• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #70 - Meow - 7:30PM

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, can't win the all....... but we lost to Florida! :doh:

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah that was a horrible effort, they miss ralphie. that guy sparks this team

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that 29 shots in the third period and total anialation really shows how lazy the sharks are when it comes to a 60 minute hockey game. Where was that kind of effort earlier in the game? I'll let this one slide because they just came off a road trip. No time to play 20-40 minute games, we need to take home ice over Anaheim.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
just got home... here are the thoughts:

First the good:

1. Sharks dominated the vast majority of the game. Basically the whole game other than a 5-8 minute stretch of the 2nd period. Sadly, that was enough to lose, but the sharks were by far and away the better team.

2. The D outside of the old guys (this will be addressed later) were solid and gave florida basically nearly nothing.

3. I love seeing havlat score. He's been making meaningful contributions and has been a nice addition to a suddenly solid 3rd line with shep and wingels. I would still love to see torres in the lineup, but not in place of havlat and instead in place of burish.

The bad:

1. Burish. This guy is just terrible, he makes a horrific turnover that almost least to a goal, then takes a penalty. He is not NHL material. I know he has 2 more years left on his deal, but dougie would be wise to trade him if possible and if not, buy him out. Eriah hayes or bracken kearns is better. Besides when hertl comes back next year, he will be like the #15 forward.

2. The old guys on D. I'll start with Hannan. Simply put, he sucks. He's a liability. I mean, -3 in just 15+ mins of ice time? and several blown coverages. He actually coulda been -4 or -5. He is old, slow and does not belong. Against even better teams, they will light him up.

Dan Boyle. He's a minus player, by far the biggest minus among the D, and for good reason. He is losing battles, losing coverage, and just a step slow which for a player of his size is not acceptable. And, he's not matching up against top opponents as that's really been pickles and braun. Even worse than his D zone play is his PP play. I am absolutely convinced that the PP issues are squarely because of boyle. He hasnt score in well over 2 months (1/9 was the last one). He likely has had roughly100+ mins of PP time in that span, and nearly always on the #1 PP unit starting off in the zone. Tonight he missed multiple open nets (the 5 on 3 most glaring) and turned over a bunch of pucks. I love his heart, but he is killing the PP. Demers needs to be on the #1 unit and it's time to give boyle some time off the PP and see how it goes.

3. Our friend nemo is back. none of the goals were *terrible, but at least 2 likely shoulda been stopped. In fact, of course he did half stop both. That said, give up those two bang-bang was a killer and nemo has gotta be better.

4. Screens. Screens mean the goalie cant see it. Not standing on the side hoping for a rebound. I cannot count how many good point shots got eaten by luongo cuz he saw it all the way. How many lidstrom goals came because holmstrom's fat ass was screening. The sharks forwards are big, but they stand to the side looking for either a cute pass or tap in rebound. Sometimes those happen, but I would realllly like to see a guy like jumbo or patty use the 220+ body to screen in front.

5. overpassing. I cant believe on a night of 50+ shots, I can say this, but in all honestly, there were a ton of open looks that the sharks passed up in trying to be too cute and get the tap in. Even the magnificent pass from havlat to pavs at the end really should have been a shot. Jumbo had sent the cross ice pass and havlat should rip that one-time with pavs in front for a rebound. I think they could have had 70 shots if not for overpassing.

Overall, they were the better team, but the PP is still totally broken and Nemo is so painstakingly inconsistent. In other words, the faults that have plagued the sharks the last several months were on full display tonight. Tmac had better figure out the PP and fast, because going 4-70 or whatever it is over several months is not gunna cut it. And, at least a few of those PP goals were not actually from zone set up but instead either broken lucky plays on the rush like havlat's tonight or other ones on the rush. They zone play is atrocious, and it's just not working. Tmac needs to get that in order, because you cannot beat good teams consistently without a dangerous PP.

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ice was terrible tonight. Im not blaming environmental factors for the loss because clearly Niemi earned the loss on his own but dang that ice was bad.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah that was a horrible effort, they miss ralphie. that guy sparks this team

I agree, especially tonight. I agree with Rules too that Rubbish and Boyle are liabilities on this team now. Stuart is about ready to come back. Who sits? It will probably be Irwin sitting but Boyle could use a rest too and maybe Hannan. Accountability and Boyle and Rubbish need to be accountable.

Rubbish, I don't know if his back is still hurting, but he is completely lost out there. I will guarantee right now on Thursday that he will not be in the lineup. Torres if healthy, or Brown. But I would prefer Kearns if Torres can't go. I mentioned a few weeks ago that Kearns is better than Rubbish, but the contract means Rubbish has to stay. Dougie that was a bad bad signing and there were a few on this board (not me) who knew that was going to true back then. They were smarter than Dougie on that one. I mean what does Rubbish do? A quote from Rudy: "Your five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin' and have hardly a spec of athletic ability", that is Rubbish, and he looks like a fricking hobbit reject from the Lord of the Rings too. There is no room on this team for him now and for what little he offers.