• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFC West vs NFC West (Good for the Broncos)

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As fate would have it, the two best divisions of 2013 will face off in 2014, including a Super Bowl rematch. I think the general consensus is the NFC West is the better division, and I'd actually agree. Take the weakest teams from 2013, for example. The Raiders were a 4-12 team in the AFC West and likely any other division they played in as well. But the Rams, who went 7-9 in 2013, likely would have been 10-6 if they played in the NFC North or East. Also, while the AFC West sent 3 teams to the playoffs and the NFC West only 2, the NFC West had a 3rd place team at 10-6, a mark usually good enough for a playoff spot.

I think these matchups this year promise to be some of the most intriguing. I think the Broncos and the Chargers are best equipped to compete against the NFC West, but overall in 16 total matchups I expect the NFC West teams to combine for 10 wins.

Broncos: 3-1 (One loss to the Seahawks, a pick I would reluctantly have made even if the Super Bowl outcome had been different.)

Chargers: 2-2 (Although I am on the fence and think 1-3 is possible, with losses against the Cards, Niners, and Hawks.)

Chiefs: 1-3

Raiders: 0-4

Overall the non-conference slate helps the Broncos if nothing else. It pits them and their AFC West rivals against a very tough division. The difference is the Broncos are the only AFC West team that has a legitimate shot to post a winning record against this portion of the schedule. This is exceedingly problematic for teams like the Chargers and Chiefs, who are already going to be hard pressed to keep up with the Broncos as is.

But who knows. These divisions only look good right now. Maybe they won't look so competitive halfway through the season. Until we know for sure, what else are we going to talk about until the season starts?

Go Broncos!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is good and bad in us playing the NFC West this year. The good is the Broncos get to really size themselves up against what looks like some of the better teams in the league. Last year other than a couple of games we really didn't have a lot of resistance towards us finishing near the top.

The couple of bad things though. Indy and New England both look to have a bit easier schedules than us meaning they have the easier path to that bye week and more importantly home field advantage. Home field seems to be that great equalizer when the lesser team is home. So we could have a tougher path to the Super Bowl in the playoffs compared to this last year where we knew we had homefield.

The second is I could see us and the NFC West really beating each other up as both groups want to play some major smash mouth football. At the same time I guess we really couldn't be much more hurt than we were last year. The only time I remember thinking about this many injuries is when we had like 7 RB's go down in one season back in I think 2008.

Honestly though I am looking forward to these games as I do think we will be even more playoff ready than we were the year before. The team doesn't have time to sulk on losing the Super Bowl as they have to focus on the games ahead.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The couple of bad things though. Indy and New England both look to have a bit easier schedules than us meaning they have the easier path to that bye week and more importantly home field advantage. Home field seems to be that great equalizer when the lesser team is home. So we could have a tougher path to the Super Bowl in the playoffs compared to this last year where we knew we had homefield.

I've already managed my own expectations. I am on record as predicting the Pats at 14-2 and with the #1 seed and the Colts at 13-3 and #2. I've got the Broncos at a very impressive for their schedule 12-4 and in the #3 spot.

The bye week and #1 seed gives no assurances of playoff success. In the last two years the Broncos had it twice. They squandered it in 2012, and made it to the Super Bowl in 2013. It's anyone's guess what will happen if my prediction turns out correct. I'd expect the Broncos to handle both the #6 seed they would face as well as the Colts. And I wouldn't shy about their chances of going into NE and beating the Patriots either, but that is a long way out.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason I would like the Bye Week for the Broncos especially this year is because our Bye Week is so early in the season. Most teams like a later bye week to kind of recover from playing so many straight games. I am with you in the Broncos could actually have a worse record this season and get the 3 seed and still be a much better team than they were last year.

Right now I would probably be with you on the Colts and Patriots standing a very good chance to finish above us. IF we stand any chance we have to win the head to head. Easier said that done for sure.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are so right about the early bye week. I groaned when I saw how early it was. We've been fortunate though, so I guess we were due for an early one. With that said, if the Broncos are in a groove as the regular season winds down, a bye week could do more harm than good. I think that played into the loss against the Ravens. I think the late season loss to the Chargers had a lot to do with the Broncos avoiding another divisional round disappointment following a bye.

I've got the Broncos reaching a mark of 8-4 following a loss to the Chiefs in Kansas City. That means I'm looking for an 8 game win streak to close out the season. 4 regular season wins and 4 playoff wins. :suds:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are so right about the early bye week. I groaned when I saw how early it was. We've been fortunate though, so I guess we were due for an early one. With that said, if the Broncos are in a groove as the regular season winds down, a bye week could do more harm than good. I think that played into the loss against the Ravens. I think the late season loss to the Chargers had a lot to do with the Broncos avoiding another divisional round disappointment following a bye.

