• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A mess in the desert

BostonAJ

They fucking won?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From The Winnipeg Free Press...

Glendale city council is to vote Tuesday night on a motion to give its city manager the power to assure the NHL it will meet the league's conditions. It is believed the NHL is demanding an assurance that any Coyotes' losses will be covered if the league operates the team for one more season.

"That's the next step. If that fails or if our negotiations fall through, I think the team will move and there's a handful of cities that will be in the running. In my opinion, Winnipeg is at the top of that list," said Jones. "If the city satisfies the NHL's conditions on Tuesday, the team will stay in Glendale for at least another year."

It looks like closure may be on the horizon. I wasn't a fan of the Yotes moving to Hamilton (I still think that could hose the Sabres), but I'm really rooting for the team to move back to its rightful home.

Now if we can just get the Avs back in Quebec and the Canes back in Hartford, I'll be happy.

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like closure may be on the horizon. I wasn't a fan of the Yotes moving to Hamilton (I still think that could hose the Sabres), but I'm really rooting for the team to move back to its rightful home.

Now if we can just get the Avs back in Quebec and the Canes back in Hartford, I'll be happy.
I'm fine with the avs in Colorado that seems like a good fit

DerringerEagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This farce has gone on long enough quite frankly. That market is a dead end and needs to be taken out of the league and back to where it never should have left.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what's the arena situation like up in winnipeg?

Beautiful arena, just a little small (currently seats just over 15,000 people). Apparently, they might be able to expand it to 16,000. Do they have the corporate support to make it viable I think is the big question.

Predsfan22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is that a misprint? Glendale only has 250K population? Didnt they leave Winnipeg because its half a milllion population wasnt enough?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Is that a misprint? Glendale only has 250K population? Didnt they leave Winnipeg because its half a milllion population wasnt enough?

Glendale = 250k; Phoenix = 1.5m
hang on... how come a Canadian is telling you this stuff? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And the Flames back to Alanta and the Devils back in Kansas City:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well colorado already has a team. i am all for the nhl getting teams to the best places although you can not move them everytime the fans do not show up. however thereare some markets they should be taken out of.

phoneix

florida

atlanta

besides those teams, i think the nhl has been alright.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Talks have broken off,” Ice Edge chief operating office Daryl Jones told the Free Press late Monday night.

“We were adamant about needing exclusivity in these negotiations and they haven’t provided it. I’m not totally surprised. We’ve been dealing with this for a while. We thought we had agreed to certain things and expected them in writing. That didn’t materialize.”

I probably shouldn't be enjoying this as much as I am, but Bettman turned this into a giant clusterfuck and it's all blowing up in his face.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Talks have broken off,” Ice Edge chief operating office Daryl Jones told the Free Press late Monday night.

“We were adamant about needing exclusivity in these negotiations and they haven’t provided it. I’m not totally surprised. We’ve been dealing with this for a while. We thought we had agreed to certain things and expected them in writing. That didn’t materialize.”

I probably shouldn't be enjoying this as much as I am, but Bettman turned this into a giant clusterfuck and it's all blowing up in his face.

I'm enjoying it too. The owners also voted Balsillie down and in the end it looks like it's going to cost them quite a bit of money. They couldda had this settled over a year ago.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm enjoying it too. The owners also voted Balsillie down and in the end it looks like it's going to cost them quite a bit of money. They couldda had this settled over a year ago.

+1

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHL schedule includes Winnipeg

tid bits
The NHL schedule makers have created an itinerary for the 2010-11 season that includes a team based out of Winnipeg.

The schedule is a contingency plan as the future of the Phoenix Coyotes remains undecided, according to numerous media sources, including CBC Sports national reporter Teddy Katz.
Glendale city council members will vote Tuesday evening on whether to financially backstop the Coyotes.
"And I'm supposed to vote to give the NHL an unlimited amount of money? If that isn't tough, I don't know what is," Lieberman said, adding that he intends to oppose the motion.However, he thinks a majority on council will vote to fund the team for another year. Many councillors are worried about losing the $180-million investment the city made in the arena to attract the team to Glendale.
If any public money is put on the table for the Coyotes, the Goldwater Institute will file a lawsuit, Sitran said

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont like the move to Winnipeg. If Phoenix is a financial disaster... fine. But I think it would harm growth of the game. Living in LA I know a number of people from Arizona, and a good number of them were getting into the Yotes when they were playing the Red Wings. With the new arena and a few years of a decent team, I think Arizona has the potential to support the Yotes.

If they have to be moved, then I would like to see them go to an untapped proven sports market; Kansas City, Seattle, Portland, Houston, Cleveland... I understand there are arena issues with some of those cities, but feel it would be better for the growth of the game.

Canada has a population of 30 million people. They have 6 teams. Thats one team for every 5 million people. They have enough teams. Keep the teams down South... look at Dallas, Tampa, San Jose, LA, St Louis... these are sucsessful "non-traditional" markets that have turned into successes for the NHL.

Lastly, I wish the NHL would move the Islanders. The NY metropolitan area has 3 teams, yet two of them get terrible attendance. Top that off with a team with no identity in the last two decades and a terrible, small arena, and I think they should be moved. Die hard fans on the Island can drive down to MSG or NJ to watch games. I know its not the same, but I think it would be worth giving fans in other major markets a team.