• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8/14 Birds @ El Dia de Cueto

fullxtension

Sensei
Hoopla Cash
$ 21,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we don't get a closer, the season is lost. This is not funny anymore. It's beyond torture. It's bloody screaming murder. Madbum and Cueto have got to be so angry. This has me questioning whether Rags has lost his edge.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am wondering how much of that game falls on Brown.

Ultimately, the pitch selection falls on the pitcher, of course. The catcher only recommends pitches, and the pitcher has to throw it. But if Casilla was truly struggling with the curve, why wasn't Browny mire forceful about going with a different pitch? If Posey were back there, would he have called for the curve? If he called for something else, would ge have been shaken off?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am wondering how much of that game falls on Brown.

Ultimately, the pitch selection falls on the pitcher, of course. The catcher only recommends pitches, and the pitcher has to throw it. But if Casilla was truly struggling with the curve, why wasn't Browny mire forceful about going with a different pitch? If Posey were back there, would he have called for the curve? If he called for something else, would ge have been shaken off?
If you are the rookie back up catcher and your veteran closer wanted to continue throwing the curve, how much sway would you really have in the situation?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish. in 2010 willie had 48 sv 5 blsv 1.81 era. Casilla already has 6 with 3.28 era. His era has steadily climbed the last 3 yrs.

He was impersonating Armando Benitez and did a great job of doing it. Maybe he can manage not to blow another save before the end of the homestand. Giants' opponents can still feel comfortable when falling behind by a few runs early, even at AT&T Park.

My comment was made before the 3 run home run and had to do with putting runners on before closing it out. It felt like Wilson did that regularly.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My comment was made before the 3 run home run and had to do with putting runners on before closing it out. It felt like Wilson did that regularly.
He did but he seemingly always managed to escape the jam. Lord knows how.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are the rookie back up catcher and your veteran closer wanted to continue throwing the curve, how much sway would you really have in the situation?
Kinda my point. He just doesn't have the cache to notice the curve isn't working ad call for something else, so instead he puts down what Casilla wants. Posey has the "power" to change these guys' mind, and maybe would have called for something else, or headed out for a chat, or whatever.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda my point. He just doesn't have the cache to notice the curve isn't working ad call for something else, so instead he puts down what Casilla wants. Posey has the "power" to change these guys' mind, and maybe would have called for something else, or headed out for a chat, or whatever.

No disrespect to Brown, but I think Posey would have kept Casilla from throwing the curveball in that situation.

Also, in a similar situation vs. Washington two Sundays ago, he pitched aggressively to Murphy as the tying run and struck him out on 3 pitches to end that game. Yesterday, he pitched passively to Trumbo prior to Schoop's HR, and he paid the price for it.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just thinking: Scott Cousins.
775664.jpg

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Casilla falls in love with that curveball, he gets into trouble. 12 of the 23 pitches he threw were curveballs, 7 were good, 2 were easy takes, 2 were t-ball location. The way he was throwing, you thought maybe he didn't have a good feeling of his fastball. He has a great cruveball, but he also hast a great fastball and slider, he just didn't throw them yesterday.

I don't think Posey would have made much difference. Casilla is head-strong, stubborn. This is the guy who openly lashed out at Bochy for taking him out of a game.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we don't get a closer, the season is lost. This is not funny anymore. It's beyond torture. It's bloody screaming murder. Madbum and Cueto have got to be so angry. This has me questioning whether Rags has lost his edge.

Cueto didn't exactly help his own cause in the 7th.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cueto didn't exactly help his own cause in the 7th.

Have to think how Cueto's consistently high pitch counts from earlier in the season have been affecting him in the later innings of his recent starts after the break.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to think how Cueto's consistently high pitch counts from earlier in the season have been affecting him in the later innings of his recent starts after the break.

I was thinking this yesterday, but didn't care to look at the numbers. It does seem like he's just completely losing it in the 7th inning lately.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems a bit of a stretch to place any blame on Brown. Casilla, I'm pretty sure, has melted down with Posey catching too.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems a bit of a stretch to place any blame on Brown. Casilla, I'm pretty sure, has melted down with Posey catching too.
I said "blame" (ok, not the actual word, but the idea of the word), but it was more in a general sense. Like you can "blame" anyone inexperienced for doing something that a more experienced person would not do.

I also said that ultimately it 100% falls on Casilla because the catcher never calls a game, he suggests a game.

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a 6 run lead. His strategy shifts and his concentration changes. Cant put any of this on JC...

A 6-run lead with one of the highest scoring teams in baseball, with the most homers? I'm not fully blaming him, but you can't lose your concentration to a team like that. This is still on Casilla mostly. Strick did a nice job of getting out of the 7th, and honestly made good pitches in the 8th, just got beat by better hitting. Law lwt a runner score.