• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8/2 Strangers @ Scrabble

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just checked the box, and this was not as a result of the retarded new rule. This was entirely on Kapler. Triggs finished the 6th, so he was not required to face 3 batters.

WHY THE FUCK LEAVE HIM IN WHEN HE CLEARLY COULD NOT FIND THE ZONE TO SAVE HIS LIFE????

fair point, but phuking Triggs has to be better than this.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fair point, but phuking Triggs has to be better than this.
Well, sure. But he clearly didn’t have it. And it is the managers job to protect his players from meltdowns like that.

THREE WALKS!!

Not exaggerating, or stating as a joke...

I fully believe Kap thought Trigg had to stay in for 3 batters. Dude just doesn’t have the feel for the game.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just checked the box, and this was not as a result of the retarded new rule. This was entirely on Kapler. Triggs finished the 6th, so he was not required to face 3 batters.

WHY THE FUCK LEAVE HIM IN WHEN HE CLEARLY COULD NOT FIND THE ZONE TO SAVE HIS LIFE????
He did something similar with Rogers when he went out a 2nd inning and got walloped. Seems like this was something that he did in Philly as well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did something similar with Rogers when he went out a 2nd inning and got walloped. Seems like this was something that he did in Philly as well.
So, he tends to forget that he take a pitcher out?

He is losing me FAST...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is losing me FAST...
From the July 31st game:

Rogers subsequently hit Jurickson Profar to load the bases, setting up back-to-back RBI singles by Greg Garcia and Ty France and triggering a mound visit from pitching coach Andrew Bailey. Manager Gabe Kapler then tried to bring in Rico Garcia to face Austin Hedges, but he was denied a pitching change because Rogers was required to face at least one more batter following the visit from Bailey.

“That was just a mental screw-up on my part,” Kapler said. “I’ve been around the game for a long time, and I just had a lapse in memory.”

Rogers, who had retreated to the dugout, was forced to return to the mound and face Hedges, who brought in another run with a sacrifice bunt. Fernando Tatis Jr. later capped the Padres’ six-run inning with an RBI single off Garcia.

“Gabe is a standup guy,” said Rogers, who faced six batters in the 10th without recording an out. “When he makes a mistake, he’ll be the first one to say it. I told him, ‘It’s OK.’ Hopefully, if I would have just pitched a little better, he wouldn’t have had to do that.”

The blunder will raise questions about Kapler’s ability to manage a bullpen, which also came under scrutiny during his two-year tenure with the Phillies. In his first weekend in Philadelphia in 2018, a miscommunication between the dugout and the bullpen led Kapler to bring reliever Hoby Milner into a game without Milner having thrown a single warm-up pitch.

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is losing me FAST...

He made a booboo. Hopefully he learns and doesn’t make the same booboo. You’re right, he’s losing me fast too.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the July 31st game:

Rogers subsequently hit Jurickson Profar to load the bases, setting up back-to-back RBI singles by Greg Garcia and Ty France and triggering a mound visit from pitching coach Andrew Bailey. Manager Gabe Kapler then tried to bring in Rico Garcia to face Austin Hedges, but he was denied a pitching change because Rogers was required to face at least one more batter following the visit from Bailey.

“That was just a mental screw-up on my part,” Kapler said. “I’ve been around the game for a long time, and I just had a lapse in memory.”

Rogers, who had retreated to the dugout, was forced to return to the mound and face Hedges, who brought in another run with a sacrifice bunt. Fernando Tatis Jr. later capped the Padres’ six-run inning with an RBI single off Garcia.

“Gabe is a standup guy,” said Rogers, who faced six batters in the 10th without recording an out. “When he makes a mistake, he’ll be the first one to say it. I told him, ‘It’s OK.’ Hopefully, if I would have just pitched a little better, he wouldn’t have had to do that.”

The blunder will raise questions about Kapler’s ability to manage a bullpen, which also came under scrutiny during his two-year tenure with the Phillies. In his first weekend in Philadelphia in 2018, a miscommunication between the dugout and the bullpen led Kapler to bring reliever Hoby Milner into a game without Milner having thrown a single warm-up pitch.
Oh, you were referring to THAT situation...

yeah, that is different. A second visit to the mound by a coach during the same AB (excluding injury visits) results in the ejection of the manager right away and essentially the ejection of the pitcher after that AB. A new pitcher will need to come in for the next batter, but will be given as much time as needed to warm up. The umps totally screwed up the Mattingly situation, btw. These rules were in affect during that fiasco.

my question about the Kapler brain fart, though, is could Bailey have removed the pitcher? Or is the manager the only coach who can remove a pitcher?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, you were referring to THAT situation...

yeah, that is different. A second visit to the mound by a coach during the same AB (excluding injury visits) results to the ejection of the manager right away and essentially the ejection of the pitcher after that AB. A new pitcher will need to come in for the next batter, but will be given as much time as needed to warm up. The umps totally screwed up the Mattingly situation, btw. These rules were in affect during that fiasco.

my question about the Kapler brain fart, though, is could Bailey have removed the pitcher? Or is the manager the only coach who can remove a pitcher?
My point is that has a history of brain farts with relief pitchers. I guess every manager is going to have some weakness in managing.
I don't think pitching coaches can take out a pitcher. I believe it has to be the manager.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, sure. But he clearly didn’t have it. And it is the managers job to protect his players from meltdowns like that.

THREE WALKS!!

Not exaggerating, or stating as a joke...

I fully believe Kap thought Trigg had to stay in for 3 batters. Dude just doesn’t have the feel for the game.

If that's true, then he needs to be replaced soon.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's true, then he needs to be replaced soon.
That’s the prob with making the same mistake twice in just a few years in regards to replacing a pitcher. Any time anything weird happens after that immediately gets people thinking the worst of you.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s the prob with making the same mistake twice in just a few years in regards to replacing a pitcher. Any time anything weird happens after that immediately gets people thinking the worst of you.

I'm thinking more in terms of two screw ups in a WEEK, if the Triggs decision was a lack of knowledge of the 3 batter rule. Can't have a manager who doesn't understand the basics...