• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Question

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been interesting you guys so thanks.

I take this craziness away from it thanks to one of steeler's links. Nobody bothered to trapse 30 ft back into the puckers to see if the tree had broken cleanly off at which point it would indeed be a loose impediment. Then, because of this rule from that link:

Q.If part of a large branch which has fallen from a tree (and thus is a loose impediment) interferes with a player's swing, may the player break off the interfering part rather than move the whole branch?

A.Yes.

!!! So dude being unable to move the tree could have cut away interfering branches and played the ball! ...unless the base hadn't severed.

Fuckin' golf :gaah:

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only a loose impediment if the tree has broken off of it's trunk completely

even still... if you move a loose impediment and it causes your ball to move, thats a 1 stroke penalty.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only a loose impediment if the tree has broken off of it's trunk completely

even still... if you move a loose impediment and it causes your ball to move, thats a 1 stroke penalty.

yep...attached, no relief.

yes, but idk about that in this case...likely the loose impediment (tree branch) was too large to move...as I understand it the player retrieved the ball from under the branch with his clubhead...probably dragging it to a preferred lie and played on without saying anything to his playing competitor.

At worst he took an improper drop and should've lost the hole on that error but he lost the hole on score anyway I think.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct.

Also remember that by definition a ball has moved when it occupies a different space. The ball wiggling but remaining in it's place is NOT deeming the ball to have moved when you remove a loose impediment.

....but steeler you've been saying relief from a loose impediment....you may remove the impediment but you're not taking "relief." That's only from GUR or obstructions.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct.

Also remember that by definition a ball has moved when it occupies a different space. The ball wiggling but remaining in it's place is NOT deeming the ball to have moved when you remove a loose impediment.

....but steeler you've been saying relief from a loose impediment....you may remove the impediment but you're not taking "relief." That's only from GUR or obstructions.

Yeah...you're right...obstruction is not in play because the tree is natural...unless the fallen limb was marked GUR you don't get to move the ball from a loose impediment, but you can get assistance to move the loose impediment providing it doesn't unduly delay play...in that case even if the ball moved you replace it and play it as it lies...no penalty.

So...this took a while to sort out, but the player touching the ball to take relief SHOULD have resulted in a penalty.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect a free drop if I'm not in the fairway.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there's a difference of opinion, play 2 balls and sort it out with the folks who call the shots at the place after the round. That's what Arnie did and it won him his first major.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Line of sight like the pros do it in that situation.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...just a little more dirt.

So my partner Phil played the other day with this young fellow Luke who I actually had in school. Anyway, he's a nice kid and Phil told him about the situation with that dude, Tim getting all angry and being a baby about the handshaking.

So then Luke tells Phil the following. Seems that a couple of weeks ago, Tim invited him to play in a charity scramble tourney. As usual, there was a two drive requirement but Tim as team captain couldn't hit a decent drive and they didn't use two from him. He said it was no big deal but Luke felt bad. So they win the net second place.

At the dinner, the first place guys go up to get their check and they donate it back to the charity of course, to good applause. Tim then tells Luke to go up and get their check next. Luke says he didn't want to 'cause it was Tim's team he put together. Tim insists so Luke goes up and upon getting the check, he too donates it back. He said esp since they didn't win it properly, he didn't want it.

Well doesn't Tim get pissed at him and asked him what did you do that for?! They rode to the course together and Luke said he just pouted and wouldn't say a word to him all the way back!

Lol!

First of all, it was like a hundred bucks to split for the team so it wasn't shit and two, I don't know about you guys but after 25 years of playing leagues with mid and end of the year scrambles, that's 50 times at least I've played with a group of individuals and not once has anyone even hinted at shirking the tournament rules. I've never heard of it.

I'm left to conclude, major doucher.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The organizers should blackball his ass...just ignore his application next year.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it was ever reported. They all kept mute and took the second place. That's why young Luke didn't know what to do and felt bad about taking the cash anyway.

Am I right though, that no scramble team conspires to cheat? I've never been aware of it. I'm sure it happens but it's the epitome of lame.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume this was a 4-man so there was nobody watching them ? My guess is that cheating happens a lot with that format. Tim's a cheating douche for sure, but that's on the rest of the team too. When they got to 17 someone should have insisted they start using Tim's drives and/or let him know well before that was going to happen if they hadn't used one of his at that point.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and the rest of the story when I'm not on my phone.

If you were playing a match and your third pathetic shot ended
up under the limbs of fallen tree way over at the edge of the fairway
, is there any chance that you would expect free relief because the "tree shouldn't be there?"

Yep, I'm using a "foot wedge" here and getting free relief no closer to the hole.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I'm using a "foot wedge" here and getting free relief no closer to the hole.

Yeah...I initially thought something similar, but by rule, you don't get relief from a loose impediment...you can move the loose impediment (even with assistance), and if the ball moves in the process, you place it back, no penalty.

But if the limb wasn't marked GUR, you don't get to move the ball.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume this was a 4-man so there was nobody watching them ? My guess is that cheating happens a lot with that format. Tim's a cheating douche for sure, but that's on the rest of the team too. When they got to 17 someone should have insisted they start using Tim's drives and/or let him know well before that was going to happen if they hadn't used one of his at that point.

Absolutely. Would not have happened if I was in the group.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and the rest of the story when I'm not on my phone.

If you were playing a match and your third pathetic shot ended
up under the limbs of fallen tree way over at the edge of the fairway, is there any chance that you would expect free relief because the "tree shouldn't be there?"

if you were Tiger Woods you would expect the "patrons" to move the tree for you and they would

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you were Tiger Woods you would expect the "patrons" to move the tree for you and they would

That one still bugs me. It would actually be more proper to move a fallen tree than a boulder that was clearly intended to be a permanent fixture of the course.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That one just called for a rule change requiring the player to remove the impediment under their own power.