• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

7/26/14 GDT Kershaws @ Strongs

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Half game back now. Not the end of the world though. We need to get healthy quick.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers shut out Giants 5-0 on Kershaw gem

All Kershaw 24 hours a day pitching clinic as Dodgers win 5-0. And that's the way it was July 26th,2014

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Kershaw is real tough but the all the Giants need to go into the film room and do more work in there. They also need to find a BP pitcher that resembles Kershaw and take as many swings off him as possible. Kershaw is not going anywhere soon and so are the Giants if they don't crack down harder and find a angle.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants have one XBH (a double) in the last four games. (20 hits in 4 games, 19 singles)

Only 7 balls to the outfield today.

Tip of the cap to Kershaw. He's nails. Our hitting, even on the best of days, is not. Today was not the best of days.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the giants lose the first two against Pit, should Sabes even try to get anything additional?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the giants lose the first two against Pit, should Sabes even try to get anything additional?

tzill says, "Sell! Sell! Sell!"

I am ambivalent. This is a good team, but we are not showing much. Of course we have injuries, everyone has injuries. I would not be inclined to go get anyone. It smacks of desperation. And really, whoever we get will cost a poopload of money. And we have already gone through what, 6-7 second basemen this year (HicKs, Panik, EA, Arias, Uggla, Scoots, ?????). Anyone we get would not be any better than those guys, without paying a steep price.

If we could miraculously get Price, I'd be for it, but it ain't gonna happen.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw this: one earned run in the past 33 innings against the other teams' starters.

Burnett - 8 IP, 0 ER
Hamels - 8 IP, 1 ER
Greinke - 8 iP, 0 ER
Kershaw - 9 IP, 0 ER

Ouch!

11th shutout of the year tonight

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To take it further, if the Giants do not go 2-1 or better in the next 3 games, I do not want any more trades before the first deadline.

Call me a shitter if you like, but this team can't hang with the big boys, so no reason to spend more assets to support it.

If the foundation is cracked, you don't spend money on new windows.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To take it further, if the Giants do not go 2-1 or better in the next 3 games, I do not want any more trades before the first deadline.

Call me a shitter if you like, but this team can't hang with the big boys, so no reason to spend more assets to support it.

If the foundation is cracked, you don't spend money on new windows.

The cracked foundation has the Giants at half a game back in late July. Who are the "big boys?" I haven't seen any team in the NL that can make that statement this season. The Giants are 3 additions away from setting themselves apart: Belt, Pagan and a second baseman. 2 of those, they don't need to give away any assets.

Sheesh, we took 3 out of 4 in Philly, then lost 3 straight to 3 of the best pitchers in the game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cracked foundation has the Giants at half a game back in late July. Who are the "big boys?" I haven't seen any team in the NL that can make that statement this season. The Giants are 3 additions away from setting themselves apart: Belt, Pagan and a second baseman. 2 of those, they don't need to give away any assets.

Sheesh, we took 3 out of 4 in Philly, then lost 3 straight to 3 of the best pitchers in the game.

It's strange, every team's fan base sees their teams the same way. We see the Dogs and their pitching and their hitting, and Dodger fans see a clubhouse in turmoil, a manager who can't manage, a prima donna in Puig, and a gazillion dollar payroll that can't get a decent bullpen together. They look at our bullpen and say, "Man, if we had the Giants' bullpen, we'd be set."

We are far more aware of our own teams weaknesses, and not as aware as others are of our team's strengths. When we play stretches like this with miserable results, it is easy to be down on the team, and magnify the flaws.

I hope Sabes makes a good move or two. He had to get Peavy or someone. I hope Belt comes back healthy. I hope Hacktor comes back healthy. I hope Cain comes back healthy. I hope we don't trade the farm for another China Doll/Savior like Beltran, who disappointed hugely, until it didn't matter anymore. We have some good arms on the farm, and need to work on developing some hitters.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's strange, every team's fan base sees their teams the same way. We see the Dogs and their pitching and their hitting, and Dodger fans see a clubhouse in turmoil, a manager who can't manage, a prima donna in Puig, and a gazillion dollar payroll that can't get a decent bullpen together. They look at our bullpen and say, "Man, if we had the Giants' bullpen, we'd be set."

We are far more aware of our own teams weaknesses, and not as aware as others are of our team's strengths. When we play stretches like this with miserable results, it is easy to be down on the team, and magnify the flaws.

I hope Sabes makes a good move or two. He had to get Peavy or someone. I hope Belt comes back healthy. I hope Hacktor comes back healthy. I hope Cain comes back healthy. I hope we don't trade the farm for another China Doll/Savior like Beltran, who disappointed hugely, until it didn't matter anymore. We have some good arms on the farm, and need to work on developing some hitters.

Certainly, it's all part of being a fan. We only see LA's or other team's strengths because because we don't give a rat's ass about them enough to be concerned. But we so quickly and easily see the flaws in SF because we are so invested in them, and care so much about them that we want to see them be better.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Belt may be back. He may not. Concussions are "funny" like that. Lets assume he will be back within the week, for discussion purposes.

Pagan is getting a LOT of heat on KNBR ("We are not blaming him for this, it is just who he is") the last week or so about how he needs to be basically 100% before he will take the field. I dont know how accurate that is, but this is the second season in a row he has missed extended time while the team continues to think he was just around the corner from being ready to play. I will pencil him in the lineup only when he actually steps in the box to take an AB. Not a second beforehand.

