• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ajayi dumping on the playcalling

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his fumble doesn't take away from the fact he's dead on. i'm becoming more and more convinced pederson wasn't the one who changed the offensive scheme early on last year.

PHILADELPHIA -- Eagles running back Jay Ajayi was puzzled by the decision to not lean on the ground game, particularly early, in Sunday's 23-21 loss to the Minnesota Vikings which dropped the defending champs to 2-3 on the season.

"Obviously we want to be able to run the ball early and start that rhythm early in the beginning of the game. If I remember correctly we had maybe three carries at the end of the first quarter," he told reporters afterwards.

"With the offensive line we have on this team, running the ball like that, that doesn't make sense to me."

Ajayi, who is playing with a transverse fracture in his back, didn't receive his first carry until the second quarter, and the Eagles called just four meaningful runs over the first half while falling behind 17-3.

Coach Doug Pederson ended up calling 35 pass plays to 17 runs despite the backs averaging close to five yards per carry on the ground.

It was a similar story last week, with the Eagles dialing up 50 passes to 22 rushes (5.3 yards per attempt) in a 26-23 loss to the Titans. The Eagles have been short-handed at the running back position with both Darren Sproles (hamstring) and Corey Clement (quad) hampered by injuries.

Quarterback Carson Wentz has been averaging 41 dropbacks per game since returning from multi-ligament knee surgery in Week 3, and has taken his share of punishment. He has been sacked 12 times and absorbed 27 QB hits in three games of work this season.

The offensive line has not been as reliable as expected in pass protection, and there are times when Wentz is holding the ball too long.

"Obviously, you want to eliminate as many as you can, reduce the number of hits," Pederson said. "Active quarterback, you know he's going to move and made some great plays [Sunday] with his legs and found some holes to run and to throw out of."

The Eagles went run-heavy to start the second half against Minnesota and found immediate success, but Ajayi fumbled at the Vikings five-yard line to squander the opportunity.

"I can't do that," Ajayi said. "I pride myself on being elite. I want to be elite. I want to be the best. You can't do that when your team is counting on you."

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a 70/30 pass run ratio and you cannot win in the NFL like that. We did not win the Superbowl like that.

John

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Jay - Just shut up and play - and STOP fumbling.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Jay - Just shut up and play - and STOP fumbling.

His point was valid and he talked about the fumble as well. He said he wants to be elite and he cannot fumble that ball. His calling out the play calling will force the Eagles to take a look internally at what is going on. 70/30 pass run ration? That is just stupid. We do not have the weapons on the outside to be running this kind of offense.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did any pholky fans notice on the pick 6, ajayi easily could of caught him and gave no effort to stop the lineman from running

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did any pholky fans notice on the pick 6, ajayi easily could of caught him and gave no effort to stop the lineman from running

I did not notice that. I looked at the replay a few times and may have missed it.....but it was a fumble not a pick 6. The offensive line has been horrible. The Eagles probably are blizted more than any other team because there is zero respect for the run.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not notice that. I looked at the replay a few times and may have missed it.....but it was a fumble not a pick 6. The offensive line has been horrible. The Eagles probably are blizted more than any other team because there is zero respect for the run.
Whoops u r right but watch towards the end when he’s like twenty yards out ajayi is just jogging

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoops u r right but watch towards the end when he’s like twenty yards out ajayi is just jogging

I believe you but you have to admit that DT looked awefully fast......I was pretty impressed with his speed considering how big he was.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ajayi is playing with a messed up back. while that doesn't excuse his fumble or any lack of effort that might have happened, it's at least understandable.

also, while we're all disappointed in the o-line.. is it not the same as the beginning of last year? i was told we couldn't run the ball because the o-line "sucked." i said that's bullshit, pederson is refusing to run it. they began pounding the ball against the giants and continued that balance throughout the year. i expect them to do the same on thursday. watch for 30+ carries on the ground this week. and watch how much better the protection is for wentz.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The o-line sucked, and also Ajayi sucked. The WR's mostly sucked, and the TE's were mediocre, except Ertz, who almost always stars. The CB's sucked the LBers were mediocre, and the D-line were real good.

Doug gets a D, and he misses Reich. I don't think Groh contributes very much.

John

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His point was valid and he talked about the fumble as well. He said he wants to be elite and he cannot fumble that ball. His calling out the play calling will force the Eagles to take a look internally at what is going on. 70/30 pass run ration? That is just stupid. We do not have the weapons on the outside to be running this kind of offense.
His calling out the play calling will not force the Eagles to do anything. I hope that Pederson changes his approach but it will have absolutely nothing to do with Ajayi running his mouth.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team lacks explosive players on Offense. It would be nice if we could run more and control the clock a lot better.... The problem though is that we've been banged up at the RB position. Ajayi (now on IR) had been banged up through the first few games and was playing with a broken bone in his back; Clement has been MIA most of the season so far; Sproles has been hurt mostly all the way. Smallwood has been the only healthy Back and he's just an "average" player. At receiver we lost Mike Wallace who was suppose to be the field stretcher; we lost Mack Hollins who was expected to take the next step as the outside guy and we just got Alshon back last game. To complicate things we move Agholor out of the slot where he had carved out a niche and now he's back to being unproductive. To top things off our OL seems to have taken the first few games off ... not playing with any fire. Wentz is doing as best he can under the circumstances ... he's still doing a great job of fitting balls in places most other QB's can't, but the rest of the squad needs to give him better support. I honestly don't see many obvious answers to remedy the situation on O. :(

Darth Dawkins

kffl trev
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's going to carry the ball 30 times vs NY? Serious question, does anyone know Clements status? I appreciate the effort Smallwood is making but we are one injury away from having no RBs.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clement is practicing in full, but I don't expect him to get much of a "load" ... at least not this week as they ease him back. I expect Smallwood to carry the main load. Josh Adams may get an opportunity with 5 or so touches.