• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Crazy Time in CBB Ahead

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me know what you think about this.

A buddy of mine and I were talking AZ ball, and then it expanded to all CBB. We started talking about other teams in the top 10, and when we talked about Duke and Coach K, we started to talk about who will replace him. Then we got onto the fact that Duke, UNC, Cuse, and Ville might all be heading for a coaching change in the next 4-8 years due to retirements. You think we could throw Cal in the mix at all to the NBA, and maybe Bo Ryan might retire? Am I forgetting anyone? Billy Donovan to the NBA (again)?

How crazy would it be if all or most of those programs had HC vacancies within a few year span? Imagine what that would do to the CBB landscape. What order do you think they leave? Any reason for that order? What does that do to the next tier programs below them who lose coaches to fill those voids? Do any programs make a bad move and drop for a few years? I think it could get really interesting.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 4-8 years all of those guys will be gone. Izzo could conceivable be gone in that time too.

Duke is going to go after a former player. Whoever is hottest at the time. My guess is Wojo.

UNC I haven't heard any rumblings. My first guess is promoting Hubert Davis. Decent chance they look outside. (Miller, Self, Hoiberg, Bennett)

I've heard Cuse would promote Mike Hopkins.

UofL will go after Donovan. Then they'll go after him again. Then they'll bring in Richard.

UK will go after blue chip names first. (see above) Barring that they might look at a former UK guy like Travis Ford if he's hot. Very small chance a guy like Robic gets promoted.

I don't really know what MSU will do but I've heard similar rumblings to Syracuse (assistant, like Dwayne Stephens)

UK, UofL and UNC are most likely to get proven talent I think, so they're less likely to drop from a coaching change. Duke, SU and MSU will be taking a riskier route.

UNC and/or SU ending up with significant NCAA penalties could obviously advance the time table, and affect the hiring process too.

But if I were at Iowa St, Virginia or to a lesser degree Kansas and Arizona, I'd worry a little about the dominoes starting to fall.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Huggins will probably have dropped dead by then.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cal will be at UK another decade at least, adding another 300 wins and a couple of titles to his legacy. If he left in the next few years, I think a Jay Wright or Shaka Smart would smart would be at the top of the list

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like to think about when Bo Ryan retires. Unless we could somehow snag Tony Bennett (which I don't think is very realistic at this point) or Shaka Smart (much more likely IMO), I'm not sure there is another coach that will be able to do what Bo has done with this program.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A buddy of mine and I were talking AZ ball, and then it expanded to all CBB. We started talking about other teams in the top 10, and when we talked about Duke and Coach K, we started to talk about who will replace him. Then we got onto the fact that Duke, UNC, Cuse, and Ville might all be heading for a coaching change in the next 4-8 years due to retirements. You think we could throw Cal in the mix at all to the NBA, and maybe Bo Ryan might retire? Am I forgetting anyone? Billy Donovan to the NBA (again)?

How crazy would it be if all or most of those programs had HC vacancies within a few year span? Imagine what that would do to the CBB landscape. What order do you think they leave? Any reason for that order? What does that do to the next tier programs below them who lose coaches to fill those voids? Do any programs make a bad move and drop for a few years? I think it could get really interesting.

Michigan will probably lose Beilein in the next 4-8 seasons. Not that he's been here for decades or won multiple NCAA titles but he did get us back to the NCAA National Championship Game and turned Michigan basketball back into a respectable program.

Steve Fisher's probably on his way out as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like to think about when Bo Ryan retires. Unless we could somehow snag Tony Bennett (which I don't think is very realistic at this point) or Shaka Smart (much more likely IMO), I'm not sure there is another coach that will be able to do what Bo has done with this program.

Mick Cronin would be a good hire.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cal will be at UK another decade at least, adding another 300 wins and a couple of titles to his legacy. If he left in the next few years, I think a Jay Wright or Shaka Smart would smart would be at the top of the list

Jay Wright is only three years younger than Cal.

Surprising, huh?

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 4-8 years all of those guys will be gone. Izzo could conceivable be gone in that time too.

Duke is going to go after a former player. Whoever is hottest at the time. My guess is Wojo.

