• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

After Dooley is fired after the Scar game who coaches?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if there's any truth to it, didn't read the thread...too long. could be someone just starting a rumor.

I would doubt there's any truth to it.

I'd also doubt Tennessee could afford much more than that. I just don't see a guy like Gruden even bothering with a collegiate HC when he's a highly regarded NFL coach. It would be one thing if he was a failure, and had no other options......which is how most pro coaches become college coaches. Gruden has his pick of open jobs mostly in the NFL. To think he's going to seriously consider taking a step backwards WILLINGLY is a fools errand

jmoore_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, really?

So tell us, WHY would he take ANY college job over a better paying, higher visible pro job?

And no homeristic impossibilities either. Let's see some logical, rational reasons why ANYONE would do that. Very few colleges can pay what he would command in the NFL, and he doesnt' have to deal with the NCAA or recruiting or anything else.

I can't wait to read this.

EDIT: Gruden is on record as stating just this summer that HE WILL RETURN to coaching at the NFL level when the right opportunity opens up.

So please, TELL ME why he would take a lowly collegiate gig?

Do some research.

I'm not saying Tennessee gets Gruden, but he is interested & our AD has contacted him.

Cane

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bobby Petrino is available!

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dooley with his predecessor? :shocked:

pNGGh.jpg

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's Houston Nutt doing these days?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do some research.

I'm not saying Tennessee gets Gruden, but he is interested & our AD has contacted him.

So in other words, you have no answers to my questions. I've done my research.....Gruden is on PUBLIC RECORD that he wants another NFL job. You can't pay him what he'll make in the NFL.

Just because you made him an offer does not mean he's seriously considering it or in play.

So unless you have something beyond rumor, I'll continue to laugh at homers that think there is anything above 0% this can happen.

jmoore_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in other words, you have no answers to my questions. I've done my research.....Gruden is on PUBLIC RECORD that he wants another NFL job. You can't pay him what he'll make in the NFL.

Just because you made him an offer does not mean he's seriously considering it or in play.

So unless you have something beyond rumor, I'll continue to laugh at homers that think there is anything above 0% this can happen.

1) Jon Gruden was a graduate assistant at Tennessee in the late 80's under coach Johnny Majors

2) Gruden met his current wife while being a graduate assistant at Tennessee, his wife was a Tennessee Vols cheerleader who was born in East Tennessee, went to HS 30 minutes from Knoxville, her entire family still lives there, Gruden owns land & has a house in her home town & they visit 3-4 times a year.

3) He has said that IF he was to coach in college the only 2 jobs he'd accept are Tennessee & Notre Dame.

4) Before we hired Derek Dooley Jon Gruden let it be known to our AD that he WAS interested in the job but at the time we couldn't meet his price demand.

5) Gruden was on campus for 2 days this past summer for a coaching clinic & told multiple people that Tennessee is a GREAT job & he would have interest if the timing was right.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Jon Gruden was a graduate assistant at Tennessee in the late 80's under coach Johnny Majors

2) Gruden met his current wife while being a graduate assistant at Tennessee, his wife was a Tennessee Vols cheerleader who was born in East Tennessee, went to HS 30 minutes from Knoxville, her entire family still lives there, Gruden owns land & has a house in her home town & they visit 3-4 times a year.

3) He has said that IF he was to coach in college the only 2 jobs he'd accept are Tennessee & Notre Dame.

4) Before we hired Derek Dooley Jon Gruden let it be known to our AD that he WAS interested in the job but at the time we couldn't meet his price demand.

5) Gruden was on campus for 2 days this past summer for a coaching clinic & told multiple people that Tennessee is a GREAT job & he would have interest if the timing was right.

He's also said the exact same thing for numerous pro jobs. They don't have any problems meeting his salary demands, and Tennessee will.

You're talking north of 7 million. Is your AD realistically going to pay that price???

I have NO DOUBTS he loves Tennessee. I have HUGE DOUBTS that he'd willingly take that job over ANY NFL job unless he had no other options.

jmoore_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's also said the exact same thing for numerous pro jobs. They don't have any problems meeting his salary demands, and Tennessee will.

You're talking north of 7 million. Is your AD realistically going to pay that price???

I have NO DOUBTS he loves Tennessee. I have HUGE DOUBTS that he'd willingly take that job over ANY NFL job unless he had no other options.

So you're going to tell me that for the past 5 years no Pro teams have approached Gruden about a job? Yes they have & he's turned them down, he might be itching to get back to the Pro's as some thing.

Secondly, base pay no he wouldn't get 7 million a year, but w/ incentives, endorsment deals ect.. he could get 7 million a year.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is Dooley's buyout if he's fired? I know they drew up a contract to protect each other after Kiffin ran off.

jmoore_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is Dooley's buyout if he's fired? I know they drew up a contract to protect each other after Kiffin ran off.

$5 million if he is fired before Feb. 2013, it drops to $4 million after that until his contract expires in 2015.

The buyout is not an issue, boosters have already agreed to pay it if Dooley is indeed fired.

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isnt Dooley's buyout more than what Kiffin's was? :burt:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're going to tell me that for the past 5 years no Pro teams have approached Gruden about a job? Yes they have & he's turned them down, he might be itching to get back to the Pro's as some thing.

Secondly, base pay no he wouldn't get 7 million a year, but w/ incentives, endorsment deals ect.. he could get 7 million a year.

I think he's waiting on the the RIGHT job in the pros. Not just ANY job. The fact is, he's a hot prospect in the NFL......until that changes, you're living in fantasy land if you think he's turning that down.

He'd be basically admitting he can't compete at the highest level with the best athletes, and has no competitive fire.

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether Gruden is our next corch or not, I'm still ready for a change. IMO, Dooley was never qualified for the job in the first place. I love the guy, I think he's truly doing his best, but he is way in over his head. I'll wish him the best wherever he ends up.

Last edited by a moderator:

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether Gruden is our next corch or not, I'm still ready for a change. IMO, Dooley was never qualified for the job in the first. I love the guy, I think he's truly doing his best, but he is way in over his head. I'll wish him the best wherever he ends up.

I was shocked they gave Dooley such a long contract. He hadn't proven much of anything before they hired him.

jmoore_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's waiting on the the RIGHT job in the pros. Not just ANY job. The fact is, he's a hot prospect in the NFL......until that changes, you're living in fantasy land if you think he's turning that down.

He'd be basically admitting he can't compete at the highest level with the best athletes, and has no competitive fire.

Lol riiiiiiight, if that's what you want to believe.

Again, I'm not saying Gruden WILL get hired I'm saying he has legit interest & our AD is going to try & get him.

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since he's been here, we've lost to Kentucky for the first time in 27 years, lost to Mississippi St for the first time since 1994, repeatedly pounded by our "rivals". He's only won 4 (right?) Conference games so far. Kiffin won that many in his only season here. Dooley's first year we went 6-7, then 5-7, and most likely now on our way to a 6 or 7 win season. He is our Shula or Zook.