• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ACC suspends refs

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was trying to make it look unintentional and he succeeded...right up until they took a closer look

Exactly

:L You really think thats as hard as he could hit the guy? Why not get his moneys worth if he going to intentionally hit somebody? At least take him out the game like. How could anybody be stupid enough to do something that egregious for no reason whatsover and not even make it worth it?

Because if it was any more intentional than that OR a harder hit, he would be suspended for a game or 4.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly

Because if it was any more intentional than that OR a harder hit, he would be suspended for a game or 4.

Why hit somebody at all if it the only thing it accomplishes is a five yard penalty?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The video looks bad? You make it sound like it's been altered. Clearly intentional

It wasnt altered, it just doesnt show everything. I dont know how anybody can disagree...Based on that youtube video we have no idea when he turned around.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It wasnt altered, it just doesnt show everything. I dont know how anybody can disagree...Based on that youtube video we have no idea when he turned around.

It doesn't matter. Vernon did NOT move into his path and the UNC player leaned into Vernon with his shoulder. You are letting your bias mess with your reasoning just like that replay ref in our game. He had to have been paid or rooting for Clemson

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea i dont see how anyone could try and defend the unc player. that would be like one of the Hokie fans trying to say that Marcus Vick's stomping of elmis dumerville vs louisville in the bowl game was an accident.

This says it all. It was as blatant a cheap shot as there has been in recent years. Be it Marcus or Suh last year, stuff like that is uncalled for and has no place in the game.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter. Vernon did NOT move into his path and the UNC player leaned into Vernon with his shoulder. You are letting your bias mess with your reasoning just like that replay ref in our game. He had to have been paid or rooting for Clemson

I think it's your bias talking, fooz. I have to side with uncfan here, as much as I hate to. If you look at it objectively, there's no way to be sure but it is much easier to believe that was unintentional than otherwise. ACC is still right to suspend him, though.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it's your bias talking, fooz. I have to side with uncfan here, as much as I hate to. If you look at it objectively, there's no way to be sure but it is much easier to believe that was unintentional than otherwise. ACC is still right to suspend him, though.

Quit following me around troll. If I'm about to accidentally run into someone I don't lean in with my shoulder at the last second. That much is clear. Vernon moved back a very insignificant amount. The UNC player chose a path that was THROUGH Vernon.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not following you around. I'm reading and commenting on this board, just like you. I happen to speak up every once in a while when you say something particularly egregious. Especially, as in this case, to stand up for someone else. Don't want uncfan thinking we're all stupid and offensive...

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not following you around. I'm reading and commenting on this board, just like you. I happen to speak up every once in a while when you say something particularly egregious. Especially, as in this case, to stand up for someone else. Don't want uncfan thinking we're all stupid and offensive...

I don't want him thinking we're blind or UNC fans

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You really think Rashad's only path onto the field was up Vernon's spine?

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really think Rashad's only path onto the field was up Vernon's spine?

of course not. Did I say that? I think I said it deserved a suspension, actually... But that doesn't equate to being intentional. Nothing about the way he made contact screams intentional. Despite what others have intimated, he did NOT lower his shoulder into him like you would if you're trying to run through someone. It is also extremely hard to imagine that he would have done that intentionally there, in space, for everyone to see. It is a lot easier to believe this is a stupid freshman-in-a-hurry mistake, looking back at his coaches or down at his laces or something until it was too late to avoid him.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's amazing what different people see watching the same video. It looks plain as day to me that he lowered his shoulder into Vernon's back. Certainly not like he was avoiding contact. The ACC agrees.

Also, I don't agree with the continued notion that he was looking at the coaches on the sideline while his torso is running straight toward mid field. Look at the location of the coaches and his facemask pointed toward midfield before impact in frame relative to his motion. His head must have spun exorcist style counter-clockwise not to see Vernon. It's much more plausible to me that he was looking at the QB the whole time than the sideline (but our suppossed eye witness claims sideline).

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It is also extremely hard to imagine that he would have done that intentionally there, in space, for everyone to see.