UNC I haven't heard any rumblings. My first guess is promoting Hubert Davis. Decent chance they look outside. (Miller, Self, Hoiberg, Bennett)

I've heard Cuse would promote Mike Hopkins.

UofL will go after Donovan. Then they'll go after him again. Then they'll bring in Richard.

UK will go after blue chip names first. (see above) Barring that they might look at a former UK guy like Travis Ford if he's hot. Very small chance a guy like Robic gets promoted.

I don't really know what MSU will do but I've heard similar rumblings to Syracuse (assistant, like Dwayne Stephens)

UK, UofL and UNC are most likely to get proven talent I think, so they're less likely to drop from a coaching change. Duke, SU and MSU will be taking a riskier route.

UNC and/or SU ending up with significant NCAA penalties could obviously advance the time table, and affect the hiring process too.

But if I were at Iowa St, Virginia or to a lesser degree Kansas and Arizona, I'd worry a little about the dominoes starting to fall.

My buddy and I also brought this up. The AZ AD and a booster (I don't know the exact ins and outs) set up a fund where if Miller is still around in 2019 (I think), he gets like a 9 million dollar bonus. I really think that will keep him around until then. I think the hope there is that if Miller can put 10 years into the program, then he stands a much better chance on staying, and maybe some of those marquee programs have already found a replacement. I think I put my money on him still being in Tucson to collect that check.

But yeah, 2019 would put it right in the window for that 4-8 year span. If some of those better programs are in the market, how could Miler not leave, unless he has a couple titles or a title and a couple Final Fours? I don't know.

It's just crazy to think how many of the best teams will be affected either by direct retirement, or by moving on to fill those vacated positions. As some other posters mentioned, Fisher and Beilein could also be thrown into the mix.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know what to think about Cal staying in Lexington. He isn't old, and there is no where to go from UK, but I just think Cal might get bored. If he wins another couple NCs by then, I don't know if he's the kind of guy who will just stay for the next 15 years. I think he would bounce to the NBA, or quit.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When I threw out Wojo to replace K, he agreed, but also said that they might go with another ACC guy if not a Duke guy. He brought up Bennett to Duke.

I don't know about Smart though. Hasn't he passed up some pretty good gigs? He might not leave, kind of like Few.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hoiberg would be a great catch for anyone.

How much longer does Barnes stay in Austin, and how big (or not) of an opening is that?

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Thad Matta taking a step up to a blueblood.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My buddy and I also brought this up. The AZ AD and a booster (I don't know the exact ins and outs) set up a fund where if Miller is still around in 2019 (I think), he gets like a 9 million dollar bonus. I really think that will keep him around until then. I think the hope there is that if Miller can put 10 years into the program, then he stands a much better chance on staying, and maybe some of those marquee programs have already found a replacement. I think I put my money on him still being in Tucson to collect that check.

But yeah, 2019 would put it right in the window for that 4-8 year span. If some of those better programs are in the market, how could Miler not leave, unless he has a couple titles or a title and a couple Final Fours? I don't know.

It's just crazy to think how many of the best teams will be affected either by direct retirement, or by moving on to fill those vacated positions. As some other posters mentioned, Fisher and Beilein could also be thrown into the mix.

If Sean ever leaves just ink his little bro.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Sean ever leaves just ink his little bro.

That's a great point! Hahaha, hope it doesn't come to that. We'll see. Hope we can get some shit done here in the next few years to keep him comfortable.

I think some of us were hoping that if anything happened with Miller, that Pastner would be a good inside choice; he still has some ground to cover in March, although he would have some time. I still think Miller will be here until he gets paid.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
brad stevens will be getting a big chunk of change from someone

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

canthearyou.JPG

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBB without Coach K would just be too weird. Love him or hate him... it wouldn't be the same.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what to think about Cal staying in Lexington. He isn't old, and there is no where to go from UK, but I just think Cal might get bored. If he wins another couple NCs by then, I don't know if he's the kind of guy who will just stay for the next 15 years. I think he would bounce to the NBA, or quit.

Yeah, I don't worry about losing Cal to anywhere but the NBA. Cal and UK are a perfect match

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Greg Gard can actually do exactly what Bo does. By all accounts, he's one of the best assistants in America and plays a very active role in practice and scouting. He's gonna be the coach if we don't get the home run hire.