• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aaron Murray = Over-Rated QB

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not meaning to pick on UGA, but it just seems that UGA fans are fine with failure. I live in the middle of UGA territory, and it seems like none of them remembered that SCAR has beaten them 3 years in a row, and lost by 4 TD's to them last season. They take great satisfaction in losing a game because they "almost" beat Alabama in the SEC title game. I just don't see why so many UGA fans brag about their team so often. I'm not sure there is anyone who is considered a major program that has only won their conference 2 times in the past 30 years. I know the SEC is tough, but twice in 30 years? I'm not sure I would be talking too much trash to Florida at this point. Perhaps things will change this year. They certainly have the talent to win it all, but hasn't that been the case for the past 5-6 years?

I can only speak for myself, but I'll give you my thoughts.

The concept of "failure" depends on your definition of the word as it applies to college football. If failure means you don't win the NC, then more than 99% of all teams fail each year. I think that is a narrow definition of failure. It would mean, for example, that since 1948 Michigan has failed in all but one year, 1997, and that was a split title. So, I am guessing you aren't going to say that you fail if you don't win the NC.

If you look at winning games, you have look at the win percentage. From 1980 - 2012, UGa is 9th in winning percentage. Guess who is 8th. Yes, that would be Michigan who has won a big 3 more games than UGa over that 33 year span in time.

So, you focus on conference champions. But, all conferences aren't equal. Here is what the SEC looks like during that time period:

UF - 8
Bama - 6
LSU - 6
UGa - 5
Auburn - 5
UT - 5

Here is what the B1G looks like (you have far more ties than the SEC which adds to the totals):

UM - 12
OSU - 12
Wisc - 6
Iowa - 5
NW - 3
MSU - 3
Ill - 3
PSU - 1
Purdue - 1

The SEC doesn't have the disparity at the top like the B1G does. Not sure how to interpret that, but if you don't think UGa is a major program due to conference championships, then you have to eliminate a lot of other teams on those lists. Kind of makes you wonder what UM's numbers would be if they were in the SEC, and vice versa for UGa.

As for the UGa v. USCe, I don't get your point. They beat us 3 times in a row and it sucks. I don't know a Dawg that doesn't hate that. What would you have us do. Walk around miserable our entire life? Prior to them winning 3 in a row, we won 7 out of 8, with a 5 game winning streak at one point. It happens. Life goes one, and we intend on kicking their sorry asses this year, like we've done in the past.

As for the Alabama game, are you kidding? ESPN just named it the no. 1 college football game last year. It was an awesome game that could have gone either way. A tipped pass on an awesome defensive play as time ran out kept us 5 yards short of curb stomping Notre Dame. Did we want to win ... hell, yes. Did we like losing, hell no. But, what would you have us do ... mope around all winter? Hell, no, I celebrate an awesome game and effort by my team. I learned a long time ago that life is lot more than college football. I love my Dawgs, but what the Dawgs to on a given day doesn't rule my attitude about life. I am proud of their play in that game, and I can't tell you how many people I know who aren't UGa/Bama/SEC fans tell me what a great game it was. I would rather have won, of course, but glad to have been in it.

Why wouldn't we brag about our team? Let's just use the Richt era (2001-2012). During that time we have the 6th most winning AQ team in the country. We've won 2 SEC championships and played for 3 more. We've finished ranked in the top 10 over half that time. A few breaks here and there, and we might have won an NC. How many other teams can write what I just wrote? Not many. Other than winning an NC (only happens for a few, as a Michigan fan should know), what more could you want? If Dawg fans are supposed to be down and out, I can't imagine what a Michigan fan feels like during the last decade. Do we need to hide sharp objects from you?

Do you consider Michigan a major team? You haven't won an outright NC since 1948, and your current level of play is mediocre at best. Yet, I, and I am guessing most people here, see Michigan as a major program. Loosen up and give credit where credit is due.