I've got the Broncos reaching a mark of 8-4 following a loss to the Chiefs in Kansas City. That means I'm looking for an 8 game win streak to close out the season. 4 regular season wins and 4 playoff wins. :suds:

I could live with that for sure. I agree that the Bye week in the playoffs is a tough one of whether it is actually good or bad for the team. I saw 2 years ago where our team came out really flat and just laid an egg against a team they really should have beat. Yet then last year I watched them really destroy both the Patriots and Chargers (final score really didn't indicate how much the Broncos dominated both of those games) and looked very focused.

Obviously as Bronco fans we have seen the team do it both ways of winning going through the wildcard back in 97 season but also then having the #1 seed and winning it all in 98. Either way the Broncos decide to do it is fine by me.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still not completely sold on my Chargers just yet. Three things are problematic for us. One, our O line has been a patch work of wounded warriors, which leads to number two, our lack luster running game. Without these two things working consistently, Rivers is pretty much hamstringed. The third is our defense, specifically the secondary. I know we have added to excellent cover men, but we've been so bad for so long, I'll believe it when I see it. Realistically, I think we will go 2-2, as I don't think we are equipped to take down the Seahawks and Niners. We will have to play a nearly perfect game to take the Cardinals (my surprise team in the NFC). I think we will handle the Rams with little problem.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chargers really are the dark horse team in our division. They have Rivers so because of that alone they are playoff contenders. The OL held together pretty well for the group they had but like you said not sure what to expect from them. I do like the RB depth that SD has though and do expect them to be a pretty good unit.

Defense is definitely the question mark in my opinion for SD though. Getting Flowers was impressive but he was used and abused last season. I do think a lot of that was more because of scheme and it not lining up with his skills than him actually going downhill. I also question whether they are deep enough especially on the defensive side of the ball to handle say a top level guy goes down with injury again. If the Chargers can stay healthy I can see them being a competitive team in most games and making the NFC West really take notice. I have seen quite a few NFC West fans that just expect they are going to just destroy the AFC West this year and I think they are in for a rude surprise. I do expect them to win the overall record between all of us but I do expect the games to be a lot more competitive than they expect.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Rams matchup really well with the Chiefs. The Rams have a great special teams unit to keep the Chiefs from getting special teams TDs and the Chiefs oline looks to be a trainwreck of sorts.

The Broncos are the nightmare matchup unless Peyton throws 3 interceptions.

The Chargers matchup is a bit on an unknown but they generally matchup favorably with the Rams in every place but the Chargers oline vs the Rams dline. The problem is that Rivers can test the Rams safeties with a solid screen game. Im not too scared of Keenan Allen but Ryan Mathews and Eddie Royal could cause a mess of problems

Not sure if I can take the Raiders seriously.

I can see the Rams going 2-2.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you know Clayton the Rams are one of my darkhorse teams to do well this year. Honestly I am more worried about the game in St. Louis for the Broncos than I am for the game against San Fran in Denver. Manning's biggest weakness is pressure up the middle and of all the teams we play this year St. Louis has the best chance to actually do that to him. Our Center and Guards are going to have to play the game of their lives in that one.

You are right I expect the Chiefs to lose to you guys and for Alex Smith to have a long day. Only way I see that one going well for the Chiefs is if Charles can have a great game and say Bradford is playing and he has an off day.

Definitely looking forward to these games between our 2 divisions as it should give both a great idea of how they stack up.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still not completely sold on my Chargers just yet. Three things are problematic for us. One, our O line has been a patch work of wounded warriors, which leads to number two, our lack luster running game. Without these two things working consistently, Rivers is pretty much hamstringed. The third is our defense, specifically the secondary. I know we have added to excellent cover men, but we've been so bad for so long, I'll believe it when I see it. Realistically, I think we will go 2-2, as I don't think we are equipped to take down the Seahawks and Niners. We will have to play a nearly perfect game to take the Cardinals (my surprise team in the NFC). I think we will handle the Rams with little problem.

It seems you and I have a similar set of expectations for the Chargers this year. I actually have them building off of last year and improving to 11-5. They have issues at OL, but Rivers has the ability to mask that with his quick release, and between Allen and Royal there is some serious speed on that team. And I think the Chargers defense should be a little better too.

