• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8/3/2024 SF VS Cinci

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're both wrong. Checked with my Dominican buddy.

It's HAY- RAWR.
May be a good idea to let him know. And tell Flem. Flem has been pronouncing it wrong, apparently.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My buddy explained it like this:

Jesus = HAY-SUES
Jerar = HAY-RAWR.
Not everyone confirms to the “norm”.

I used to work with a guy named “Noel”. He pronounced it “Knoll’.

Everything I have researched tells me HE pronounces it Jer-R. The Giants broadcast team and BBRef both state that HE pronounces it Jer-R. If you disagree, I think it is a good idea for you to let him know he pronounces his name incorrectly.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not everyone confirms to the “norm”.

I used to work with a guy named “Noel”. He pronounced it “Knoll’.

Everything I have researched tells me HE pronounces it Jer-R. The Giants broadcast team and BBRef both state that HE pronounces it Jer-R. If you disagree, I think it is a good idea for you to let him know he pronounces his name incorrectly.
He's of course free to pronounce it any way he'd like. We can call him "Steve" if that's what he wants. All I'm saying is that this Jer-R thing wouldn't be the way he'd pronounce it back home. And its unlikely his family or friends back home pronounce it that way. He (or his agent) have Anglicized it. Probably because it's tough to say in English. Hay-Rawr is close but not exact, the first r is almost silent. It almost sounds like Hay-Lar. It's always funny to me how we anglicize some spanish words and not others. For instance "Arguello" (aka First Avenue in SF) is almost always pronounced R-gwel-o. It's R-gway-yo. We don't say Tor-TIL-uh, we say, correctly, Tor-tee-yuh.

Similarly, Ulloa avenue is mispronounced Yuh-low-uh, instead of Ooh-yo-uh.

/rant over

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's of course free to pronounce it any way he'd like. We can call him "Steve" if that's what he wants. All I'm saying is that this Jer-R thing wouldn't be the way he'd pronounce it back home. And its unlikely his family or friends back home pronounce it that way. He (or his agent) have Anglicized it. Probably because it's tough to say in English. Hay-Rawr is close but not exact, the first r is almost silent. It almost sounds like Hay-Lar. It's always funny to me how we anglicize some spanish words and not others. For instance "Arguello" (aka First Avenue in SF) is almost always pronounced R-gwel-o. It's R-gway-yo. We don't say Tor-TIL-uh, we say, correctly, Tor-tee-yuh.

Similarly, Ulloa avenue is mispronounced Yuh-low-uh, instead of Ooh-yo-uh.

/rant over
You can call him whatever you like, based on your understanding of what is “proper”.

I choose to respect his proper nouns.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another related thought. Why TF do franchises use Spanglish when they do alternative jerseys?

Los Bulls? Los Suns? Los Warriors? Stupid. Perfectly sound Spanish words like Toros, Soles, Guerreros. At least we get it right and use Gigantes. And the vermin incorrectly use Los Doyers when it should be Las Gilipollas.

Lastly, Utah should be disallowed from using The Jazz. Stupid. They should be The Bees and NO should retain The Jazz. I will allow the Univ. of Connecticut to continue to use Huskies because it's a good pun.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can call him whatever you like, based on your understanding of what is “proper”.

I choose to respect his proper nouns.
I agree he can call himself whatever he'd like. If he want GER-ARR then so be it. I'm just saying back home he's not called that. It got anglicized.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another related thought. Why TF do franchises use Spanglish when they do alternative jerseys?

Los Bulls? Los Suns? Los Warriors? Stupid. Perfectly sound Spanish words like Toros, Soles, Guerreros. At least we get it right and use Gigantes. And the vermin incorrectly use Los Doyers when it should be Las Gilipollas.

Lastly, Utah should be disallowed from using The Jazz. Stupid. They should be The Bees and NO should retain The Jazz. I will allow the Univ. of Connecticut to continue to use Huskies because it's a good pun.
The Jazz and the Lakers are hilarious team names. But both of those teams moved to their current locals WAY before the practice of team names staying behind with the cities upon moving (Not sure if this practice started with the Brown or the Sonics or the Expos??).

Heck, the Giants don’t make a lot of sense for a team based in SF. It does, though, make sense for a NY-based team. Same with the Trolly-Dodgers. The team from SF would make sense to have a team named the Trolly Dodgers, however.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

when i think Salt Lake City... I think Jazz baby..... yeah, right. If I was New Orleans I'd sue for cultural appropriation. They can be the Utah Pelicans (actually Utah Bees would be a great name - Jazz makes zero sense). LA Lakers have been around most of my life, so I've become used to it. Jazz, no