• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

9/2 CFB Ohio St @ Minnesota 8:00 pm FOX

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 of our 7 defenders in the backfield were first time starters with many never even playing before. Couple that with a QB who never had thrown a collegiate pass and it being a road night game in the rain and this game doesn't surprise me at all.

Minny should do well this season. Let's see if they can keep the same intensity and play against everyone else as they did against Ohio State (does Fleck go for that 4th and 1 against anyone else but Ohio State?)

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol there isn't even contact yet in that picture.

Look, it very easily could have been called targeting under today's rules, but Ransom hit him with his arms up and his feet never left the ground.
I honestly think that’s what they look at most is if the player launches, along with using the crown of the helmet. 0 for 2 on both of those but I still think this rule is inconsistent and it always will be

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol there isn't even contact yet in that picture.

Look, it very easily could have been called targeting under today's rules, but Ransom hit him with his arms up and his feet never left the ground.

I rewound it and stopped it just before his helmet hit his helmet......watch it again

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 of our 7 defenders in the backfield were first time starters with many never even playing before. Couple that with a QB who never had thrown a collegiate pass and it being a road night game in the rain and this game doesn't surprise me at all.

Minny should do well this season. Let's see if they can keep the same intensity and play against everyone else as they did against Ohio State (does Fleck go for that 4th and 1 against anyone else but Ohio State?)
Yes, Fleck would go for that 4th and 1 against everyone else. I understand you don't know that about Fleck as you obviously don't follow the Gophers.

No one is trying to take anything away from OSU. But your pointing out how young and inexperienced the OSU backfield is, just reinforces what some are saying about how they should have been called for a few more penalties than the more experienced Gophers.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They called that ticky tac foul when an OSU player touched the QBs head, but you can tackle a receiver leading with your helmet and not get flagged? That is total bs.
Were you complaining when the ticky tack foul was called?

I did think they'd call it a target but can also agree with Gus Johnson who said head was a little off to the side.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you are right, Minnesota had their chances and they blew it, and had they called that targeting call and Minnesota retained possession, all that would have done is maybe cut the Buckeyes winning margin and lost a lot of people out in Vegas some money.

I didn't go in expecting the Gophers to give it to OSU like they did, so I'm pleased with their potential going forward, although it might be tough if Ibrahim doesn't return?

But I'll always be upset when the refs blow lots of calls all seemingly benefitting one team. And again, I'm not saying any of those blown calls would have changed the outcome, as 3 of them didn't hurt the Gophers as they made big plays on the following plays on all 3 occasions prior to that last blown targeting call.
I mean, they did blow a few for each it seemed. The roughing the QB could have been let go, and a blatant hold on a long completion for MN.

I'd also be pleased with their effort and agreed with the announcers who said to discount 2020. MN will be more like the 2019 team.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who watched the game would NOT call it being destroyed.

Without the refs helping OSU(something the majority of those commenting on the game here would agree with) AND our star RB going out of the game, it would have likely been a 1 TD defeat, hardly "being destroyed".
Not sure I agree with your reasoning, but agree MN was not "destroyed".

I'll tell you what was surprising by both teams at the end. OSU played like it was over before it was subbing in Crowley at RB and Flieck gave up a little sooner than I expected he would. Playing a better RB for OSU or trying longer for MN probably doesn't change anything but thought it was a little premature for both.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were you complaining when the ticky tack foul was called?

I did think they'd call it a target but can also agree with Gus Johnson who said head was a little off to the side.
I admitted that the ticky tack foul was iffy, but probably, technically, called correctly. Football's changed over the years. UMn claims Natl Titles in 1904 and should claim one in 1903 as well but they don't. But it wasn't until 1905 I think that they started implementing rules to protect players as MULTIPLE players were DYING every year from football related injuries.

In today's atmosphere, not one single death would be considered justified, and with the long term effects of head injuries coming to light, despite big time football's trying to hide the truth, the protection of vulnerable defenseless players has become more important than it was in the past. It's bound to change the game, and the changes won't end. Higher quality protective gear has and will continue to help, but not allowing helmet to helmet targeting, face mask grabbing, etc., will not go away, they may actually become more prevalent as the #s of youth playing football has declined steadily over the years.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admitted that the ticky tack foul was iffy, but probably, technically, called correctly. Football's changed over the years. UMn claims Natl Titles in 1904 and should claim one in 1903 as well but they don't. But it wasn't until 1905 I think that they started implementing rules to protect players as MULTIPLE players were DYING every year from football related injuries.

In today's atmosphere, not one single death would be considered justified, and with the long term effects of head injuries coming to light, despite big time football's trying to hide the truth, the protection of vulnerable defenseless players has become more important than it was in the past. It's bound to change the game, and the changes won't end. Higher quality protective gear has and will continue to help, but not allowing helmet to helmet targeting, face mask grabbing, etc., will not go away, they may actually become more prevalent as the #s of youth playing football has declined steadily over the years.
Agree they need to call it but glad they don't reward the offensive player who ducks his own head.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much the way I saw the game coming out. It took Stroud a half to get acclimated to a real game before a hostile crowd. RB situation not settled yet, but I thought Master Teague should have gotten more playing time. Henderson looks like the real deal. Minnesota WR's played well, better than I thought. A win over Oregon would likely guarantee an undefeated regular season.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree they need to call it but glad they don't reward the offensive player who ducks his own head.

I also think a key point was that they called it a completion. Usually once they establish a receiver has possession the defenseless title drops. Ransoms hit was amplified by the fact Morgan threw that ball high and out in front of a receiver going across the middle.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So wait? The offensive player who had to spend almost every second of that play concentrating on catching the ball and only had a split second to react to a defender barreling straight into his already set in stone path with his helmet leading the way, deserved to get targeted because of a split second reaction??? You realize the defender had quite a bit more time to target this defenseless receiver, right? The responsibility lies on the defensive player in this situation.