Finally, as for talking trash about UF, do any Michigan fans talk trash about OSU? What's that ... 8 out of 9 you've lost. Trust me, I feel your pain. We've been UF's bitch for far longer than I want to admit. But, it wasn't always so, it won't always be, and it really doesn't matter because we will always talk trash to the Gators. College football life wouldn't be complete without it.

Hope that helps you understand the Dawg outlook of at least this one rabid Dawg fan.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't spike ball with 15 seconds left with 1st and goal and SEC and NC on the line=dumbass
Blabbers about continuation play being the ticket post-game=dumbass
Zero natty's=dumbass
His choice of uniform color is an important key to a game=dumbass
Can't keep elite Georgia talent in-state=dumbass
Can't coach up the ones he manages to keep=dumbass
NFL talent thru and thru on D last year and they still sucked=dumbass
4-11 the past 3 years vs ranked teams with all that talent=dumbass
More than his share of disciplinaries=dumbass
A Mark Right Dream Team=LMAO@ this dumbass
Says Georgia being the most penalized team in the SEC is no big deal=dumbass

I just call-em like I see it. I hope Richt stays around a long time.

Well, there you have it ... you've proven who the true troll and dumbass is.

[x] Twit filter - Bambino

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not meaning to pick on UGA, but it just seems that UGA fans are fine with failure. I live in the middle of UGA territory, and it seems like none of them remembered that SCAR has beaten them 3 years in a row, and lost by 4 TD's to them last season. They take great satisfaction in losing a game because they "almost" beat Alabama in the SEC title game. I just don't see why so many UGA fans brag about their team so often. I'm not sure there is anyone who is considered a major program that has only won their conference 2 times in the past 30 years. I know the SEC is tough, but twice in 30 years? I'm not sure I would be talking too much trash to Florida at this point. Perhaps things will change this year. They certainly have the talent to win it all, but hasn't that been the case for the past 5-6 years?

I quoted this just to put it on another page. :suds:

:laugh3::laugh3:

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody acknowledges the other guys. It's always on the QB. He played like shit but still was the winning qb. That is what this thread was about, and I simply stated a fact. He was the game winning qb against UF the last 2 yrs

And I can easily say "UGA isn't the same team they were those years Spurrier, Meyer and co. was coaching" UF either

Well duh UF was a big game. What the hell else is bigger than that? Whoever wins that goes to the SEC CG(basically the NCG)

I agree. UGA is always a big game in my opinion. Doesn’t matter if we are on a big winning streak and haven’t lost that game in a while, it’s still a very significant game every year. Period. Same as FSU, Tennessee and LSU in my book. To say any of these rival teams don’t look forward to playing each other every year and that it’s not a “big game” every year isn’t realistic. These are, for the most part, border wars and wars among kids that grew up together, played on the same HS teams etc. You’re damned skippy that it’s an important game!

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Learn some football Dudley. AJ was 20/28 for 264 yds and 4 TD's vs Notre Dame. He led the nation in passing efficiency.

Sorry....Dudley...you apparently missed a good game. Anyone can go 20/28 when everyone is up on the line trying to stop Yeldon and Lacey. Those backs and that offensive line was too much for the Irish...just ask any Irish fan and maybe you will understand why everyone was sooooooo open. The Bama Guards went through their assignment and took out Teo all game long. The game was effectively over in the 1st quarter, when it became obvious that ND could not stop the run. You need to reread my post. I stated BOTH will be in the NFL next year and BOTH will do just fine. McCarran is an outstanding player that fits nicely into Saben's game plan. Murray simply has to do more because Georgia simply does not have the horsepower to stay with Bama. Did a good job in the SEC title game, however, IMO, if that game is played 10 times, Bama wins all of them. That said, I really like Bridgewater and think he goes NR 1 when its his turn. Boyd is another one who will be good. Both tough guys that can run and throw. I look for McCarran and Murray to both have an excellent season this year and again with Murray with more running and passing yards because he HAS TO DO MORE for his team to be effective. Also whatever SEC team gets into the NC game will win again. Only team out there is Oregon who has a chance to be really good....defense, as always is a question.

andyham7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
P L E A S E!

