• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

80s Metallica, 90s Alice in Chains or 00s System of a Down?

TrinDaddy

Trinconceivable!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
no, it's not. if you like Cannibal Corpse you may or may not like Blind Guardian, and vice versa
hell, 50% of supposed 'metalheads' I know can't stomach 'harsh vocals'

When you go to the commissary, would you like it if meat, bread, soda, canned veggies, were all randomly arranged on 2 aisles? Of course you would... hey 'they're all food. food is food'

*rolls eyes*

And if you like a shit load of metal written in languages that you can't speak or read you may not like Pantera. Fair enough. Makes sense.

Sorry, but I don't enjoy listening to music that I have to dedicate time to translating. I don't need to listen to the Japanese cover of Iron Maiden, or some viking based doom-metal out of Norway to feel satisfaction.

But I get it dude, I totally do. I listen to all kinds of music that will most likely never be picked up on a majority of people's radar. The only difference is I don't feel the need to tell people who like Jason Mraz that Owen is better, or dog on Kings of Leon because I'd rather put on some headphones and listen to the Heligoats.

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know playing the notes a different way doesn't make them different notes.

you do know that, for example, black metal uses tremelo picked atonal progressions in one tempo while death metal typically uses downtuned standard minor progressions while shifting between tempos ?
etc.

ChiefWhiteHorse

Scrofula
A little town called none of ya god damn bidness
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you do know that, for example, black metal uses tremelo picked atonal progressions in one tempo while death metal typically uses downtuned standard minor progressions while shifting between tempos ?
etc.

You don't need to use buzz words around me, you're not going to scare me off. Both of those "traits" refer to technique and not actual composition.

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't need to use buzz words around me, you're not going to scare me off. Both of those "traits" refer to technique and not actual composition.

right. the choice of chords, progressions, and tunings is not a mark of how you compose the song to be.

LMGAO

fail more .

ChiefWhiteHorse

Scrofula
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right. the choice of chords, progressions, and tunings is not a mark of how you compose the song to be.

LMGAO

fail more .

If you're talking about overall progression, what relevance are the choice of chords and tuning? Tuning doesn't effect the composition, it just effects WHERE notes on the neck are. Choice of chords is pretty trivial compared to the progression. The only thing modifying chords in a progression does (for example changing an A to an Asus4 or an A7) is slightly alter the sound. From a writing standpoint, that's pretty crucial, but doesn't it go back to my original point that metal is so homogenized that you have to have rigid classification to show difference? That's like saying two blues bands are in 2 different genres because one plays more 9th chords than 7th chords.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
etc.

In other words: Fast picked notes that aren't in a specific key(aka noise) that don't change tempo vs sad notes that do change in tempo. The fact that they are downtuned means nothing, it just puts lowers it into a different key. Your attempts at using big scary music theory words to try and seem smart and exaggerate the differences in your music are obvious even to people who don't know what you're talking about, I'm sure.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh yeah. I got a Washburn acoustic...bitches

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are obvious even to people who don't know what you're talking about, I'm sure.

As is your outright lie about me in that politics forum thread that you haven't backtracked for or explained yet.

but a bunch of your fanbois will go around negging me anyways

ChiefWhiteHorse

Scrofula
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As is your outright lie about me in that politics forum thread that you haven't backtracked for or explained yet.

but a bunch of your fanbois will go around negging me anyways

LOL Nice deflection. Just back down, you can't win this argument. You could own 100 guitars for all I care, doesn't mean you know how they work.

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're talking about overall progression, what relevance are the choice of chords and tuning? Tuning doesn't effect the composition, it just effects WHERE notes on the neck are.

Certain tunings afford the ability to play certain chords (realistically to those of us without 7 fingers or a 10" palm ) that others do not.

But... you supposedly play guitar and know that...
*rolls eyes*

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Nice deflection. Just back down, you can't win this argument. You could own 100 guitars for all I care, doesn't mean you know how they work.

I see you're as stupid as guitarmy.

You might know the whole discussion of what you're replying to, before replying to it. FOAD shithead.

ChiefWhiteHorse

Scrofula
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certain tunings afford the ability to play certain chords (realistically to those of us without 7 fingers or a 10" palm ) that others do not.

But... you supposedly play guitar and know that...
*rolls eyes*

Bullshit. Tuning differently doesn't restrict what chords you can play, it just changes the fingering up a bit.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Capos or Open Tunings are good for chords that are otherwise hard to play. Since pretty much every metal guitarist plays in either a lowered version of standard tuning, or a lowered version of drop D tuning, the argument doesn't really apply to metal.