• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ACC Basketball Thread

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "former Big East" teams are looking great, especially Cuse and Pitt.

Jonvi is correct. Cuse, Pitt, ND and Louisville should have been in this conference years ago. I'm pissed that we let WVU get away. Oh well.

pitt has a great record....but let's slow down on saying they look great. they haven't played anybody yet and, at least IMO, that hasn't changed after they played NC State today

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
truth, any big east fan knows that no matter who is paying on that ND team you are unlikely to get a win when you go there. Not surprised at all that Duke lost, considering this was LITERALLY their first true road game of the season.

I wasn't surprised that Duke lost either. I was surprised that Jabari Parker was off his game. Quite a bit of that was the tall front line that Notre Dame thew at the Devils. Hood had a great game except for the final play which they still had a chance to win the game. But Duke's issues have to do with no size or inside threat. Teams who have big front lines like ND cause them problems.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't surprised that Duke lost either. I was surprised that Jabari Parker was off his game. Quite a bit of that was the tall front line that Notre Dame thew at the Devils. Hood had a great game except for the final play which they still had a chance to win the game. But Duke's issues have to do with no size or inside threat. Teams who have big front lines like ND cause them problems.

correct. Arizona showed that at MSG as well. Probably parker's second worst game of the year behind this one.

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Duke's issues have to do with no size or inside threat
I think you're 100% correct with that analysis douggie. Seems odd for Duke to not have dominating size....that's usually a given for a Coach K team.

Last edited by a moderator:

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "former Big East" teams are looking great, especially Cuse and Pitt.

Jonvi is correct. Cuse, Pitt, ND and Louisville should have been in this conference years ago. I'm pissed that we let WVU get away. Oh well.

cant blame the ACC on that one ==> no one saw the UMD move coming. however the ACC did fuck up big time by not realizing that that school was a flight risk. the ACC wasnt willing to add a shitty academic school at the time. if the ACC was forced to add an academic school they clearly would of preferred it be WVU.

I think about 5-6 years ago the academic outlier issue & demographic shift that was starting to affect maryland should of sent clear warning signs to the ACC admins that they were in danger of losing the terps.

on a side note there is a theory proposed by several conf. realignment bloggers who believe that an anti-wvu stigma exists within the ACC.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cant blame the ACC on that one ==> no one saw the UMD move coming. however the ACC did fuck up big time by not realizing that that school was a flight risk. the ACC wasnt willing to add a shitty academic school at the time. if the ACC was forced to add an academic school they clearly would of preferred it be WVU.

I think about 5-6 years ago the academic outlier issue & demographic shift that was starting to affect maryland should of sent clear warning signs to the ACC admins that they were in danger of losing the terps.

on a side note there is a theory proposed by several conf. realignment bloggers who believe that an anti-wvu stigma exists within the ACC.

Actually John Swofford did think that we might lose 2 teams, just not sure which two. That's why we expanded to 14, so that if we did lose 2 we would still have a conference championship game without having to add anybody else.

Getting Notre Dame was something that the ACC considered a very long shot. Swofford deserves congrats all around for making that deal happen. I still can hardly believe he pulled it off. The only reason ND went for it is to gain access to our bowl games, I'm sure. Otherwise they would have had to sign a deal with whatever low echelon bowl game would sign them. The deal they had with the Gator and Sun Bowls was no longer an option for them.

Personally, I think trading Maryland for Louisville was a good thing, though I understand we lost the Md. TV market. So what? If we decide we need it later we can always invite Navy in. They play some of our teams most years anyway, not to mention ND. VT and Pitt will help cover a lot of that market, too.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually John Swofford did think that we might lose 2 teams, just not sure which two. That's why we expanded to 14, so that if we did lose 2 we would still have a conference championship game without having to add anybody else.

Getting Notre Dame was something that the ACC considered a very long shot. Swofford deserves congrats all around for making that deal happen. I still can hardly believe he pulled it off. The only reason ND went for it is to gain access to our bowl games, I'm sure. Otherwise they would have had to sign a deal with whatever low echelon bowl game would sign them. The deal they had with the Gator and Sun Bowls was no longer an option for them.

Personally, I think trading Maryland for Louisville was a good thing, though I understand we lost the Md. TV market. So what? If we decide we need it later we can always invite Navy in. They play some of our teams most years anyway, not to mention ND. VT and Pitt will help cover a lot of that market, too.

i dont think you can say trading UMD for LV is a good thing. anytime you trade a flagship landgrant aau school with good solid all around sports and replace it with a clearly inferior school ==> thats not a good trade.

we dont know how louisville will react to the ACC competition. TCU/wvu got crushed in an upgraded conference, while texas a&m/mizz elevated themselves. what we do know is that LV will join without their coach and without bridgewater.

i think swofford realizes that at any time he can lose the southern acc schools to the sec. but I think he (and the rest of the acc) got totally blindsided with maryland.