Murray over rated? I know why or I think I know why Mettenberger is there, BUT COMON!

A note on Mettenberger dont be surprised if you see his name on another list next, like MOST IMPROVED, or QB with MOST RADICAL CHANGES FOR THE BETTER. Seriously, he now has a QB coach and a REAL OFF CO. Thats gonna help, in case you dont know. He has had 3 different ones over last 3 years. Last season he had made great strides for turning it around, not to mention his O Line was all Frosh players that had just gotten on the field against S CAROLINA for the 1st time, which was approx. MID SEASON. Of course THAT LINE RAN RIGHT AT CLOWNEY and DOMINATED HIM and the GAME!

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry....Dudley...you apparently missed a good game. Anyone can go 20/28 when everyone is up on the line trying to stop Yeldon and Lacey. Those backs and that offensive line was too much for the Irish...just ask any Irish fan and maybe you will understand why everyone was sooooooo open. The Bama Guards went through their assignment and took out Teo all game long. The game was effectively over in the 1st quarter, when it became obvious that ND could not stop the run. You need to reread my post. I stated BOTH will be in the NFL next year and BOTH will do just fine. McCarran is an outstanding player that fits nicely into Saben's game plan. Murray simply has to do more because Georgia simply does not have the horsepower to stay with Bama. Did a good job in the SEC title game, however, IMO, if that game is played 10 times, Bama wins all of them. That said, I really like Bridgewater and think he goes NR 1 when its his turn. Boyd is another one who will be good. Both tough guys that can run and throw. I look for McCarran and Murray to both have an excellent season this year and again with Murray with more running and passing yards because he HAS TO DO MORE for his team to be effective. Also whatever SEC team gets into the NC game will win again. Only team out there is Oregon who has a chance to be really good....defense, as always is a question.

Still waiting on you Dudley. You said you could make an argument that AJ was overrated and all he did was hand off vs ND. I disproved your 2nd talking point. Let's hear the one for AJ is overrated.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
P L E A S E!

Murray over rated? I know why or I think I know why Mettenberger is there, BUT COMON!

A note on Mettenberger dont be surprised if you see his name on another list next, like MOST IMPROVED, or QB with MOST RADICAL CHANGES FOR THE BETTER. Seriously, he now has a QB coach and a REAL OFF CO. Thats gonna help, in case you dont know. He has had 3 different ones over last 3 years. Last season he had made great strides for turning it around, not to mention his O Line was all Frosh players that had just gotten on the field against S CAROLINA for the 1st time, which was approx. MID SEASON. Of course THAT LINE RAN RIGHT AT CLOWNEY and DOMINATED HIM and the GAME!

Leslie must put it to a vote every year to see who the players like at OC. Hope they chose wisely.

andyham7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leslie must put it to a vote every year to see who the players like at OC. Hope they chose wisely.
No, thats not what Les does. Its not what he did with chavis at D co anyway!
The first O Co Mett. had was at UGA.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan has been pretty bad for much of the pad 6-8 years, so you won't get an argument from me when comparing UGA to Michigan. But the post I was responding to was someone talking trash to a Florida fan. I was simply responding to that, so feel free to change the discussion to B1G vs SEC (or any conference for that matter).

As for the UGa v. USCe, I don't get your point. They beat us 3 times in a row and it sucks. I don't know a Dawg that doesn't hate that. What would you have us do. Walk around miserable our entire life? Prior to them winning 3 in a row, we won 7 out of 8, with a 5 game winning streak at one point. It happens. Life goes one, and we intend on kicking their sorry asses this year, like we've done in the past.

It seems to happen to UGA quite often. Florida was the team that took UGA out of title contention before SCAR.

