• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ACC has more Big East schools than founding members

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well in Football it would be 6 and 6 since ND was never a member of the BigEast and is not a member of the ACC in that sport.

Just saying that since this is the football forum.

Only original member not in the ACC anymore is Maryland.

South Carolina was a founding member.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops got beat to it.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is probably good for the ACC.
Tobacco Road kept that league purposely small and regional for the longest time.

All these large Big East markets will want a higher profile.
There is no reason that the ACC Tournament should be stuck in some place like Greensboro 80% of the time.

That was always a sore spot for the Terps. Georgia Tech complained as well albeit to a lesser degree. They were always afraid as a newer member to make waves.

I suspect all the Big East schools will finally get that thing moved to a proper major city.
It is arguably the best college basketball tournament in existence. It is long overdue.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is probably good for the ACC.
Tobacco Road kept that league purposely small and regional for the longest time.

All these large Big East markets will want a higher profile.
There is no reason that the ACC Tournament should be stuck in some place like Greensboro 80% of the time.

That was always a sore spot for the Terps. Georgia Tech complained as well albeit to a lesser degree. They were always afraid as a newer member to make waves.

I suspect all the Big East schools will finally get that thing moved to a proper major city.
It is arguably the best college basketball tournament in existence. It is long overdue.

Part of the ACC Tournament being so good is it's intimacy with Greensboro. Maryland complained and the venue was moved to Landover to try out. GT complained and the venue was moved to Atlanta. But the crowds always showed up at Greensboro. The Big East teams aren't complaining and yet the announcement was made that the venue would go to NY in the near future. But the ACC's home office is Greensboro, but not a home turf for any one school. And a natural fit geographically which makes it a sell out event every year.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That thing should be played in NYC, place can be special and can also turn into a terror dome during a conference basketball tourney.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is ND an ACC FOOTBALL member? THat would be a big NO! That is how I qualified my statement about them NOT being an ACC team in that sport. Are they ACC members in "olympic sports"? Yes they are. ND is not a FULL MEMBER of the ACC. Just like they were not a FULL member of the Big East because their football team refused to join the conference due to the monetary loss they would take.

Notre Dame took yearly distributions from the Big East.

Even in the death throes of the Big East, Notre Dame took some of the cash reserves from the Big East.

Let's see now,

Notre Dame took Big East money.
Notre Dame has 126 Big East Championships.
You can buy Notre Dame Big East Championship memorabilia.

Oh look, the new ACC logo

ACC-NewLogo_WebGraphics_1002x584_Generic_t607.jpg

If it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, its a duck.

Notre Dame was in the Big East. Notre Dame is in the ACC.

Sure, not in football, but Notre Dame was in the Big East, and Notre Dame is in the ACC.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame took yearly distributions from the Big East.

Even in the death throes of the Big East, Notre Dame took some of the cash reserves from the Big East.

Let's see now,

Notre Dame took Big East money.
Notre Dame has 126 Big East Championships.
You can buy Notre Dame Big East Championship memorabilia.

Oh look, the new ACC logo

ACC-NewLogo_WebGraphics_1002x584_Generic_t607.jpg

If it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, its a duck.

Notre Dame was in the Big East. Notre Dame is in the ACC.

Sure, not in football, but Notre Dame was in the Big East, and Notre Dame is in the ACC.

All I have been saying is that they were not members in football. They would lose too much money to join in that sport. They got a sweet deal from the ACC for 5 games per year. I hope that the ACC redoes the TV contract to bring in ND in football. That would be great monetarily. But I do not see it happening any time soon. And yes I have seen the ACC's website with the added ND logo. Still not a member in the sport that brings in the dollars for the ACC.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame is a partial member of the ACC and always will be. The ACC basically bowed down to them, still don't get it from the ACC's perspective. I guess a partial part of ND is better than no ND at all.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame is a partial member of the ACC and always will be. The ACC basically bowed down to them, still don't get it from the ACC's perspective. I guess a partial part of ND is better than no ND at all.

