• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 7/30 Gs@dogs

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do your research.

Dude, I know you guys won in 1988 (my third year of living in Pasadena after moving from the Bay Area. In fact, we were driving across the Bay Bridge, visiting family, when we heard Gibson's shot off of Eckersley.

On the Mouse (ESPN) board, we used to get no end of crap from Dodger fans, most of it friendly, with posts like this:

giants_empty_trophy_case.jpg

So since the Giants have won three in the recent past, it is some friendly banter back at arguably the best team in baseball right now.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was ten. Feels like yesterday honestly.

You know what feels like yesterday? 2010. Actually 2012 feels even more like yesterday. 2014 feels like 2 hours ago.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, I know you guys won in 1988 (my third year of living in Pasadena after moving from the Bay Area. In fact, we were driving across the Bay Bridge, visiting family, when we heard Gibson's shot off of Eckersley.

On the Mouse (ESPN) board, we used to get no end of crap from Dodger fans, most of it friendly, with posts like this:

So since the Giants have won three in the recent past, it is some friendly banter back at arguably the best team in baseball right now.

Don't explain. Keep going.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like msg said, no reason to explain. LASportz understands. He was just standing up, best he can, for his franchise.

Most of the dog fans here are actually pretty cool, LASportz included. We have owned everything since '88 (we have had 5 WS appearances since their last). They have this year. Let them have it. It will just add to the rivalry.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like msg said, no reason to explain. LASportz understands. He was just standing up, best he can, for his franchise.

Most of the dog fans here are actually pretty cool, LASportz included. We have owned everything since '88 (we have had 5 WS appearances since their last). They have this year. Let them have it. It will just add to the rivalry.

Yep. We may only have a couple more months to talk smack with real authorty like this

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubbies got Wilson and Avila from the Tigers. The dogs were rumored to be going after Wilson.

The Cubs are in 1st in the Central now, and they are still the same team that ran roughshod over the league last year.

Is it time for me to add the cubbies to my list of favorite teams again???

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without rivals, baseball would be "meh."

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without rivals, baseball would be "meh."

True that. During the McCourt era, while many Giants fans were giddy, I hated that the Dodgers were so awful, and that their mistakes just seemed to compound.

It is best for the rivalry and for baseball if the Giants and Dodgers field really good teams, and play compelling baseball. While the Giants got swept this weekend, the games were all compelling. Alas, it is hard to find compelling baseball when one is 34.5 games behind the leaders.

So while I may selfishly enjoy seeing the Dodgers lose and the Giants win, I will never rejoice that the Dodgers are a bad team. But relax, it doesn't appear that will be the case for quite some time with their current young talent and a manager who keeps getting better and better.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But as was posted above, baseball playoffs are crapshoots, much more so than NFL or NBA, so finishing the regular season with a monster record gives you an edge but you still have to have players that step it up or rise to the occasion (or substitute other cliché) come Oct.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But as was posted above, baseball playoffs are crapshoots, much more so than NFL or NBA, so finishing the regular season with a monster record gives you an edge but you still have to have players that step it up or rise to the occasion (or substitute other cliché) come Oct.
I am not certain that the playoffs are as much of a crapshoot as everyone likes to claim. If you don't believe in clutch, than sure, it is a crapshoot. But no one can tell me that Bums big-game dominance is just a SSS anomaly.

MLB is like a biathlon. It starts with a marathon, and the top 10 teams move on to the sprint portion of the competition. The sports are very similar, but very different as well. Kind of like if the WSOP played limit until the final table when it finally changes to no-limit. The basic rules if the game are the same, but they are two entirely different games at the same time.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not certain that the playoffs are as much of a crapshoot as everyone likes to claim. If you don't believe in clutch, than sure, it is a crapshoot. But no one can tell me that Bums big-game dominance is just a SSS anomaly.

