• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

After 2 seasons-was Dany Heatley worth it?

Was signing Heater a good one in hindsight?

• Yes-we need him to make it to the finals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He's not doing enough

Votes: 14 100.0%

• Total voters

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heatley actually looked good last night. He needs to hit the damn net though. If he's traded, there will be alot of crap talent coming back to the Sharks. His contract gives him a negative value imo. He needs to go before he's 33, slower, and still making $7.5.

No GM wants that.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know that mayers, wallin, and Huskins are UFA's and if Mcginn isnt given a 1M+ offer, he will be too? Aint noone buying the rights to negotiate with those guys early.

Nah, I didn't look at the roster to see who's signed for how much longer yet, but I was only half-serious anyway.

But hey, that's great... that all those useless bodies are FA's of some sort.

I'm with whomever said it already though... I am 99.99999% sure that DW is going to re-sign Wallin... he'll prolly let Huskins walk but we'll be stuck with Wallin again next year, I'm sure. :L

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, I didn't look at the roster to see who's signed for how much longer yet, but I was only half-serious anyway.

But hey, that's great... that all those useless bodies are FA's of some sort.

I'm with whomever said it already though... I am 99.99999% sure that DW is going to re-sign Wallin... he'll prolly let Huskins walk but we'll be stuck with Wallin again next year, I'm sure. :L

I get the running joke that Wallin will be re-signed, but seriously...no way is Wallin a Shark next season. N-O W-A-Y. There are so many other cheaper options out there for #7 dmen. Mike Moore is just as slow as Wallin but he's cheaper and at least Moore can improve with some icetime.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're forgetting that Dougie *loves* Wallin... Wallin is his "type of player"...

If DW is back as GM, there is NO doubt in my mind that Wallin will be re-signed...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the answers are misworded... it can be a good trade even if we dont need him to make the finals. It can also be a good trade even if he isnt doing enough. If it was just yes/no, the answers might be different.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. We had two contracts that were at least semi-tradeable (Cheech could have been buried in the minors) and now we have one $7.5million anchor that is going to get worse with age. In the Salary Cap age, this is going to be tough. Pre-Salary Cap, it would have been an awesome trade.

That said, I'm not all that unbiased on the matter.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I still think heater was better than michalek would have been these past two seasons. he wasnt the superstar we were supposed to be getting, but he was better than milan. (I leave out cheech, cuz well, he isnt even an NHLer). Burying 3M in the minors is not something that the SJ ownership is OK with (they already have to pay mcintyre 600k in the AHL) and I don't blame them.

If dougie deals heater this offseason, then I would view it as a good trade, or if he reverts to form next year. He is not old (30 is right in most players' prime) and he should be at the top pf his game. He has definitely disappointed, but for some reason, I feel he is learning the meaning of work here and figuring out that if you dont work, you end up on a 4th line. Hopefully that message will settle in a bit better next year.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buy him out and admit you fucked up like a man...

(but yeah, won't ever happen...)

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Buy him out and admit you fucked up like a man...

(but yeah, won't ever happen...)

haha... man, that would strap the team for 6 years. Heater isn't THAT bad. he is still a 25+ goal, 60+ pt player. Not worth 7.5, but he'd be OK for 5 or so. Buying him out would only be good for a guy like redden who isnt worth 1/3 of his salary.

Dany hasn't been THAT bad... not good, not worth the salary, and clearly not what we expected and hoped for, but not THAT bad either.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think heater was better than michalek would have been these past two seasons......

Hopefully that message will settle in a bit better next year.

I don't - I still would rather have kept Michalek.. in fact if memory serves, the initial trade was really only for Cheech and Milan was thrown it to tip it over. He should have tossed someone else in there imho...

I put absolutely no faith that a 30 yr/old will finally 'get the message'... in fact, if you are making the NHL max and have to be told 'a message' to make some plays you are already on my shit list.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He *IS* that bad, though... he scores in bunches when the team needs him the least. Fucking useless.

Yeah, I'm not sure how the buying out works and I was only half serious but I figured he's owed like $15M (2 years?) or something?

That's probably less than what the Sharks made this postseason in the 3 series...

Chalk it up as a loss that has to be done and go get some decent players instead of Mayers-caliber "has beens" that are mostly washed up garbage.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't - I still would rather have kept Michalek.. in fact if memory serves, the initial trade was really only for Cheech and Milan was thrown it to tip it over. He should have tossed someone else in there imho...

I put absolutely no faith that a 30 yr/old will finally 'get the message'... in fact, if you are making the NHL max and have to be told 'a message' to make some plays you are already on my shit list.

i think the trade was mainly for michalek (he was the young one will all the potential) with cheech thrown in to balance salary. By the trade, cheech was already on his way out as a so-so 3rd liner. Michalek, since the deal, has a total of 67 points and -24 in his two years in ottawa while missing a total of 32 games. His knee problems are serious and he has never recovered. He's a big guy whose whole game is based on power skating and speed and knee injuries end that, and he just cant be the player he was hoped for.

Heatley, despite the disappointment, has averaged 32 goals and 73 points in his two seasons here in the regular season. Those are pretty solid numbers, and would be worth 6M+ on the open market, maybe even 7M. his PO's have been disappointing of course, but sometimes is sounds like the guy is putting up chris drury-type production for his salary. He's not in that league and I still think he is a positive contributor to the team, just not living up to expectations.

EDIT: Would I trade him to make cap room for a #1 dman? In a second, and who knows, it could happen. Toronto has lots of space and need help up front. So does Montreal. So does NYR. lots of potential targets if dougie tries to walk that route.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The origional trade was Ehrhoff and Cheechoo for Heatley but Murray didn't want a dman. Michalek was substituted for Ehrhoff last minute.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Michaleks speed sure is missed and he puts up the same numbers as heatler and in fewer games played and cheaper and isnt a defensive liability, so yeah this trade is a collective 7.5million dollar shit stain in the sharks designer underwear

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. We had two contracts that were at least semi-tradeable (Cheech could have been buried in the minors) and now we have one $7.5million anchor that is going to get worse with age. In the Salary Cap age, this is going to be tough. Pre-Salary Cap, it would have been an awesome trade.

That said, I'm not all that unbiased on the matter.

Reported!

:ranger:

/Better luck next year, filo, shitty way for the Sharks to go out...The boys gave a valiant effort.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reported!

:ranger:

/Better luck next year, filo, shitty way for the Sharks to go out...The boys gave a valiant effort.

I said I wasn't an Unbiased Sports Fan when it comes to Heatley! ;)

yeah. This one's gonna burn for a little while. No offense to the Canucks (because they deserve to be where they are), but I just think the Sharks beat themselves this time instead of them outclassing us. Last year against Chicago, the boys deserved to get stomped. This year it didn't feel anywhere close to that.....it just leaves so much to regret. Oh well, at least I'm getting really used to failure when it comes to hockey. From the great adventures of Felix Potvin to the aforementioned Sharks.