The ACC was desperate, they were on the verge of being poached by the other 4 conferences and needed a life preserver and ND gave them one so in return ND could remain independent. IMO Notre Dame will never be a full member of the ACC, they are dangling that carrot the same way they dangled it for the Big East. Make no mistake about it, Notre Dame does what is best for Notre Dame and if the day ever comes when they are forced to join a conference then the ACC will get the same deal the BigEast got from them, "see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya" :bolt:to the highest paying conference.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a perfect world ACC takes WV. That sets up a great bunch of hate games. WV v Pitt. Backyard Brawl is back. WV v VT. Then make a play at Penn State. It would have resurrected Northeastern football. Also would have helped assuaged FSU and Clemson's fears of a basketball run league. I do not think either completely happy with the league. Let's call it more of an uncomfortable truce.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a perfect world ACC takes WV. That sets up a great bunch of hate games. WV v Pitt. Backyard Brawl is back. WV v VT. Then make a play at Penn State. It would have resurrected Northeastern football. Also would have helped assuaged FSU and Clemson's fears of a basketball run league. I do not think either completely happy with the league. Let's call it more of an uncomfortable truce.

Nah, we're happy where we're at. :nod:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, we're happy where we're at. :nod:

I am a traditionalist. Do not take any offense. I miss some of the old games. It is a shame Pitt, WV, and PSU don't play every year.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gives a fuck?

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a traditionalist. Do not take any offense. I miss some of the old games. It is a shame Pitt, WV, and PSU don't play every year.

I hear ya. We Mounties occasionally miss sPitt and VPI.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No fears. Actual truth to the bold. It is a basketball league and until the Tobacco Road ass wipes figure out how to use this sport it will always take a back seat to bball. The addition of Louisville and Pitt only enforces the basketball league.

You are correct though the boosters and board at FSU are not happy with staying in the ACC, but you know they have to put on a smile so as not to piss off the TR douches.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Paterno tried that very thing back in the day, tried to get PSU into the BigEast and.... No, they were basketball centric too and turned him down :L. I agree, it would have been a fantastic move.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paterno tried that very thing back in the day, tried to get PSU into the BigEast and.... No, they were basketball centric too and turned him down :L. I agree, it would have been a fantastic move.

True, and now the ACC is so basketball centric too and we don't fit in with Tobacco Road.

In a perfect world:
Boston College, Syracuse, PSU, sPitt, WVU, VPI, Rutgers, Clemson, FSU and Miami would join there own league and call it Eastern Football (like Paterno wanted to). But that can't/won't happen now.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, and now the ACC is so basketball centric too and we don't fit in with Tobacco Road.

In a perfect world:
Boston College, Syracuse, PSU, sPitt, WVU, VPI, Rutgers, Clemson, FSU and Miami would join there own league and call it Eastern Football (like Paterno wanted to). But that can't/won't happen now.

Not a bad league but add UCONN and Ga Tech to take it to 12. The ACC would wither and die because the football quality would be horrendous in fact I wouldn't be surprised if North Carolina and Duke jumped to the SEC at that point.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tobacco Road will never relinquish its basketball stronghold on the league.
Adding Syracuse and Louisville only makes things worse.

I don't think there is enough football schools to push for a football identity.
Until Notre Dame joins. It will never change.

West Virginia doesn't want to be part of a basketball first league.
They would love to play Pitt, Va Tech, and PSU.....but they are firmly a football school.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Virginia doesn't want to be part of a basketball first league.
They would love to play Pitt, Va Tech, and PSU.....but they are firmly a football school.

Exactly right, the only drawback to being in the B12 is the geography as far as WVU is concerned, and its really not THAT big of a deal when you think of Colorado functioning in the conference.

Real shame FSU, Clemson, VT, and either Miami or GT couldn't have been added or maybe both of the last two along with ND for 16 teams. One would think the 1st tier money alone would have been enough to draw them in not to mention the T3 advantages for those brands.