• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9/5 Who Cares Scrubs @ Who Cares 2

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN:
C Hector Sanchez left Saturday's game with a left ankle sprain. ... OFNori Aoki was out of the lineup with concussion symptoms. Manager Bruce Bochy said Aoki notified him Saturday morning that he was feeling tired and experienced dizziness. ... INF Brandon Belt was not in the lineup due to a stomach illness. ... C Andrew Susac returned to San Francisco to have his ailing right thumb examined.

I thought Belt looked a little out of it yesterday. He was moving slowly. Explains why he sat. Too bad Aoki is dealing with concussion issues again. I hope that doesn't become a long term issue for him.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:yo:

I only watched a little at halftime of the Oregon Ducks game. Seemed like a good one though. Did you go to this game as well?

Oh and Arenado at 13 and 34

Nope, going tomorrow. 2nd row on the 1st base side. Can't remember the section. Good seats. Hoping for a Gem from Bum and hits and runs from the rest.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants win, but still lose 3 players to potential season-ending injuries.

Amazing.

Talk on the post game about Whiteside getting activated.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right one cue, Peavy struggles the 3rd time through the lineup. The numbers on this are pretty staggering, and going into next year, Boch HAS to see this (he should have seen this a long time ago frankly). He's a 2 time through the lineup pitcher (literally, the MAX innings he should go is 6, or once the lineup turns over a 3rd time). I think he could play well out of the bullpen next year, or can only be relied on a short start every time through.

In 2015:

1st time through lineup: .260/.316/.385 batters line, 1 home run in 116 plate appearances

2nd time through lineup: .193/.241/.266 batters line, 1 home run in 117 plate appearances

3rd time through lineup: .382/.432/.721 batters line, 7 home runs in 74 plate appearances

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pitches 1-25: .235/.297/.382 batters line, 1 home run in 74 PAs

Pitches 26-50: .284/.325/.338 batters line, 0 home runs in 83 PAs

Pitches 51-75: .233/.282/.288 batters line, 0 home runs in 78 PAs

Pitches 76-100:
.318/.375/.742 batters line, 8 home runs in 72 PAs

I know many of us have noticed this already, but when you see the numbers it's scary.

Peavy
PERFECTLY on cue tonight. Batters 2-4 with a 2-R HR the 3rd time through. Was sitting at 71 pitches going into the 6th. Oddly enough, on his 76th pitch, Jose Reyes got a hit and on his 88th pitch Arenado hit a home run.

The numbers above don't include tonight's game, so add another homer and some batting average to the red lines, and lower the averages in black.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants win, but still lose 3 players to potential season-ending injuries.

Amazing.

Talk on the post game about Whiteside getting activated.
Is that a joke? I cannot imagine him even playing a game if activated. When was the last time he played? I don't see how that could be helpful. What would his hitting be like now?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that a joke? I cannot imagine him even playing a game if activated. When was the last time he played? I don't see how that could be helpful. What would his hitting be like now?
What was his hitting like when he played regularly?

I would imaging he would be activated and only play in an emergency, and then, only defensively.

He would probably still act as the BP catcher. His role would not change with the team, except he would get a temp raise and be eligible to play in an emergency.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was his hitting like when he played regularly?

I would imaging he would be activated and only play in an emergency, and then, only defensively.

He would probably still act as the BP catcher. His role would not change with the team, except he would get a temp raise and be eligible to play in an emergency.
I thought teams like to carry three catchers in September to give them all more rest. If Whiteside gets activated, that really limits the team to two catchers, except maybe in the last couple of innings. But I didn't think of the way you saw bringing Trevor Brown up. I don't think he's ready, so to put him on the 40 man roster too early would not be a good idea yet. That means either Ben Turner or Eliezer Zambrano. Zambrano, to me, would be no different than Whiteside, except that Whiteside is older and has big league experience. Zambrano will be a minor league free agent anyway, so dfa'ing him at the end of the season would be no big deal.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought teams like to carry three catchers in September to give them all more rest. If Whiteside gets activated, that really limits the team to two catchers, except maybe in the last couple of innings. But I didn't think of the way you saw bringing Trevor Brown up. I don't think he's ready, so to put him on the 40 man roster too early would not be a good idea yet. That means either Ben Turner or Eliezer Zambrano. Zambrano, to me, would be no different than Whiteside, except that Whiteside is older and has big league experience. Zambrano will be a minor league free agent anyway, so dfa'ing him at the end of the season would be no big deal.
Whiteside is "A Giant". The pitching staff knows him and trusts him. I can definitely see them going with Whitey before Zambrano or Turner or Brown. Maybe they go with GQ? I do not even know if he is still available, though.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Giants, but you are taking a back seat to the Ducks. And anything else I would have done tonight.

Football is evil and stupid. Might as well call it the Hunger Games.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football is evil and stupid. Might as well call it the Hunger Games.
I have slowly come around to this way of thinking. Christians to the lions and all that…

And the billionaire owners who don't want to fund the players' after-career game related health needs...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not real big on the NFL. Basically the epitome of American corporate greed. But I love college football.
Corporate greed vs slavery, and you pick slavery?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not real big on the NFL. Basically the epitome of American corporate greed. But I love college football.

It's not about the greed (although I agree). It's about saying to (mostly) young African American men: debilitate yourself for my pleasure!

And please, no "assumption of the risk" arguments. I'm not saying the players aren't aware; I'm saying any sport that would willingly court head trauma and lifelong debilitation is evil. We got rid of blowing up the catcher in baseball for JUST this reason. Injuries are unfortunate --DESIGNED injury is just evil. Get rid of the culture of "big hits" and "ring his bell" and I might be interested. As is, it glorifies stupidity.