MLB is like a biathlon. It starts with a marathon, and the top 10 teams move on to the sprint portion of the competition. The sports are very similar, but very different as well. Kind of like if the WSOP played limit until the final table when it finally changes to no-limit. The basic rules if the game are the same, but they are two entirely different games at the same time.
Well let me try this tack: The Gs were never favored in any of the playoffs in those five years, be it a play in game, a 5 game series or a 7 game series. Now do you see how some believe MLB is more of a crapshoot?

Oh, I stop by Phillies forum on occasion, and they are still resentful of '10 :dhd:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well let me try this tack: The Gs were never favored in any of the playoffs in those five years, be it a play in game, a 5 game series or a 7 game series. Now do you see how some believe MLB is more of a crapshoot?

Oh, I stop by Phillies forum on occasion, and they are still resentful of '10 :dhd:
So if a team wins 11 consecutive rounds against expectations, and was 1 BP implosion away from taking the 12th round to a loser-go-home game, I think you need to begin to reevaluate how you base your expectations.

11 in a row is not dumb luck. Luck is involved, of course. But there is more to it than just dumb luck.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Cal said ... there is an element of luck ... but there are other considerations as well ... IMHO the SF teams were always under rated because their team offense was never anything to brag about. It was adequate at best ... but ... they always had pitching ... pitching that could dominate through a series ... any series. Most teams that we played in the WS were considered very very offensive oriented. . DET was supposed to take us out with their offense. That didn't happen. As they say ... great pitching will stop great hitting ... in all 3 WS we had a great SP rotation as well as a very good pen. Over a 162 game schedule I think that hitting can carry a team .... but in an 18 game mini-season (playoffs) ... pitching can dominate ... and I think we proved that

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True that. During the McCourt era, while many Giants fans were giddy, I hated that the Dodgers were so awful, and that their mistakes just seemed to compound.

It is best for the rivalry and for baseball if the Giants and Dodgers field really good teams, and play compelling baseball. While the Giants got swept this weekend, the games were all compelling. Alas, it is hard to find compelling baseball when one is 34.5 games behind the leaders.

So while I may selfishly enjoy seeing the Dodgers lose and the Giants win, I will never rejoice that the Dodgers are a bad team. But relax, it doesn't appear that will be the case for quite some time with their current young talent and a manager who keeps getting better and better.

The fascinating aspect of the McCourt era is that the Dodgers went to back to back NLCSs against the Phillies. There were short term results during his ownership tenure. However (and more to your point), McCourt decimated the farm system with shortsightedness and bankrupted the team prior to the Guggenheim Ownership Miracle. You will recall MLB and Bud Selig stepping in to ensure McCourt made payroll and then forced him to sell. We love Bud Selig.

Did you know that McCourt still own the parking lot at Dodger Stadium?!!? He would not include it in the sale. The guy is such a huckster.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fascinating aspect of the McCourt era is that the Dodgers went to back to back NLCSs against the Phillies. There were short term results during his ownership tenure. However (and more to your point), McCourt decimated the farm system with shortsightedness and bankrupted the team prior to the Guggenheim Ownership Miracle. You will recall MLB and Bud Selig stepping in to ensure McCourt made payroll and then forced him to sell. We love Bud Selig.

Did you know that McCourt still own the parking lot at Dodger Stadium?!!? He would not include it in the sale. The guy is such a huckster.
I vaguely remember all that. Didn't he split up all the dodger assets (such as the parking lot) into separate companies to hide his profits from MLB? And doesn't he still own many of those sub-assets (again, such as the parking lots).

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I vaguely remember all that. Didn't he split up all the dodger assets (such as the parking lot) into separate companies to hide his profits from MLB? And doesn't he still own many of those sub-assets (again, such as the parking lots).

That makes sense as I recall.... I do not know if the motive is as you describe it, but you are probably right just he would never admit that.

I believe the parking lot is the only asset he still owns. I Uber to games for that reason ;)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes sense as I recall.... I do not know if the motive is as you describe it, but you are probably right just he would never admit that.

I believe the parking lot is the only asset he still owns. I Uber to games for that reason ;)

I used to live in South Pasadena. We could get to the games in under 15 minutes. We'd park in the "secret" lot behind the 76 station.