the playoffs.

You bring up how detroit has had 2 of their worst years in the past 11 years....so you have to admit.....thats one helluva turn around...2 WS appearances since those years.....kc hasnt even smelled the playoffs since i was in jr high......wow!

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to talk about Tigers draft picks since 1969....I don't give a rats fart about the TIgers before the Royals joined the league...

If you really want to do this...my FAVORITE team is the Dodgers...so sure...lets go down that route...your up...

Hahaha youre one of those guys with multiple teams? Bwahahaha ....that says it all......so if your favorite team is the dodgers? Can you claim any of their history before the royals of 69?

I shouldnt be surprised....a royals fan, who has ANOTHER favorite team:laugh3: