• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 6) Miami Heat vs. 3) Philadelphia 76ers

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from what I read they were trying to attach Batum or Marvin Williams deal in any deal involving Kemba.

Also-- id much rather get George Hill for nothing, and use the Cavs first rounder on Nance Jr. adn Clarkson---- then trade a lotto pick in a loaded draft for Kemba Walker. lol

George Hill, Nance Jr., and Clarkson for a late first rounder?

or

Kemba- and a terrible contract for a lotto pick in a loaded draft?

seems like common sense to me- but as they say- sometimes common sense isnt that common.

Batum has a bad contract but he’d actually improve the Cavs team. So as far as competing in 2018, he and Walker would have improved their chances. It still wouldn’t get them past the West teams, not likely at least.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@knowyourenemy , @Sparhawk , @flyerhawk , @Wamu , @Gman , @LogicMan , @mick7-1961

There is a interesting debate happening on Get Up.

Since only 3 people, outside of myself, actually watch the show, I will relay it here....

Assuming health, what roster would you want going forward....

Philly or Boston?

I'm so torn....

The fact that I am not a fan of that Horford contract and that Philly has so much cap space, I'm leaning there.

But,.......Kyrie, Hayward, Brown, Rozier, Tatum gives me extreme pause.

#SumOfItsParts

Or

#2FranchisePlayers

Obviously I'm biased but it is the Sixers by a large margin.

Tatum and Brown look like really good players that could be all-stars.

Simmons and Embiid look like generational players that could be Hall of Famers.

All the other pieces are secondary to that.

Kyrie and Hayward and Horford, if they were all healthy, would probably make this Celtics team better. But not by a whole lot and the Sixers have flexibility to bring in a top tier FA next year if needed.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from what I read they were trying to attach Batum or Marvin Williams deal in any deal involving Kemba.

Also-- id much rather get George Hill for nothing, and use the Cavs first rounder on Nance Jr. adn Clarkson---- then trade a lotto pick in a loaded draft for Kemba Walker. lol

George Hill, Nance Jr., and Clarkson for a late first rounder?

or

Kemba- and a terrible contract for a lotto pick in a loaded draft?

seems like common sense to me- but as they say- sometimes common sense isnt that common.
I actually forgot about the Batum situation.

You are correct.

But, maybe you could have gotten Howard instead.

Kemba and Mr. Baby Batter would have been interesting.

But, I think standing pat was the right choice.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Batum has a bad contract but he’d actually improve the Cavs team. So as far as competing in 2018, he and Walker would have improved their chances. It still wouldn’t get them past the West teams, not likely at least.
Agree with this.

But, they were balking at Hill's option year.

So, no way were they going to take Batum at 30 mil per.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is - if you’re at the point where you say that there is no one you can trade for that can make you competitive with the Warriors or Rockets...then LeBron is gone.
there wasnt anyone at the trade deadline but there very well might be in the offseason was the point i have been trying to make the whole fucking time. Geezus. Am I taking crazy pills?

If the Cavs get lucky and jump into the top 3- and Leonard's relationship with San Antonio is irrevocably broken- who can offer a better deal?

If the Wiz want to blow it up- and the Cavs jump into the top 3- who could offer a better deal for John Wall?

If the Blazers want ot shake it up after getting hugely dissapointed by getting SWEPT after being a 3 seed- would they take the 8th pick for CJ Mcollum who would be a fabulous #3 for the Cavs and give them a Kyrie-lite creator and shot maker?

If the Grizz decide to go full on rebuild- and make Gasol avaliable- would they move him for the 8th pick- seomthing CONFIRMED they wouldnt do during the trade deadline?

If the Twolves decide that Wiggins skill set is redundant and that they would move him- something they wouldnt do at the trade deadline- and that theyd prefer the cap flexibility and greaet young player- would they take the #8 pick for him in a loaded draft?

Its chess not checkers man. Try and keep up.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that the process was supposed to take 3 years. But Embiid took an extra year and Simmons lost a season to a broken foot.
Ultimately it boils down to whether you stomach your team having the Sixers 15-16 season where they won 10 games and lost something like 20 straight. That was some dark times.

Actually I think "Darker Times" is when the franchise is trying to win that year ... signs vets ... not many draft picks in future ... and they still stink. (let's say winning 18 games) There is no hope for future.

I think it helped that Philly fans understood the process ... and were OK with it. "We'll suck this year -- but we have a couple of pieces .... and a bunch of draft picks ... and in 2-3 years, we think we'll be good". (playoffs)

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should bring back Redick on a 1-2 year deal.
He's been huge for them IMO. As a veteran to teach the kids and such....and a nice outside shooter.

Most players want a longer-term deal at some point. I'm guessing JJ would prefer a 4-5 year contract at slightly lower per year rate -- than just signing for $20M again for 1 year.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously I'm biased but it is the Sixers by a large margin.

Tatum and Brown look like really good players that could be all-stars.

Simmons and Embiid look like generational players that could be Hall of Famers.

All the other pieces are secondary to that.

Kyrie and Hayward and Horford, if they were all healthy, would probably make this Celtics team better. But not by a whole lot and the Sixers have flexibility to bring in a top tier FA next year if needed.
Yeah....

It's not like you have two great players and several 7 foot bags of Shit rounding out the roster.

But, it's probably not a no brainer for everyone.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I think "Darker Times" is when the franchise is trying to win that year ... signs vets ... not many draft picks in future ... and they still stink. (let's say winning 18 games) There is no hope for future.

I think it helped that Philly fans understood the process ... and were OK with it. "We'll suck this year -- but we have a couple of pieces .... and a bunch of draft picks ... and in 2-3 years, we think we'll be good". (playoffs)

Look at the Nets who made an ill-advised run that made them terrible for years AND prevented them from even trying the process.

Or look at the Knicks with the Noah and Hardaway. Stupid contracts that would have, at best, made them a 1 and done in the playoffs.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@knowyourenemy , @Sparhawk , @flyerhawk , @Wamu , @Gman , @LogicMan , @mick7-1961

There is a interesting debate happening on Get Up.

Since only 3 people, outside of myself, actually watch the show, I will relay it here....

Assuming health, what roster would you want going forward....

Philly or Boston?

I'm so torn....

The fact that I am not a fan of that Horford contract and that Philly has so much cap space, I'm leaning there.

But,.......Kyrie, Hayward, Brown, Rozier, Tatum gives me extreme pause.

#SumOfItsParts

Or

#2FranchisePlayers

I think this offseason will make things a lot clearer. If the 76ers can land a premiere free agent, I think that tips the balance in their favor. Right now, I’d still pick them...but that’s obvious.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no way LeBron sells out like that to go to Philly.
I think he reups in Cleveland for 1 or 2 more years--- waits for the Lakers to get the situation a little better, and moves on.

Lebron will sign 1-year deals (only) -- for the Max -- as long as he stays with Cavs.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in this draft i just couldnt do it

personally id rather have Trae Young or Colin Sexton seeing as how they are cost controlled for years to come rather than Kemba----- and that doesnt even take into account guys like either Bagley, Bamba, or J.Jackson that will be there at 4 or 5.

Personally- i think J. Jackson is climbing up draft boards and is going to be the third pick.

Doncic and Ayton- in some order at #1 and #2---- then J. Jackson third....probably Bagley 4th and Bamba 5th.

Porter Jr. is the wild card- as he might be the most talented player in the whole draft but his back issues could scare teams.
Yeah, but we are in no man's land at #12 and 13 and could end up further back if a team jumps.

Your situation is different.

Worst case scenario is likely one of the Bridges or Sexton.

That's hella awesome.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most players want a longer-term deal at some point. I'm guessing JJ would prefer a 4-5 year contract at slightly lower per year rate -- than just signing for $20M again for 1 year.
He's getting close to the age that he won't be eligible to sign a long-term deal.

So, probably...

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone that would have been worth trading a lotto pick in a loaded draft for.
And no- i dont think DJ- a guy who could walk out the door in 3 months, was remotely even close to worth it.
Anyone else you could suggest?

It isn't really fair to do this -- but if the Cavs could do it over -- a package from the Suns (including Bledsoe and/or Booker -- plus other assets) might have been better than the Celtics offer. (or somehow make the Paul George deal work)

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, even though he seems to be part cyborg, time has to catch up to him sooner or later. lol
Hopefully as soon as he dons the purple and gold.

#SteveNashAllOverAgain

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but we are in no man's land at #12 and 13 and could end up further back if a team jumps.

Your situation is different.

Worst case scenario is likely one of the Bridges or Sexton.

That's hella awesome.
yah....honestly as i see it there are about 10-11 great prospects in this draft...it is the Clippers luck they would have 12 and 13...
maybe they can try and package those picks to move up.

I think J. Jackson or Bamba could be absolutely great starting building blocks and would fit great with the Clips if DJ leaves.

Either that --- Young or Sexton- if either falls would be great PGs to start a team with. Sexton is intriuging to me since he plays defense too.

Id be very happy with Mikal Bridges or Sexton at 8.....and Porter at 8 would be EXTREMELY tempting if he makes it that long.