Marcus Vick and Jeff Allen disagree. Brad Butler, Chris Paul, Gerald Henderson, and the whole Miami football team are also recent examples that you'll likely remember just in the ACC. The NFL has someone punch, kick, step on, or nut shot someone every year. Athletes are pretty dumb.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing what different people see watching the same video. It looks plain as day to me that he lowered his shoulder into Vernon's back. Certainly not like he was avoiding contact. The ACC agrees.

Also, I don't agree with the continued notion that he was looking at the coaches on the sideline while his torso is running straight toward mid field. Look at the location of the coaches and his facemask pointed toward midfield before impact in frame relative to his motion. His head must have spun exorcist style counter-clockwise not to see Vernon. It's much more plausible to me that he was looking at the QB the whole time than the sideline (but our suppossed eye witness claims sideline).

I was sitting at a distance, i have no idea when he really turned around...I have no idea when he turned around. I just said i would like to see the coaches film, because im sure that what the ACC was looking at when they suspended him (not an ESPN clip). Obviously he was turned facing the guy when he was on camera, but at that time he was three steps away and still a step behind Vernon and running full speed. But it definitely doesnt look to me like he lowered his shoulder.

Also, please dont think i speak for all UNC fans when i say this, because several of them think it was intentional. I just have never seen anything like this and think it would take an absolute moron to do this intentionally because
1. it guarantees a suspension
2. Its a penalty
3. It accomplishes nothing

I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me either, im just giving an opinion.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus Vick and Jeff Allen disagree. Brad Butler, Chris Paul, Gerald Henderson, and the whole Miami football team are also recent examples that you'll likely remember just in the ACC. The NFL has someone punch, kick, step on, or nut shot someone every year. Athletes are pretty dumb.

I havent seen the Jeff Allen thing. Marcus Vick was obviously intention, and it was vicious. He looked right at Dumervil and then stepped on him. The Shakeel Rashad hit wasnt vicious, he ran into him. Gerald Henderson i still think might have been unintentional. Chris Paul and Micanor Regis both tried to be "sneaky" with their hits (they didnt do it in open space). Rashad is almost similar to like a basketball player just running off the court in the middle of a free throw and accidently stepping on the foot of another guy, who was just getting to his spot on the block IMO.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I havent seen the Jeff Allen thing. Marcus Vick was obviously intention, and it was vicious. He looked right at Dumervil and then stepped on him. The Shakeel Rashad hit wasnt vicious, he ran into him. Gerald Henderson i still think might have been unintentional. Chris Paul and Micanor Regis both tried to be "sneaky" with their hits (they didnt do it in open space). Rashad is almost similar to like a basketball player just running off the court in the middle of a free throw and accidently stepping on the foot of another guy, who was just getting to his spot on the block IMO.

Jeff Allen used a broadsword to cut a ref in half.

[YOUTUBE]Peah-yY78a4[/YOUTUBE]

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound: That was stupid.

Are you kidding???

Someone (with an serious iron deficiency) could've been severely bruised! NO PLACE FOR SUCH STRONG NUDGING IN COLLEGE SPORTS!!!

EDIT - I would like us to put this topic to bed. This was one of the milder cheap shots I've ever seen. A PF call for 15 yards? Yes. A game suspension? Eh. And is Vernon on Duke's soccer team? If not, where did he learn the "oh-my-God-I-dying" roll-on-the-ground move?

Last edited by a moderator:

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you kidding???

Someone (with an serious iron deficiency) could've been severely bruised! NO PLACE FOR SUCH STRONG NUDGING IN COLLEGE SPORTS!!!

EDIT - I would like us to put this topic to bed. This was one of the milder cheap shots I've ever seen. A PF call for 15 yards? Yes. A game suspension? Eh. And is Vernon on Duke's soccer team? If not, where did he learn the "oh-my-God-I-dying" roll-on-the-ground move?

What about a 5 yard encroachment penalty? lol. And Vernon probably learned it from some basketball players.