With that said, we seem to be on the same page regarding Chargers vs NFC West. I think the Seahawks and Niners handle them, the Cards could go either way (I have initially picked a Chargers win) and the Chargers are able to handle their business against the Rams. With that said, I'd delete the words "with little problem." The Rams are no pushover. They will be one of the better defenses the Chargers (and every other AFC West team) face in 2014. They've been inept and unlucky on offense the past couple seasons, but if they can get it together this year, they have the potential to do some damage both against the AFC West and NFC West alike.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Rams matchup really well with the Chiefs. The Rams have a great special teams unit to keep the Chiefs from getting special teams TDs and the Chiefs oline looks to be a trainwreck of sorts.

The Chargers matchup is a bit on an unknown but they generally matchup favorably with the Rams in every place but the Chargers oline vs the Rams dline. The problem is that Rivers can test the Rams safeties with a solid screen game. Im not too scared of Keenan Allen but Ryan Mathews and Eddie Royal could cause a mess of problems

I'm glad to see this thread brought in a few fans of other teams. Hopefully we get some voices for the Seahawks, Niners, and Cards as well as Raiders and Chiefs.

I think the Rams have a legitimate shot to beat the Chiefs, as do the Cards. But I don't think the Chiefs will get swept by the NFC West, and I certainly don't expect them to beat the Niners or Seahawks. I think the Chiefs are good enough to beat one or the other of the Cardinals or Rams. They get the Rams at home, so I am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt in that one. But who knows...

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just have to say... I would def be more worried about Allen before Royal.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just have to say... I would def be more worried about Allen before Royal.
Well, the whole passing and/or screen game is an issue. Woodhead will also be a problem. The Rams will have Gregg Williams as DC this year, though, so there might be some scheme improvements.

I actually think pretty highly of the Broncos and Chargers and I dont think much of the Chiefs and Raiders. I think the AFC West is a two team race.

I remember watching the preseason game last year between the Broncos and Rams. Peyton basically spent a half testing Janoris Jenkins and Alec Ogletree with a lot of success against Jenkins and poor results against Ogletree. I would expect him to attack the outsides as much as possible

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is good and bad in us playing the NFC West this year. The good is the Broncos get to really size themselves up against what looks like some of the better teams in the league. Last year other than a couple of games we really didn't have a lot of resistance towards us finishing near the top.

The second is I could see us and the NFC West really beating each other up as both groups want to play some major smash mouth football. At the same time I guess we really couldn't be much more hurt than we were last year. The only time I remember thinking about this many injuries is when we had like 7 RB's go down in one season back in I think 2008.

Honestly though I am looking forward to these games as I do think we will be even more playoff ready than we were the year before. The team doesn't have time to sulk on losing the Super Bowl as they have to focus on the games ahead.

Home field advantage is huge .... People talk about the advantage we have up here in Seattle but Denver also has a huge home field advantage as well... I do allot of hiking around the Pacific Northwest and we have allot of mountains surrounding the region... I"ll get as high as 9000 feet in some areas and let me tell you it's night and day trying to move around once you get over 5000 feet when your used to sea level... Heart rate get's high and you run outta breath easy... HUGE HUGE advantage for the Denver Broncos at mile high....Denver player are acclimatized to the elevation where opposing teams are not... That's gotta be the biggest advantage in the league for the Broncos because of that....

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The altitude definitely is a pretty good advantage. They have interviewed opposing players about it though and they have said it is blown out of proportion how much of an advantage that really is. Most teams have figured out at least for the altitude sickness part of it all to not come to Denver until within 24 hours of the game as that is about when it sets in. The air obviously being thin will cause players to struggle after a bit but even the Bronco players still use oxygen during the game. Obviously not as much with having adjusted but all players struggle some at altitude.

I will say it did provide a nice advantage against the Steelers when Ryan Clark could not play in Denver with his condition but there are not many players in the league with that problem.

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

more likely my lucky numbers of 9-5..there will be no such thing as losing to the Chiefs

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These two divisions should make for some fun games! It will be a dog fight in their respective divisions!

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These two divisions should make for some fun games! It will be a dog fight in their respective divisions!

I think the NFC West will be much more of a dogfight within itself than the AFC West. I see don't think the Broncos have the competition the Seahawks have. The 49ers, Cardinals and Rams are all three pretty stout teams. The Chargers were 9-7 last year and while I personally picked them to be improved and 11-5 this year, many expect them to be no better than last or even worse. The Chiefs were a great story last year but very much an 8-8 team with an 11-5 record. And as for the Raiders, I think their ROSTER is much improved, but who knows how that will translate on the field? They've had decent rosters in the past and finished 4-12 against easier schedules. Nothing is certain.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no question the NFC West has the physicality and toughness on both sides of the ball. We shall see if Denver and anybody else in the league for that matter, can match up to them. Going to be interesting to say the least. My thoughts are that only a few AFC teams might have shot besides Denver...New England, Pittsburgh, Colts and Cincy. The rest can just hope for a wild card spot and early exit.