• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 7.19 Strip @ Queen City

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phuking shitshow in the second. VR -- awful, Wise -- awful. This is how you lose games.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a terrible game. Strip did well except for one inning. He went six and saved a worn out pen. Hitters looked tired and overmatched by mediocre Reds pitchers. Except for Diaz sho looked unhittable. Not sure what the Giants see in Wisely.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a terrible game. Strip did well except for one inning. He went six and saved a worn out pen. Hitters looked tired and overmatched by mediocre Reds pitchers. Except for Diaz sho looked unhittable. Not sure what the Giants see in Wisely.
Yeah, I don't get the love for Wisely either. He looked good with the Rays' farm last year and started spring training well but he hasn't even gotten close to hitting in the big leagues. I'd like to see him swapped with Wilson or Fitzgerald.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't get the love for Wisely either. He looked good with the Rays' farm last year and started spring training well but he hasn't even gotten close to hitting in the big leagues. I'd like to see him swapped with Wilson or Fitzgerald.
He is a pretty selective hitter. I enjoy his ABs.

That said, VR and Joc were disappointing today. All in all, an acceptable loss. Strip was encouraging and Walker saved the bully.

Cobb, Bailey, maybe LWJ going tomorrow, doyers lost today. Fresh bullpen. Let's take the series and head to DC.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a pretty selective hitter. I enjoy his ABs.

That said, VR and Joc were disappointing today. All in all, an acceptable loss. Strip was encouraging and Walker saved the bully.

Cobb, Bailey, maybe LWJ going tomorrow, doyers lost today. Fresh bullpen. Let's take the series and head to DC.
Well, he is a hitter, in terms of the fact that he holds a bat tries to hit the ball. Not sure his numbers really suggest his an MLB hitter thus far. VR's numbers this year are better than his.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if the Giants trade Joc. All I have seen in these three games are a bunch of Huffers (gb to 2nd).
I doubt it. The Giants are in full buy-mode. And as much as I am not a Joc fan, when he is hot, he can carry the team. Unless we happen to land Ohtani, I see next to zero chance Joc is traded. Heck, even if we land Ohtani, I don’t see Joc getting traded.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it. The Giants are in full buy-mode. And as much as I am not a Joc fan, when he is hot, he can carry the team. Unless we happen to land Ohtani, I see next to zero chance Joc is traded. Heck, even if we land Ohtani, I don’t see Joc getting traded.
If we land Ohtani, that means a lot more outfield time for Pederson and that would not be good, even if his bat gets hot (but especially bad during the cold spells). Apparently, the Giants' outfield defense is not looking too good this year. That has led an MLB Trade Rumor writer to suggest that the Giants would be a good fit for Cody Bellinger.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we land Ohtani, that means a lot more outfield time for Pederson and that would not be good, even if his bat gets hot (but especially bad during the cold spells). Apparently, the Giants' outfield defense is not looking too good this year. That has led an MLB Trade Rumor writer to suggest that the Giants would be a good fit for Cody Bellinger.

Bruh if we land Ohtani I'm not gonna worry too much about Joc's outfield defense.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruh if we land Ohtani I'm not gonna worry too much about Joc's outfield defense.
Bruh, I think you over look the outfield defense to your detriment. If Ohtani adds two runs on the offensive side, it won't matter if the outfield defense gives up 3 runs in the process.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruh, I think you over look the outfield defense to your detriment. If Ohtani adds two runs on the offensive side, it won't matter if the outfield defense gives up 3 runs in the process.
I think you're missing the relative value of each, and not even factoring in Ohtani shoring up the rotation. Come on man, would we hesitate because of that?

If we get Ohtani we don't need the much lesser lefty DH (Joc) in the lineup anyway.

In the end I very much doubt we do so this is moot.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're missing the relative value of each
I think we may disagree on this one. Do you remember how awful Pederson's defense was last year? It practically canceled out his offensive contributions. An outfield of Pederson, Yastrzemski and Conforto would not be good. If Ohtani is that much of a game changer for a team, why hasn't the Angels been able to finish more than 80-82 in any season he has played with them? It is hardly because they have lacked in talent around him. They have been hit with more injuries than the Giants have but it is still puzzling that they have been so bad in the 6 years he's played with them. I would suggest that he doesn't add as much value as people think he does. Don't get me wrong, he adds a lot of value but I think the expectations are way inflated.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we may disagree on this one. Do you remember how awful Pederson's defense was last year? It practically canceled out his offensive contributions. An outfield of Pederson, Yastrzemski and Conforto would not be good. If Ohtani is that much of a game changer for a team, why hasn't the Angels been able to finish more than 80-82 in any season he has played with them? It is hardly because they have lacked in talent around him. They have been hit with more injuries than the Giants have but it is still puzzling that they have been so bad in the 6 years he's played with them. I would suggest that he doesn't add as much value as people think he does. Don't get me wrong, he adds a lot of value but I think the expectations are way inflated.
I guess I'm caught off guard by a take that basically says we shouldn't want Ohtani because of this issue.

I know your philosophy is to never ever trade prospects, and a case can be made that it's not worth it for a 2 month rental, but to go so far as to doubt Ohtani's value is surprising to me.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm caught off guard by a take that basically says we shouldn't want Ohtani because of this issue.

I know your philosophy is to never ever trade prospects, and a case can be made that it's not worth it for a 2 month rental, but to go so far as to doubt Ohtani's value is surprising to me.
I'm not trying to say that we don't get Ohtani. I'm leery about acquiring him for two months with no guarantee of keeping him (yes, I hate prospects getting traded but am mellowing on that somewhat. Ohtani would be worth it if we could keep him). I'm fine with going after him in free agency. I think he is a generational talent. He would be great for ticket and souvenir sales. However, I don't think that he is enough to overcome a really horrible outfield defense. Pederson's defense is generational in the sense of how awful it is and, I think, it would neutralize some of Ohtani's offensive contributions to the team.

I'm okay with Ohtani, as long as it doesn't mean Pederson with a glove on his hand, standing in the outfield, as a Giant. Pederson's worth is solely with his bat and that means he is only good for the team when he DHs. Maybe I am minimizing Ohtani's value somewhat but considering how good he is, it is weird to see how bad the teams he has played on (with Trout mostly, give or take some injuries of his own).