As for the Alabama game, are you kidding? ESPN just named it the no. 1 college football game last year. It was an awesome game that could have gone either way. A tipped pass on an awesome defensive play as time ran out kept us 5 yards short of curb stomping Notre Dame. Did we want to win ... hell, yes. Did we like losing, hell no. But, what would you have us do ... mope around all winter? Hell, no, I celebrate an awesome game and effort by my team. I learned a long time ago that life is lot more than college football. I love my Dawgs, but what the Dawgs to on a given day doesn't rule my attitude about life. I am proud of their play in that game, and I can't tell you how many people I know who aren't UGa/Bama/SEC fans tell me what a great game it was. I would rather have won, of course, but glad to have been in it.

I can respect that. I just can't understand how UGA fans called that game the "real national championship game". It wasn't. It was a close loss, and that is pretty much all it is worth to anyone outside of Georgia. Great game though.

Why wouldn't we brag about our team? Let's just use the Richt era (2001-2012). During that time we have the 6th most winning AQ team in the country. We've won 2 SEC championships and played for 3 more. We've finished ranked in the top 10 over half that time. A few breaks here and there, and we might have won an NC. How many other teams can write what I just wrote? Not many. Other than winning an NC (only happens for a few, as a Michigan fan should know), what more could you want? If Dawg fans are supposed to be down and out, I can't imagine what a Michigan fan feels like during the last decade. Do we need to hide sharp objects from you?

Its been bad in Michigan, no doubt. But I'm not sure i would brag about an 8-16 record that UGA has against ranked teams since 2008. (When I moved to Georgia) With all the talent you've had, I think that record should be much better. Just my opinion.

Do you consider Michigan a major team? You haven't won an outright NC since 1948, and your current level of play is mediocre at best. Yet, I, and I am guessing most people here, see Michigan as a major program. Loosen up and give credit where credit is due.

I guess if you only measure by NC's over the past 30-40 years we both suck, but I like our trophy case compared to UGA's over the past 30 years.

Finally, as for talking trash about UF, do any Michigan fans talk trash about OSU? What's that ... 8 out of 9 you've lost. Trust me, I feel your pain. We've been UF's bitch for far longer than I want to admit. But, it wasn't always so, it won't always be, and it really doesn't matter because we will always talk trash to the Gators. College football life wouldn't be complete without it.

You have permission to criticize any Michigan fan who talks trash to OSU fans, like I did to a UGA fan talking trash to a UF fan.

Hope that helps you understand the Dawg outlook of at least this one rabid Dawg fan.

It does. Thanks for the response! :)

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can respect that. I just can't understand how UGA fans called that game the "real national championship game". It wasn't. It was a close loss, and that is pretty much all it is worth to anyone outside of Georgia. Great game though.

It does. Thanks for the response! :)

I think we can agree that the winner of Bama v. UGa was going to the NC. In that case, the reason many people, not just UGa fans, were saying it was the NC game was because of the way that Bama manhandled ND. It's the transitive property of inequality argument that UGa played Bama really tough, and ND got curb stomped, therefore UGa would have curb stomped ND.

1. Personally, I don't believe in the transitive property of inequality arguments in college football ... just because A beats B and B beats C, doesn't mean that A beats C. I think most people agree with that.

2. However, when A plays B close and tough, and B crushes C, it raises the question as to what might actually have happened if A played C. Had ND given even a decent fight you wouldn't hear anything like that ... it's just that ND stunk so bad that one might think that UGa (not to mention a half dozen other teams) could have had their way with ND. Still, in our system, they didn't get there, so it doesn't matter.

3. It's college frickin' football, so fans of teams are going to say some outrageously fun things to piss off other college football fans. And, can you imagine anything more fun that to poke ND fans in the eye? Didn't think so! :laugh3:

Back at you on the response.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Learn some football Dudley. AJ was 20/28 for 264 yds and 4 TD's vs Notre Dame. He led the nation in passing efficiency.

Still waiting on you Dudley. You said you could make an argument that AJ was overrated and all he did was hand off vs ND. I disproved your 2nd talking point. Let's hear the one for AJ is overrated.

