• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

After 2 seasons-was Dany Heatley worth it?

Was signing Heater a good one in hindsight?

• Yes-we need him to make it to the finals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He's not doing enough

Votes: 14 100.0%

• Total voters

li0lsh

Hoopla Cash
$ 737.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2009-2010: 39G, 43A, 82Points, 14+/-
2010-2011: 26G, 38A, 64Points, 8+/-

Does not include the playoffs as I don't want to dumb his numbers down too much.

Straight up: Was Heatley worth Michalek and Cheechoo? What would you do realisitcly if you were Doug Wilson?

Heater has a NTC going into the 12/13 season. You'd have to buy him out if you wanted to get rid of him

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2009-2010: 39G, 43A, 82Points, 14+/-
2010-2011: 26G, 38A, 64Points, 8+/-

Does not include the playoffs as I don't want to dumb his numbers down too much.

Straight up: Was Heatley worth Michalek and Cheechoo? What would you do realisitcly if you were Doug Wilson?

Heater has a NTC going into the 12/13 season. You'd have to buy him out if you wanted to get rid of him

Is the NTC confirmed? DP quoted Wilson in saying that Heaters NTC was no longer in effect.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is the "FUCK NO!" option?

SharkFan0720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
UGH, this guy is the single most disappointing player EVER on any of the teams I root for u.

li0lsh

Hoopla Cash
$ 737.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
couture has more goals in his playoff career than heater has in his...

I def shoulda added a "FUCK NO" option

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He is better than michalek and cheech, yes. the money would be the same, and cheech is not even an NHLer and michalek has never established himself as more than a 3rd liner and has major knee injuries.

As such, yes, I think it was a good deal and they did make it to the WCF twice with him, but obviously, he's been quite disappointing. I'm ready to see him go if dougie can land anyone reasonable. I could see him r*pe sather for staal :-)...

Bowlby

The DON
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i mean, we gave up nothing pretty much.... but he did blow in the playoffs.. besides tonight and 10 seconds into game one vs LA

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO he's better than Cheechoo and Michalek, but he's not worth the $7.5M that he's still owed for what the next 3 seasons? I'd love to see him traded and have the Sharks upgrade their D and bottom 6, but that contract is ridiculously hard to move. And that's assuming Doug even wants to trade him, which I'm guessing he doesn't. The best we can hope for is that he can return to being a 40 goal scorer. I don't see anything else happening.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i said it before the trade, he wasnt worth it, however it was from his ego not his ability.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
UGH, this guy is the single most disappointing player EVER on any of the teams I root for u.

Even more diappointing then the Ed Belfore trade/disappointment?? No way man...

He did great last year numbers wise, and this year he wasnt the only player whos numbers declined. Im pretty sure all of the big 3 had drops in production this year. This year the scoring was more spread out with what? 6 20 goal guys, versus last year when only Heat, Mar & Thorn were scoring.

Would I do this trade again?? Yessir!! And when you think bout it it was Milan for Heater cause we ended up getting Cheech back for nothing (although in the minors)

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If dougie wanted to, I actually think he could trade heater. 7.5 is a lot, but he is still considered a top caliber player. he still has multiple 100 pt seasons under his belt and he is still in his prime. There are alot of teams that would take him on, I think. NYR and TOR especially needs help up front and have lots of cap space. I dunno what dougie could get back in return, but I think he could salary dump if he wanted to.

However, I wouldnt expect dougie to try. He has to like his team as it is. Truth is, with a healthy demers, and 1 more top Dman, this might have been a very different series. Basically our forwards did match theirs, the difference was on D, pure and simple. The sharks had no answer for bieksa and couldnt get the Salo-like game 4 performance on their 1:30 of 5 on 3 in the 1st period. Boyle fanned a ton and they had basically no other Dman who could score. Bieksa and Salo scored as many goals in the series as the entire sharks D throughout the whole PO's. What does that tell you is the team need?

Last edited by a moderator:

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO! The team has shitty defense (not just because of missing Demers) AND it has no 4th line... most nights, no 3rd line either.

The team was not and is not just 1-2 players away from a "solid" roster...

Don't let the Doug Wilson propaganda fuck with your brains so much, eh?

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Where is the "No more Cheechoo??! DONE DEAL!" Option?

I would do the trade every day for what was given up. Even more so knowing what the players have come to.

Michalek was a beast and I really liked his play but the injuries have been devastating.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we convince him to go to Edmonton now? haha!

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Heatley + Mitchell + Seto + Mayers + McGinn to Nashville for Weber? LOL.

We can even throw in Wallin and Huskins for "free" if needed.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
NO! The team has shitty defense (not just because of missing Demers) AND it has no 4th line... most nights, no 3rd line either.

The team was not and is not just 1-2 players away from a "solid" roster...

Don't let the Doug Wilson propaganda fuck with your brains so much, eh?

I feel your pain, rares. I really do and this summer will be the last that I defend dougie only if he 1. lets wallin and huskins walk. 2. add a top pairing dman.

That said, our forwards were fine this series. The problem was obviously and clearly the D.

The vancouver D has scored a total of 14 goals in the PO's and scored 7 in just this series alone (bieksa: 4, Salo: 2, rome: 1). The sharks D in comparison had just 7 goals all PO's with just 1 in this series. The forward production was basically the same as the sharks were only outscored by 7, virtually the same difference in the defensive goals.

Demers would have made some difference but not enough. however, demers and a top 2 Dman would have made a very big difference. Not only would they get alot more offensive push from the D, but it would mean no minutes for wallin and huskins as well. Imagine the combined 30 minutes for huskins and wallin instead being taken by Weber. Think abut the difference just that one move would make. They really are only a 1 or 2 guys away.

As for the 3rd line, pavs struggled some but had a very good last game. Wellwood struggled a bit too but wasnt that bad. Obviously, compared to the torres line, our 3rd line was beaten, but like I said, the forwards matched up evenly. a touch of help there wouldnt hurt, but the 3rd line wasnt the difference in the series.

In addition to the top pairing threat on D, Dougie could use maybe 1 respectable manny-type 3rd liner. the 4th line can be created in house with a mix and match of desjardins, ferriero, mcginn, and rookies coming up. I still think wingels or mashinter may be sharks come PO time next year and I really like the idea of giving the younger guys a chance to fight it out and establish themselves. They are really hungry for a regular spot and it gives the team a chance to see what they have and hopefully get something out of nothing (kinda like demers, who was a 7th round pick a couple years back). They also signed some FA's out of college and jr's like Brodie Reid, sena acolatse, and Mike connelly, as well as advancers from jr's like sgarbossa, viedensky, or varone, many of whom will start the year in worcester but any of them could emerge from the pack to be impact players with the big club. I encourage dougie to give those guys a shot and keep that competition going all year in hopes that a diamond in the rough emerges. that happens a fair amount for SJ and it could happen again.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How about Heatley + Mitchell + Seto + Mayers + McGinn to Nashville for Weber? LOL.

We can even throw in Wallin and Huskins for "free" if needed.

You do know that mayers, wallin, and Huskins are UFA's and if Mcginn isnt given a 1M+ offer, he will be too? Aint noone buying the rights to negotiate with those guys early.