• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A better way of determining if the puck crossed the goal line

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that I don't think it's possible, I'm just not ready to trust technology as an absolute indication for determining goals, that's all. With as good as technology is now, there is need for improvement and we're both in agreement that it will cost money to develop. I just don't see the NHL springing the cost for that. Now if someone else can develop a system, then the NHL may very will pick it up and implement it. I think you believe this technology will be developed quicker than I believe it will. I think it's still a good ways away. But yeah, let's bring this back up in 2027 and see who was right! :p:cool:

Fair enough, sir. I assumed this would just be for review of controversial goals - only a few out of a hundred or so.

In any case, I guess I have to go out and get a 2027 calendar book. ;)

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should just dig a 10 foot deep pit in the goal area and if the puck drops in there it's a goal. Period! We could lose a few goalies but that's why they get the big bucks.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should just dig a 10 foot deep pit in the goal area and if the puck drops in there it's a goal. Period! We could lose a few goalies but that's why they get the big bucks.

Hey, it would also keep fools like Corey Perry from running goalies for fear of falling into the pit! Throw a couple of wolves in there, and we're all set.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that I don't think it's possible, I'm just not ready to trust technology as an absolute indication for determining goals, that's all. With as good as technology is now, there is need for improvement and we're both in agreement that it will cost money to develop. I just don't see the NHL springing the cost for that. Now if someone else can develop a system, then the NHL may very will pick it up and implement it. I think you believe this technology will be developed quicker than I believe it will. I think it's still a good ways away. But yeah, let's bring this back up in 2027 and see who was right! :p:cool:

I understand how you feel. I am sure there would be instances where the puck crossed the line and the computer says it does, yet there is no camera angle of it or even worse on camera it looks like it doesnt cross the line. I am sure fans would yell conspiracy right away.

Curtrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My wife helped our my county library switch from a traditional check out system to a new RFID system. The RFID system allows you to carry a stack of books, pile them on the checkout table, and check them all out at once. When they were doing that a few years ago each sticker cost about 50 cents. Its gotten so cheap that some grocery stores are using that for check out now too.

I would certainly think if they placed a sticker on the middle of one side of the puck that they could mathematically figure out a system to tell whether the puck goes completely over the line.

Then again the honor system is the gentlemanly way to decide. Sorry my good teammates, that puck did cross the line.

In school I did an industry project where we had to create a patient tracking system using RFID. The purpose of the project was to make sure patients that had alzheimer's, etc. would not escape the hospital without anyone knowing. The technology is OK for approximate locations and figuring out if a patient has gone through a door. But (as far as I know) RFID is not the best choice for determining if a puck completely crosses a line. ALSO, these chips could be exploited by fans... a smart hacker may be able to set the thing off remotely.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In school I did an industry project where we had to create a patient tracking system using RFID. The purpose of the project was to make sure patients that had alzheimer's, etc. would not escape the hospital without anyone knowing. The technology is OK for approximate locations and figuring out if a patient has gone through a door. But (as far as I know) RFID is not the best choice for determining if a puck completely crosses a line. ALSO, these chips could be exploited by fans... a smart hacker may be able to set the thing off remotely.

LOL I never thought of that. That would be troublesome.

As for how well the technology would work, I was lead to believe by some articles that they could get accurate locational readings by RFID but I do not know for sure.

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gents,

I really do understand the frustration when it comes to a puck crossing a goal line or not. If it was as simple as you a pretend to make it, it would have ready been developed and implemented. I have been working in sensor development for the DoD for well over 30 years now and none of the ideas you have come up with are as simple as you make them out to be. Or I should say will give you anymore reliability than the naked eye/ cameras.

Lasers no-way, too many objects get in the way, also a distraction if not damaging to players eyes.

Magnetic too much power needed to produce a field strong enough to make certain it was the puck that crossed the line. Also any equipment or metalic materials would be attracted and change the field.

Eddy current fields, somewhat possible, but the net would have to be fixed in place and the connections sealed, it would be alternating current, +/- 24 volts minimum for a 48" gap. Thumbnail guess .6 to .8 amps, can you say dead goalies...

Piezo resistive, excelerometers, poximity sensors. simple shock issues. Calibration to ice thickness would be a nonstop issue, is the ice wet (yes it makes a difference in conductivity), snow build up, did the zamboni shave too much or too little. Is the net perfectly straight, or did it be moved slightly on the pegs. (this is your Wii and game type sensors)

Thats just the detector, now we have the omitter (puck), it's not just a chip or metallic material, it also will have to be energized, a battery or boost would be neccessary because ALL the pucks will have to be at a specific frequency for any sensor to pick it out of all background noises. The alterations to the puck would change its physics because of the drilling and weight differentials.

I can go into a lot more detail than I did.

Improved (fiber) optics in the posts to radio recievers might work, given enough camera angles from all around the net. maybe.