Getting a 2B will cost us an arm and a bat just to get an OK player (Murphy). It seems Utley wants to stay put and the Rays may be taking themselves out of the sell market.

3 out of 4 from Philly is nice. But the Phils S.U.C.K. Our offense showed up because that stadium is a friggin band-box. We play against a legit playoff team (and maybe we are one as well), and we get absolutely destroyed in the first two games. "Well, they set up their rotation to face us with their top 3 pitchers." Who gives a fuck! If we were to meet them in the playoffs, do you expect that we would miss their top 3 pitchers?

I think our pitching is passable to get it done in the playoffs. We have 1 legit ace who can go against any other pitcher in the Bigs. We have 2 other pitchers who can be passable as legit #2s for a playoff team. We may then be able to scrounge together enough innings out of the two #4s we have and our elite bully to get the job done.

The problem is that our offense is just a joke. You can tuck yourself in at night with the "It was Kershaw and Greinke" excuse. As I said earlier, that excuse is BS. We have been doing this for the last 8 weeks against Joe Blow and Steve Schmoe as well as Clayton Kershaw and Zack Greinke. This offense is either complete shit, or we have the worst luck in the history of baseball where we are getting every pitchers career best game every night.

I will grant you the excuse that we have been decimated by injuries. Sure, that is legit. That is why I am not laying any of this at Boch or Sabes feet. But that does not change the fact that this team's offense simply cannot compete with the better teams in the league. Beating the Marlins and Phillies is nice, but that is expected. If we continue to REGULARLY get blown out by teams we may face in the postseason, why sell our souls just to get to the postseason?

If we do not win 2 of the next 3 games AT HOME, than I do not want any more trades that cost us anything of any value whatsoever. I am not saying we should be sellers. That is simply not the Giants way. But I do not want Crick or Susac or Brown or Blackburn or Mejia or Okert or Hall or Duffy traded to assist this team. If they go on a tear in August, and some of the injured players return, than I am OK with re-assessing the situation at that time to see about any trades.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you had ten Baby Giants who are untouchable in trades, who would they be for you, Cal?

1. Crick
2. Susac (can't be traded now anyway)
3. Blackburn
4. Okert
5. Mejia
6. Hall
7. Duffy
8. Panik (does he count still?)
9. Williamson
10. Law/Osich

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw this: one earned run in the past 33 innings against the other teams' starters.

Burnett - 8 IP, 0 ER
Hamels - 8 IP, 1 ER
Greinke - 8 iP, 0 ER
Kershaw - 9 IP, 0 ER

Ouch!

11th shutout of the year tonight

To be fair, three of those four pitchers are among the best pitchers in the NL.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

THIS. EXACTLY THIS.

THIS is why tzill was pissing us off. All he can see is the Giants flaws, which of course they have. There was NO accounting for their strengths,or the OTHER teams' flaws, or their injured players coming back, or how well they played when healthy, etc.

They may fall short, even if they add another guy. But they are EVERY BIT as playoff worthy as the other 6-8 teams in the mix.

That said, the Dodgers starting pitching is scary good, like 2010 Giants good. If they make the playoffs (especially if they win the West), I think they win the NL on the pitching which we all know is what counts.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also exactly this. Well said. 2 whole months left, if we get healthy it comes down to the wire. If not, then not. But healthy we can play with anyone.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also exactly this. Well said. 2 whole months left, if we get healthy it comes down to the wire. If not, then not. But healthy we can play with anyone.

I agree. But what do you mean by healthy?

Do you count Cain and/or Scutaro in that statement? Pagan?

Pagan MIGHT be back, but I would not bet the farm on that. Cain and Scoots? I would not bet lunch.

So you are talking about EA, Belt and Hactor. Belt will help, and realistically, I expect him back. I like EA, but will he make that big of a difference in a playoff push? I am not a Hactor-hater like many in he 'Fringe, but he also would make little difference in a playoff push.

Like I said earlier, I agree that injuries are the primary reason we are where we are. But how we got here is not the point. Where we are is the point.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS. EXACTLY THIS.

THIS is why tzill was pissing us off. All he can see is the Giants flaws, which of course they have. There was NO accounting for their strengths,or the OTHER teams' flaws, or their injured players coming back, or how well they played when healthy, etc.

They may fall short, even if they add another guy. But they are EVERY BIT as playoff worthy as the other 6-8 teams in the mix.

That said, the Dodgers starting pitching is scary good, like 2010 Giants good. If they make the playoffs (especially if they win the West), I think they win the NL on the pitching which we all know is what counts.

While I agree I don't think it's that simple. Do you think the Doggies reallty want our pen? Look at the stats in some detail. We may look good to US but we have blown twice as many saves as their pen. It's about the point of view. I also think that fans do see their teams flaws but they are magnified beyond reality. Why, because they frustrate the crap out of us. I also think that even a team with lousy chemistry but tons of talent (Doggies) can go on some damn impressive runs. LA played at a 42-8 rate last year. Teams with issues in the talent area (like us) need to replace parts to fix it. Much more difficult.What would we all think if the Doggies pick up Price while we try and fix our issues with Uggla and Peavy? I think their moves will be for an extended run in the playoff (doesn't mean they work). Ours, on the other hand are about getting to the playoffs. We are both going to be buyers but each with a different intention. Unlimited funds make the landscape much different for the Doggies fans.