is the ACC stronger today without maryland & with louisville?
personally it might of been a good thing in the sense that it was a major wake up call for the conference to get their act together. right after the UMD move the ACC leadership has clearly changed where they now make moves with an emphasis on maintaining conference stability.

but the one thing remains: if the ACC had the choice to vote on their 14th member to be maryland, wvu or louisville. everyone would vote for UMD. if UMD was off the table everyone would vote for WVU.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i dont thin swofford added 2 thinking he was going to lose 2, but he saw that the SEC was starting to move in the direction of 14 and that he better do the same

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think you can say trading UMD for LV is a good thing. anytime you trade a flagship landgrant aau school with good solid all around sports and replace it with a clearly inferior school ==> thats not a good trade.

we dont know how louisville will react to the ACC competition. TCU/wvu got crushed in an upgraded conference, while texas a&m/mizz elevated themselves. what we do know is that LV will join without their coach and without bridgewater.

i think swofford realizes that at any time he can lose the southern acc schools to the sec. but I think he (and the rest of the acc) got totally blindsided with maryland.

is the ACC stronger today without maryland & with louisville?
personally it might of been a good thing in the sense that it was a major wake up call for the conference to get their act together. right after the UMD move the ACC leadership has clearly changed where they now make moves with an emphasis on maintaining conference stability.

but the one thing remains: if the ACC had the choice to vote on their 14th member to be maryland, wvu or louisville. everyone would vote for UMD. if UMD was off the table everyone would vote for WVU.

Well, I did say that I personally prefer Louisville over Maryland. I'm sure that most ACC fans do not.

Louisville does haul in more money with their BB program than all but 20 football schools do, though. So they can and will pull their own weight.

You may have a point now that UL has lost Charlie Strong. They may be down for a while until they can adequately replace him. That was a huge loss to UL, not even mentioning the departure of Bridgewater as well.

I doubt very seriously we are going to lose any more schools for a very long time now that we have all signed our TV rights away to the conference like the Big 12 teams have done. So poaching the ACC will have to wait until that deal is over just like with the Big 12.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i dont thin swofford added 2 thinking he was going to lose 2, but he saw that the SEC was starting to move in the direction of 14 and that he better do the same

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. We figured we'd most likely lose 2. The ACC does not do things just because the SEC does it. We stayed at 9 teams for a long time after the SEC expanded to 12.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. We figured we'd most likely lose 2. The ACC does not do things just because the SEC does it. We stayed at 9 teams for a long time after the SEC expanded to 12.

i think it was a extremely visionary move on swoffords part. you cant just roll over & stay at 12 teams when everyone else is talking rapid expansion.

what happened in the 90s & 2003 has no bearing on 2011 because this round of conf. realignment was totally different

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it was a extremely visionary move on swoffords part. you cant just roll over & stay at 12 teams when everyone else is talking rapid expansion.

what happened in the 90s & 2003 has no bearing on 2011 because this round of conf. realignment was totally different

However you want to look at it, getting Pitt, Syracuse and ND (sort of) means we cleaned up. UL is just icing on the cake. We can always make up for the lost Md. market in other ways. Like I said, if we want, we can just invite Navy if we feel it's necessary.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However you want to look at it, getting Pitt, Syracuse and ND (sort of) means we cleaned up. UL is just icing on the cake. We can always make up for the lost Md. market in other ways. Like I said, if we want, we can just invite Navy if we feel it's necessary.

navy is not UMD at all.

athletics, markets, & academics, theres simply no way you can replace UMD with navy

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
navy is not UMD at all.

athletics, markets, & academics, theres simply no way you can replace UMD with navy

I wouldn't say that. Surely you don't think Md. has a larger fanbase than Navy?

But we've got Maryland pretty much covered, anyway with VT and Pitt.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say that. Surely you don't think Md. has a larger fanbase than Navy?

But we've got Maryland pretty much covered, anyway with VT and Pitt.

its all about static vs unstatic fanbases. marylands fanbase may not look good on paper now, but what that school doesis force every bar in the state of MD to get the ACC network. when maryland becomes competitive their fanbase grows, when the same happens w/ navy their fanbase doesnt grow because they are a military academy.

whats the point of having a large fanbase to a tv exec when they are spread out from cali to NY. tv execs prefer condensed fanbases.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats a conversation for tourny time

Yup.. ACC did get WAY better with their recent additions.. I actually think the Big 10 will improve if Maryland ever gets their act together..

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its all about static vs unstatic fanbases. marylands fanbase may not look good on paper now, but what that school doesis force every bar in the state of MD to get the ACC network. when maryland becomes competitive their fanbase grows, when the same happens w/ navy their fanbase doesnt grow because they are a military academy.

whats the point of having a large fanbase to a tv exec when they are spread out from cali to NY. tv execs prefer condensed fanbases.

Look, I really couldn't care less about losing Maryland. Anybody else that wants out can get out, too, if that's what they want. The ACC is big time and if you don't want to be a part of it, then get out already!

Meanwhile we've got the current football National champions and the current BB champions are set to join next year. We're better than we've ever been. We don't need Maryland.