• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Adam Schefter reports former 49er OC mike martz won't be back with the bears

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Report: Martz out in Chicago after the season | ProFootballTalk

The Bears could still make the playoffs. In theory, they could still win the Super Bowl. (Quit laughing, Packers fans; I said “in theory.”)

Regardless, the team will have a new offensive coordinator in 2012.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Bears are not expected to bring Martz back when his contract expires after the season.

Martz has been connected to vacancies at Arizona State and UCLA. Some have even speculated that Martz could draw interest from the Jaguars, given the ultra-superficial connection between Martz’s status as a former head coach of the Rams and new Jags owner Shahid Khan’s status as a former Rams season-ticket holder.

The Bears hired Martz after the 2010 season only after several other candidates passed. At the time, others presumably weren’t interested due to the perception/reality that the fate of the entire coaching staff hinged on the success of the offense. In 2012, it could be easier than it was the last time around to find someone to draw up the O’s.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There you go, get a guy who can finally get Cutler to play decent then get rid of him. I love their strategy.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Given what Martz was working with, I think he was doing a pretty decent job. Their receivers are bad, and their OL might be worse. Even so, his RB was having a pro bowl year and his QB was playing pretty well all things considered.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A problem with success and especially early success is people come to expect it of you like it's who you are. Martz took over the Rams as head coach and led them to some unreal offensive numbers for a few years. Those Ram teams become who Martz is and how he is remembered. The teams that hire him may not think it up front, but they expect the Rams offense of him.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hanie can't get the job done....lovie smith can always see if J. T. O'Sullivan is available

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanie can't get the job done....lovie smith can always see if J. T. O'Sullivan is available

Pretty sure if that guy wanted a job he would have signed with the Pack already.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
maybe it's been one of those days!! nothing is going right..

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The problem with Martz remains that he calls every offense like he's still running the 1999 Rams. Watching that game yesterday was unbelievable......the guy just has zero sense of dialing down the difficulty when he has lesser talent executing the gameplan. His offense is just too complicated and precise for guys like Caleb Haney.......or JT O'Sullivan, or Jon Kitna. He's a superb OC if he has superb tools to use, and frankly a dreadful OC if he has lesser talent.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
its just a rumor but Brett favre might be heading to chicago...

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is not a team in the league, GB included with their OL problems, that would succeed under a Martz reign based on what I saw with the Niners. In order for Martz to have success, they have to have:

1) An elite pass protecting OL
2) Elite route running WR
3) Elite speed WR
4) A dead on accurate QB
5) A QB with a quick trigger

Seems like wishful thinking to me....or the 1999 Rams. Either way.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is not a team in the league, GB included with their OL problems, that would succeed under a Martz reign based on what I saw with the Niners. In order for Martz to have success, they have to have:

1) An elite pass protecting OL
2) Elite route running WR
3) Elite speed WR
4) A dead on accurate QB
5) A QB with a quick trigger

Seems like wishful thinking to me....or the 1999 Rams. Either way.

What about the RB? Elite running/receiving RB can be added to that list to get that thing to go.