• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Penny Signed is a Penny ......?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are in rare form, Cal. It portends a Giants win, does it not? Can you handle the pressure?

hmmm...

Does that mean that I am normally witty, but this was a dumb comment, or that I am normally dumb, and this was a smart retort?

I am sooooo confused?!?!

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmm...

Does that mean that I am normally witty, but this was a dumb comment, or that I am normally dumb, and this was a smart retort?

I am sooooo confused?!?!

It means that this comment was exceptionally exceptional. Offered as a compliment, but you can take it any way you want to. There is no metanarrative, and everything is reader response anyway.

:welcome:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It means that this comment was exceptionally exceptional. Offered as a compliment, but you can take it any way you want to. There is no metanarrative, and everything is reader response anyway.

:welcome:

You take me entirely too seriously...

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well no Verlander is the best RHP in the game, even better than Tim at his best. But 2008-9 Tim, who could rival Verlander, is no more and is never coming back.

I agree we shouldn't trade him yet, but this isn't just another 'hiccup'. He hasn't been right all year, almost a third of it...he's learning to pitch in a new way since his velocity is now pretty run-of-the-mill.He may be able to do it, and we owe it to him to work on it.

I still think he needs to work on it in lower pressure situations, ie the minors, and I think that's why we signed Penny.

Hypothetically speaking, if his mechanics are off, couldn't that explain his drop in velocity? Much like MadBum pitching at around 89-90 when he was first called up? When I watch him pitch he doesn't seem to have the same control of his body as he once had...almost as if he is flinging himself to the plate.

Secondly, regarding Verlander vs. Timmeh, if I had ONE game to win, I would pick Timmeh at his best as opposed to Verlander at his best. So maybe I should have used "arguably" before I stated the "best RHP in the game" statement. My bad.

Lastly, I would take Timmeh figuring shit out in the majors over sending him packing to the minors, bringing Penny up, and risk embarrassing a guy we are potentially trying to sign long term. Is Penny > Timmeh, even now? Really? That seems to be a stretch.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetically speaking, if his mechanics are off, couldn't that explain his drop in velocity? Much like MadBum pitching at around 89-90 when he was first called up? When I watch him pitch he doesn't seem to have the same control of his body as he once had...almost as if he is flinging himself to the plate.

Secondly, regarding Verlander vs. Timmeh, if I had ONE game to win, I would pick Timmeh at his best as opposed to Verlander at his best. So maybe I should have used "arguably" before I stated the "best RHP in the game" statement. My bad.

Lastly, I would take Timmeh figuring shit out in the majors over sending him packing to the minors, bringing Penny up, and risk embarrassing a guy we are potentially trying to sign long term. Is Penny > Timmeh, even now? Really? That seems to be a stretch.

I'd take 2008-9 Timmy to win that one game too, because I love the guy. But Verlander is at least as good. Just the facts.

Is Penny capable of pitching better than a 6 ERA? We'll see but I would guess yes he is.

As far as 'embarassing', Timmy is embarassing himself. If he doesn't want to do what it takes to figure shit out, then he's a dumbass. I prefer he figures it out in the minors because we have a division to win.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This. Timmy will work it out in the bigs. He'll be fine by the ASB.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take 2008-9 Timmy to win that one game too, because I love the guy. But Verlander is at least as good. Just the facts.

Is Penny capable of pitching better than a 6 ERA? We'll see but I would guess yes he is.

As far as 'embarassing', Timmy is embarassing himself. If he doesn't want to do what it takes to figure shit out, then he's a dumbass. I prefer he figures it out in the minors because we have a division to win.

Strawman. The question is: is Penny MORE capable of pitching better than a 6 ERA than Timmy is?

I'd say probably not. And that's the way to bet.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. Timmy will work it out in the bigs. He'll be fine by the ASB.

Such confidence...hope you're right. How about Belt?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strawman. The question is: is Penny MORE capable of pitching better than a 6 ERA than Timmy is?

I'd say probably not. And that's the way to bet.

Homer. I admire your unshakeable confidence.

:wink:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know. Timmeh was pretty fucking good in the playoffs in 2010 in game 1 of NLDS, especially with his 1 hit, 14k gem. The difference is that Timmeh is battle tested in the playoffs. I would give the nod to him.

As far as Penny being capable of better then 6 ERA? Like Tzill stated straw man, but if you ARE going to take the argument literally, if he were capable of better, surely some team other then a team in Japan would have thought so prior to the start of the season. Sure, the Giants signed him, but I think we can all agree its based on a severe management pantshitting moment due to injuries and lack of depth in the upper minors, not because he has been killing it in production.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't know. My expectations for him are lowering by the week. He may never figure it out. He may click in and hit .300 with power.

We shall see.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. Timmeh was pretty fucking good in the playoffs in 2010 in game 1 of NLDS, especially with his 1 hit, 14k gem. The difference is that Timmeh is battle tested in the playoffs. I would give the nod to him.

As far as Penny being capable of better then 6 ERA? Like Tzill stated straw man, but if you ARE going to take the argument literally, if he were capable of better, surely some team other then a team in Japan would have thought so prior to the start of the season. Sure, the Giants signed him, but I think we can all agree its based on a severe management pantshitting moment due to injuries and lack of depth in the upper minors, not because he has been killing it in production.

This. I think Kamp is a lot more hurt than they first thought. I think I saw his picture on the back of a milk carton last week.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When he was talking to Tom yesterday, JT expressed some SERIOUS concerns about him. He said his mechanics are a mess (my words, not his, but that was his basic point).

He did not seem overly optimistic about him.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he was talking to Tom yesterday, JT expressed some SERIOUS concerns about him. He said his mechanics are a mess (my words, not his, but that was his basic point).

He did not seem overly optimistic about him.

Damn, who pissed in JT's Wheaties? I like JT a lot, but damn.....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, who pissed in JT's Wheaties? I like JT a lot, but damn.....

His interview REALLY did not sound that negative while I was listening to it, but the two things I took from it were his thoughts on Freddy and his take on Belt.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How smart does SabeySabes look right now for:

1. Flipping Chez for Melky; and
2. Extending Vogeltron before the season began.

But hey, let's rehash Shea Hillenbrand and the Huff and RoRo contracts....

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

.....am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.