• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Penny Signed is a Penny ......?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants interested in Hudson and Melvin Mora?

Giants not rushing to sign Orlando Hudson

Hudson, 34, was released by the San Diego Padres on Thursday after hitting .211 with one home run and playing suspect defense at second base. His $5.5 million salary, and his $2 million buyout on an option for 2013, was a big bite for the small-market club. Hudson is free to sign with any club, who would be responsible for paying just a prorated portion of the major league minimum salary.

The other infielder linked to the Giants in recent rumors is 40-year-old Melvin Mora, who told a Spanish-language newspaper that he was traveling to the U.S. to work out for teams. Mora said he had offers from the Reds and Giants.

Hell to the no.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

notmyfault

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hudson >> Burris

Burris had his chance and Crashed and Burned.

I remember Mora being a 3B, too?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Orlando Hudson >>>> Manny Bussiss. *

*Which is like saying that being sliced open with a surgical knife is better than being sliced open with a rusty butter knife. Both are going to suck, but one would definitely suck less.

Hudson couldn't get to half the balls Burriss boots.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hudson couldn't get to half the balls Burriss boots.

I'd rather see if we can coax Jeff Kent out of retirement.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice insurance if someone goes down.

My other thought is: might this possibly be a prelude to a deal being made where we trade one of our starters for an upper-tier corner outfielder?

This is an outstanding comment, repped.

Cause I was thinking about that too, when I heard he was signed, and they planned to have him ML ready by May 30, I'm all 'for what?'

We aren't putting him the pen, we aren't carrying a 13th pitcher with our injuries and weak offense....could he really be just a 6th man depth move, in case a pitcher goes down (admittedly you kind of have to believe that's going to happen at least once somehow)?

Because if it's a trade, it's Timmy or Vogs. Zito is untradable obviously (decent year so far but not enough to move the contract), and Cain and Bum were just locked down for a long time.

I actually think they might be wanting to shut down Timmy for a month to let him straighten shit out, learn his new style, with less pressure. Do it before the ASB, before the late run, get a guy in who can replace the weak production you've been able to give...?

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love timmy but I would trade him for the right deal. I am a bigger Cain fan

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nice insurance if someone goes down.

My other thought is: might this possibly be a prelude to a deal being made where we trade one of our starters for an upper-tier corner outfielder?

I think it's Surkamp insurance. Something went really wrong in his last rehab stint and he's seeking a second opinion on something that will, most likely, require surgery. Vague, I know, but that's almost exactly how the teams release worded it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an outstanding comment, repped.

Cause I was thinking about that too, when I heard he was signed, and they planned to have him ML ready by May 30, I'm all 'for what?'

We aren't putting him the pen, we aren't carrying a 13th pitcher with our injuries and weak offense....could he really be just a 6th man depth move, in case a pitcher goes down (admittedly you kind of have to believe that's going to happen at least once somehow)?

Because if it's a trade, it's Timmy or Vogs. Zito is untradable obviously (decent year so far but not enough to move the contract), and Cain and Bum were just locked down for a long time.

I actually think they might be wanting to shut down Timmy for a month to let him straighten shit out, learn his new style, with less pressure. Do it before the ASB, before the late run, get a guy in who can replace the weak production you've been able to give...?

I think the plan is to EXACTLY put him in the pen, to replace Billy Weed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the plan is to EXACTLY put him in the pen, to replace Billy Weed.

This was kinda how I saw it. Edlefsen is not cutting it, and even Mota was not a classic long guy. Penny fits the role of garbage time/6th guy almost perfectly.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was kinda how I saw it. Edlefsen is not cutting it, and even Mota was not a classic long guy. Penny fits the role of garbage time/6th guy almost perfectly.

All good points. My fear though with this is that Penny might fit the role, but the role might not fit Penny. I question whether he would humble himself to being in the pen. Pure speculation on my part, but I get the feeling he sees himself as a starter, and nothing else.

the_broom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
All good points. My fear though with this is that Penny might fit the role, but the role might not fit Penny. I question whether he would humble himself to being in the pen. Pure speculation on my part, but I get the feeling he sees himself as a starter, and nothing else.

He was cut in Japan...my guess is he will bust his balls to do whatever is necessary to make it back to a big league club...and position himself for another contract next year if he performs. The dude is running out of options...

As far as Timmy...Penny has nothing to do with him unless there is something physically wrong with him that the Giants haven't told anyone.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was cut in Japan...my guess is he will bust his balls to do whatever is necessary to make it back to a big league club...and position himself for another contract next year if he performs. The dude is running out of options...

As far as Timmy...Penny has nothing to do with him unless there is something physically wrong with him that the Giants haven't told anyone.

Well there is something physically wrong with Tim, his velocity is gone and he's trying to learn to pitch in a new way during games that count. I think maybe they want to give him a few starts off to work on things, with Penny taking those starts.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He chose the Giants, knowing the lack of an open spot on the MLB rotation. If he isn't cool that, there were 31 other options he could have explored.

Three years ago, the G's picked him up off the trash heap and made the Cards pay for it. He is trying to catch lightning in a bottle. He will do whatever needs to be done. Or he will be buying a new set of golf clubs.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He chose the Giants, knowing the lack of an open spot on the MLB rotation. If he isn't cool that, there were 31 other options he could have explored.

Three years ago, the G's picked him up off the trash heap and made the Cards pay for it. He is trying to catch lightning in a bottle. He will do whatever needs to be done. Or he will be buying a new set of golf clubs.

Seeing what the Giants have done since he left, was it wise for him to have gone to Detroit? He got more $$$$ to be sure, but lost out on a WS ring.

I would have loved for him to stay in this rotation, but that would have closed out a spot for Vogelsong last year, right?

I welcome him back, and hope he pitches as effectively as he possibly can.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there is something physically wrong with Tim, his velocity is gone and he's trying to learn to pitch in a new way during games that count. I think maybe they want to give him a few starts off to work on things, with Penny taking those starts.

Dude, that is cazic-esque. You've a right to your opinion of course, but there's been no word that Timmy is physically not sound.

Re: Penny, this from Shulman's blog:

Bochy said once Brad Penny joins the team he might be used to close games on days that Santiago Casilla or Sergio Romo need a rest.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, that is cazic-esque. You've a right to your opinion of course, but there's been no word that Timmy is physically not sound.

Re: Penny, this from Shulman's blog:

Bochy said once Brad Penny joins the team he might be used to close games on days that Santiago Casilla or Sergio Romo need a rest.

I'm using 'physically' as in physics. His velocity is lower than it used to be, in the physical world. He's learning a new Maddux-like pitching style. Maybe he's not hurt but his physical body no longer throws a baseball as hard as it used to.

Penny to the pen, eh? We'll see.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While the team released him, I understood that Penny *requested* the release because he wasn't liking Japan.