I see reading comprehension and civil discourse are two of your problems. I never stated that AJ McCarran was over rated. I did state that the dominant running attack overpowered the Irish and they were forced into putting more personnel on the line which gave AJ a much easier task of completing passes to wide open receivers. McCarran has some weaknesses that are difficult to exploit because he plays on a very dominant football team. Of the two, I suspect I would take Murray because he throws the ball as well as McCarran and has a better ability to avoid the pass rush and runs better, IMO.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont even get this thread. All Murray does is put up numbers consistently and he has done so behind some dreadful OLs. Kid is goign to break SEC records and he is barely mentioned as one of the best QBs in the nation. This whole thread is stupid

I disagree. I'll ignore the poor grammar and try to address the issue.

While Murray is unquestionably a fine QB, the fact is that he has not delivered in the clutch. The only time I saw him in person, my team sacked him 6 or 7 times, intercepted him 2 or 3 times, and watched him spend the rest of the time mostly running for his life in a game in which Boise dominated. His record in big games is not that stellar. The only teams he seems be able to beat consistently are Florida, the lower end SEC schools, and rent-mule teams.

Year after year, Georgia gets top end recruiting classes, but they never quite live up to the hype. Murray always seem one peg away from the top notch in my view. I wouldn't call that being overrated, but he's certainly not quite the QB that the numbers would suggest. Time will tell.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While Murray is unquestionably a fine QB, the fact is that he has not delivered in the clutch. The only time I saw him in person, my team sacked him 6 or 7 times, intercepted him 2 or 3 times, and watched him spend the rest of the time mostly running for his life in a game in which Boise dominated. His record in big games is not that stellar. The only teams he seems be able to beat consistently are Florida, the lower end SEC schools, and rent-mule teams.

Year after year, Georgia gets top end recruiting classes, but they never quite live up to the hype. Murray always seem one peg away from the top notch in my view. I wouldn't call that being overrated, but he's certainly not quite the QB that the numbers would suggest. Time will tell.

This is even stupid by smiles standards. Look at what I have bolded above. Are you so stupid as to say he didn't deliver in the clutch, yet he was running for his life all night? Perhaps as others have pointed out, including the post you responded to ... perhaps Murray would do better with a better O Line? Switch Murray and McCarron ... what do you think his record would be against the better competition? That's what I thought.

:L

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love it. You can't even take a look at his body of work you just look at the final score and say "lol Murray sucks". UGA wins and loses games as a team, you have to look past the final score to see isn't pulling their weight. Let me guess, it was Murray's fault we lost to Alabama not the defense giving up 350 rushing yards.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love it. You can't even take a look at his body of work you just look at the final score and say "lol Murray sucks". UGA wins and loses games as a team, you have to look past the final score to see isn't pulling their weight. Let me guess, it was Murray's fault we lost to Alabama not the defense giving up 350 rushing yards.

Murray couldn't tackle Lacy fer shit that game.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how you good folks can't read. I just said that Murray is a fine QB, did you miss that? I just pointed out that in those big games, Murray was failed by those around him. Did you miss that? I just said that time will tell as to how good he really is. Did you miss that? Facts are facts. Georgia has won a lot of games, mostly against inferior competition, but they haven't won in the clutch. They've made it to the SEC Championship game, including in the year in which I saw Murray fail against my team, a team that you folks seem to love finding fault with. Now, we can argue all night as to whether this was his fault, the coach's fault, the team's fault, or maybe the fact that Georgia sucks when playing in the Georgia Dome in front of 80,000 home fans. Or maybe a combination of all of these, who am I to say? All I know is this, the best deliver when all the chips are on the table. Murray hasn't.

So, tell me, which of those things are incorrect?

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I could read, I think I missed that last post.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I could read, I think I missed that last post.

some peeps need to learn how to make their points in less than 150 words...

and spacing.....

is your friend.