• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFC playoff defenses

Skinnyfats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting topic came up on the NFL network about the AFC playoff defenses. The Bengals and Ravens are the only two teams with top 10 defenses in the playoffs for the AFC. Ravens are still on the fence if they are in or not. But if defenses win championships this might be a good time for the Bengals to make a run.

Buffalo has a top 10 defense hopefully will give the Patriots a hard time. Winning in Buffalo isn't a given and this time a year not an easy place to play.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New England and Miami are also top 10 in scoring defense.

UDFlyers90

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting topic came up on the NFL network about the AFC playoff defenses. The Bengals and Ravens are the only two teams with top 10 defenses in the playoffs for the AFC. Ravens are still on the fence if they are in or not. But if defenses win championships this might be a good time for the Bengals to make a run.

Buffalo has a top 10 defense hopefully will give the Patriots a hard time. Winning in Buffalo isn't a given and this time a year not an easy place to play.

Too bad the game is in Foxboro.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total defense is overrated. If opposing offenses consistently put up 1000 yards but get shutout, the defense is doing it's job.

augustisback003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Total defense is overrated. If opposing offenses consistently put up 1000 yards but get shutout, the defense is doing it's job.

That's absolute BS! Any team that gives up a ton of yards usually gives up a ton of points too. Dallas, Vikings, Eagles, Bears and Falcons are the worst 5 defenses in the League and its no coincidence that they're also giving up the most points. Yards and points go hand in hand so I don't see how you can possibly say that Total Defense is overrated?

Skinnyfats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In your fantasy land defenses have always been measured in total defense. That is why it was a topic on the NFL network.

Skinnyfats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's absolute BS! Any team that gives up a ton of yards usually gives up a ton of points too. Dallas, Vikings, Eagles, Bears and Falcons are the worst 5 defenses in the League and its no coincidence that they're also giving up the most points. Yards and points go hand in hand so I don't see how you can possibly say that Total Defense is overrated?

Because he is trying to downplay the fact that the Bengals have the top defense left on the AFC side of the house that is going to the playoffs.

Only wildcard in this whole thing is if Dalton can handle the pressure. In years past he crumbles like a potato chip in the playoffs.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are teams that give up yards but not points. I provided that the more useful defensive evaluation is scoring defense, which has 4 AFC playoff contenders in the top 10, two of who, aren't in total defense. Since the job of a defense is to keep points off the board, surely that is how they should be measured?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he is trying to downplay the fact that the Bengals have the top defense left on the AFC side of the house that is going to the playoffs.

Only wildcard in this whole thing is if Dalton can handle the pressure. In years past he crumbles like a potato chip in the playoffs.

I'm not trying to downplay anything. I'm stating the simple fact that, in the measurement that matters, there are four top ten teams among AFC playoff contenders, not two.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to downplay anything. I'm stating the simple fact that, in the measurement that matters, there are four top ten teams among AFC playoff contenders, not two.

No, you're distorting the truth to fit your lame ass argument. You're an idiot. Congratulations.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have great respect for NE's defense. They always stiffen up in the red zone. That's why they almost always give up less points than you would think for the yards they give up. To me one of the best measures of defensive efficiency is yards per point. The higher the number the better the defense. The Pats defense gives up a point for every 17.5 yards, which is above average in this league. The Bengals give up a point for every 16.2 yards, also above average. The average team is usually scoring a point for every 15 yards or so. So when you look at the Bengals vs Pats defenses, the Bengals are more likely to shut you down yardage wise, but the Pats make up ground in efficiency. Both teams have overcome multiple serious personnel losses and still maintained efficiency. So yes, I definitely consider the Pats defense a top ten group.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you're distorting the truth to fit your lame ass argument. You're an idiot. Congratulations.

The truth is that a defense's job is to keep points off the board.

Skinnyfats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again your opinion you are trying to force on others that don't share that opinion. That is not fact. This was a topic brought up on the NFL network that do this for a living not some armchair opinion man.

Write them a letter if you don't like that it was brought up the Bengals and Ravens are the only two top 10 AFC teams remaining in the playoff hunt.

JBUCK66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I want the 2 seed...then we'll see what's what

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some teams will switch personnel as they get closer to the goal line. So you can give up some yards without giving up many touchdowns, depending on who is healthy and who is on your team.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come playoff time it is hard to really know how a defense will or won't perform. The Broncos last year had a top-3 defense in just about every category possible yet come playoff time all of a sudden gave up 38 points to an average offense. While then the Indy defense was ranked in the bottom 3rd in 2006 yet when it came playoff time became one of the best defenses in the playoffs.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also easy to distort scoring defense, unless you have an adjusted scoring defense.

1st, returns for touchdowns factor into scoring defense (if I am not mistaken) yet the defense may never be on the field for these.

2nd, the offense could turn the ball over, or special teams give up a long return, to put the other offense in scoring position before the defense ever takes the field. It's un-realistic to expect the defense to give up 0 points everytime they have to start inside their own 30 yardline because of a play that happened when they were not on the field.

A great example would be when the steelers got the botched punt attempt 2 weeks ago on the 1 yard line. It's not realistic to expect the defense to hold and give up 0 points. Yes, at worst it would be 3 points, but I would bet the % favor a TD in that scenario.

So, yes, while it is the defenses job to keep the points off the board, there are many other factors that go into that. Unless of course, the scoring defense is an adjsuted stat, in which case, nothing I said matters....LOL

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scoring defense is the most important defensive stat. Period. If the opponant can't score, they don't win.

Scoring offense is the most important offensive stat. Period. If you outscore your opponant, they can't win.

This is why you see the PF and PA columns in with the standings.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scoring defense is the most important defensive stat. Period. If the opponant can't score, they don't win.

Scoring offense is the most important offensive stat. Period. If you outscore your opponant, they can't win.

This is why you see the PF and PA columns in with the standings.

can't agree 100%. I think you have to take everything into consideration. There are way too many variables that go into scoring for, and against, to say that only 1 stat is the superior stat.

As I pointed out in my last post, I don't think that the scoring defense average is 100% accurate because it does not take into consideration many mitigating factors such as returns for touchdowns, and where the opposing offense starts their drive off turnovers or returns.

Similarly, offenses can benefit from a return or turnover to pad their scoring stats, while not accumulating a lot of yards. It's a lot easier to score when you have the ball inside the 8 yard line as opposed to a 10-12 play drive starting at your own 20. You are almost certain to get 3 points at a minimum.

I'm sure somewhere out there is an adjusted stat...maybe PFF has one...where is Bengaldoug when you need him? :gaah: